Sudden change in temperature reading

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by SteinUlv, Jul 18, 2014.

1. SteinUlv

SteinUlv Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    Hi all,

I'm not sure if this question belongs here or a more specific nvidia forum but as I use MSI Afterburner I thought I'd start here.

So like I said I use Afterburner, I don't overclock my card, I just use Afterburner to monitor the temps of my card.

Usually my GTX 680 will idle between 40 and 44 degrees c. The other day when I booted up, Afterburner was showing that my 680 is now idling at between 29 and 31 degrees c.

I haven't changed anything on my rig, no additional software has been installed nor has any additional fans been installed.

Can anyone shed some light as to why my card's temperatures would suddenly get lower? I've checked the performance and all seems fine, borderlands 2 runs solid 60fps, kerbal space program, space engineers, skyrim. It doesn't look like any performance issue has occurred but it doesn't change the fact that this dip in temp has me freaked out. (I am obsessive when it comes to my temperatures :S)

Anyway, if anyone knows why this would happen let me know

I'm running Afterburner 3.0.1 and my nvidia driver is 314.22 (I know its old but I haven't gotten round to looking for a more updated stable driver)

Thanks

Peace.

2. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    You switch on your air conditioner? :D

Joking aside, idle frequencies are the same?

3. SteinUlv

SteinUlv Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    I assume its the same, I don't really know where I'd find that information unless it's
    core clock
    and
    memory clock

in which case both are idling at 324 MHz (I have no idea if that's what they were at before this temp drop)

hehe yea I am running AC now but it's never effected the temp of my gcard this much in the past, even with AC on in my room last year it only dropped the idle from 46 degrees c back to its usual 41

anyway, thanks for the first reply

4. SteinUlv

SteinUlv Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    Still looking for an thoughts on this problem...

5. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Was it a cold day?

Did you had frequencies stuck at load without noticing?
    If i overclock my monitor from 60hz to 75hz my memory clock gets stuck at load frequency and my idle temperature jumps 10ºC.

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    40+c is hot IMO for idling at 324 with low usage .
    Maybe some app is using 3d or hardware acceleration and now your not running that app , something in background .
    FWIW my 660ti runs around 27c at idle with room temps of 24c/74F so for 680 it be maybe little higher .
    Also fan profile can affect if the low, start % rpm is higher than defaults .

7. SteinUlv

SteinUlv Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    Nope, it's been some really hot days the last few days, and my room just keeps getting warmer which is what made me question why the card would idle colder lol.

As for the freq getting stuck, hmm I'm not sure. Like I said originally the idle temp has been 41 to 44 degrees C for nearly a year now. If the freq had got stuck wouldn't that effect overall performance? If so, I've never noticed performance issues.

I'm starting to think maybe there was something in the background that's either been removed via recent windows updates or just no longer runs period.

It would seem like I'm not experiencing any increase in load temps, borderlands 2 on high is not going higher than it used to be.

A friend said something about the gcard finally "settling" in, but is it possible that it would take a year to do so?

8. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    How long since you last clean your gpu? A bit of dust can easily affect temperatures. Do you have the same case cooling? Does it have dust? I bet that it´s not a afterburner reading problem - try to read temperature with various software at the same time.

9. SteinUlv

SteinUlv Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    The case cooling is the same, I have 5 fans - 2 top out, 1 front in, 1 side in, and 1 back out - plus the dual fans for my cpu and ofc the gpu fan. I make sure to keep the area around my rig and its insides as dust free as I can, using a re-purposed camera puffer thing.

I've checked the readings using HWMonitor and GPU-Z all while afterburner is also running, and each program shows the same - lower - temp reading. So yup, I have no clue why the sudden change because I haven't done anything aside turning it off one night after running at 44 idle then turning it on the next morning to find it running at the new lower temp - what could change in 1 day, I have no idea.

10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I would not worry as now your running cooler and more in line with what would expect temps at idle .
    Since your max temps are same, it nothing like GPU paste or cooling .
    It would either be some app doing it before or somehow your idle fan speed changed in fan profile .

11. SteinUlv

SteinUlv Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    Yup, I hear ya. Really it was mostly about the unknowing of why.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Peace.