AMD to cut thousands of jobs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's the management that needs to go.

3. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    but then who would run the company ? ;)

that's what all management think! ive rarely seen a good management team, they are a very scarce thing.

4. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    The thing is, if AMD goes out of business then Nvidia will end up fully dominating the market which means, higher prices, and no one that can offer and alternative.

AMD need all the help they can get. They offer low price competing hardware - and their drivers are becoming rather good.

I think my next upgrade will be all AMD besides the CPU; unless (and that's a BIG unless) AMD can bring out a good CPU in the immediate future.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

5. -=WolverinE=-

-=WolverinE=- Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX560Ti DirectCu II
    I'm not an AMD fan, but I respect them as a company, alternative and competitor. This is sad news, because the company is dying and good people are losing their jobs. I hope they get back on their feet soon.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Not necessarily. When companies "die" they usually get broken up and sold. Hopefully AMDs GPU business would look enticing for the likes of Intel. Dont know who would be interested in their CPU business since its a tough one manage competitively.

7. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    That's if Intel takes them on. They stand a better chance while obtaining the 'monopoly and monetary status' they currently have. If they get to broken up it doesn't leave much of a leg to stand on.

Sounds like they need better higher management.

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They might just end up getting more funds from Abu Dhabi. Meh, lazy management.

9. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    im not seeing amd is successful at all why are they cutting jobs? they not selling and making enough profit? even though their hardware are cheap? maybe becuase intel is just better. Intel maybe a lil expensive but its worth the price. how come intel is not laying people off work even though their hardware is more expensive? simple answer Intel is just better than amd. it maybe expensive but a lot of people like more performance and overclockablity versus cheap and low performing cpu's like amd lol

10. Pandelas

Pandelas Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 dual x
    They need nothing more guy's, they need our support.
    I don't wanna see again intel-nvidia monopoly like the old times, even if amd products are (and gettind) worse

11. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    IMHO this mess came about when people started to treat GPU Brands as Football Teams.

Instead of going for best bank for buck without gimmicks, people just buy a card because it has a certain name on it.

I know people will argue this because they have nothing better to do, but it's my opinion and it will stand no matter what you say. It's something I have noticed in many forums over the years.

I may not post in those other forums myself, but I read through them.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    amd cpu`s had my support years ago, I go where the performance is, as far as cpu`s go they do not deserve my hard earned money

13. Q6600

Q6600 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF GTX 3080
    +1:banana:

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  15. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Maybe AMD should just quit producing CPU's and Focus on GPU's Intel Vs Amd is not a war amd could win. While Nvidia vs AMD is a chance.

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Except for the fact there is no money in enthusiast GPU's for the most part. The real money comes from the Tesla/Firepro and integrated GPU's/CPU's (Trinity, Tegra, etc.). Enthusiast GPU's aren't that hard to make so they are an easy high-margin money source, limited as they may be.

Not to mention that the desktop PC is a dead end at this point going forward, no need to be in denial about that. Your smartphone nearly has the power of a high end desktop PC from 5-6 years ago, the new Windows 8 tablets/ultrabooks will have 99% of the power of a PC (the power that actually counts to 99% of users) and be able to do 99% of the tasks any desktop can do while remaining ultra portable.

This desktop PC to my left is probably the last one I'll ever end up building for myself. Intel has seen the writing on the wall for a long time already, hence Haswell. Nvidia are no different, hence their focus on Tegra (which is a real money maker for them, especially with CUDA).

AMD are also starting to get onboard finally, they just need an architecture that can keep up. As one person succinctly put it, "The took a Server focused architecture and put it in a Laptop... brilliant!".

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    AMD is focusing on APU, so I won't expect amd beating intel anytime soon.
    APUs are great for middle level destop PC and high-middle end laptops.

I guess AMD really need to find or create constant need for APUs, like pcs in office running on Trinity APU, instead of iCore3... or laptops with APU is like tripple win (cpu + gpu + low energy usage for it) and I'd find that reasonable.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Amd is on a roll, If they keep this up there might not be any workforce that actual makes there cpu,gpu that makes there money or lack there of it as of late.

If they go belly up it would be very bad for everyone

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I had no idea the PC market was shrinking....

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD products aren't getting worse.... AMD has shifted focus from "high-end" processors to budget/mainstream processors. Of course they're of little interest to enthusiasts....but they provide value to those just looking for a cheap, capable computer for web browsing, e-mail, word processing and multimedia.