The 13th Doctor

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Loobyluggs, Jul 17, 2017.

1. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    At least give her the chance of actually playing the doctor first before you send her to the hangman noose. lol

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I can't ignore the politics of it, and the only person that will hurt is her. Y'see? Everyone will be focusing on the politics more than the performance - and that's not my fault, that's the fault of the people who made the almost inconceivable decision to make a male character a female character just for politic reasons.

She made it worse by doing that tweet/making that statement, because she has just written herself out of her own contract.

Fans:

"Hey! We really like something"

Executives:

"Hey! We don't care about you at all and just want to alienate you for political reasons to wrong a right that was never an issue in a make believe story that has no basis on reality in the slightest and therefore is exempt from our own small-minded opinions that only we and we alone have"

Fans:

"Urm...are you related to George Lucas?"

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I am glad i did not mention the dirty spoon. Lol

But yeah i cannot really understand any off this, its a quirky 54 year old sci fi show, so i can't really get too hung up on the casting of a woman in the roll after the show has spent the last 54 years fighting dustbins on wheel inside wobbly sets using plungers as weapons. Lol

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Oh, I agree - there is more than enough sci-fi out there for me to enjoy, it's just a shame they think it's perfectly acceptable to re-write something, instead of actually writing something interesting.

I remember DW episodes that had The Doctor dealing with difficult, ethical questions about the denizens of the universe throughout time - and yet here he is being re-written for immoral and unethical reasons, with an actress no one really knew anything about and who didn't make it into the BBC top salaries list.

Cheap, low budget show just got a cheap low-budget actress with a cheap low-budget storyline, for cheap low-budget reasons.

I guess what they say is true; even the walls of Jericho fell.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    eh I think doctor who need to go back on hiatus, the last 2 season have been bad, the season before the 1 that just end was horrendous, Changing the front runner and writes and gender isnt really gona fix this imo

Till this day I still think the original 63-96 are much much better , they dont play them anymore cause BBC claims they where lost

Hell they wont even play the Christopher Eccleston episodes and they really only doctor incarnations i liked of the new one.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's only the real early episodes up until 1978. They weren't lost, they were deliberately recorded over with newer shows to save archive space (real reason would be monetary). They had a demand that all the copies that got sent to any station were destroyed after playing, most likely so they could only play them once and not repeat them later in the year. The Doctor Who that most people on here grew up with are available, that's from the fourth doctor.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Do you mean 1970, they found the missing Pertwee episodes many years ago, although it was not until the restoration team was formed that we got a watchable colour DVD release of the full Pertwee era.......so at this stage i think we have about 20 plus serials missing from Hartnell and Troughton left to find, i think that is about 90 something individual episodes.

8. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Will she know how to use a screwdriver (bad joke sorry)

9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Not just a bad joke, literally banned from being shown on uk adverts soon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40638343

Along with other ones like "man don't know how to use a sink"

10. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Do not watch Dr Who.

PC move to be honest.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I welcome the move for advertising - as I think that adverts will be judged on whether they can make us laugh or not.

But...I garuntee you the only people who take offense to the models in the adverts are the ones who do not look like the models in the adverts.

It's a very simple conversation:

"We want to stop models being used in advertising because it exploits models!"

"Urm, it's not exploiting you, because you are not a model - surely it is up to the models whether or not they choose a modelling career or not?"

"NO! It's up to us! WE are the ones who take offence to the existence of these models bec-"

"-WHOAH! What a minute...whoah whoah whoah, YOU do not look like a model, correct?"

"Correct..."

"And you do not have a career in modelling, correct?"

"...Correct..."

"...and these models have made a conscious decision to work in the modelling industry, and to earn money to be self-sufficient, in a highly regulated and safe environment, correct?"

"...Correct..."

"So, why are how are you in any way shape or form affected by them being a model?"

"...we, um....because it exploits women!..."

"No. No it doesn't, you just don't like the fact that some women are able to work as a model, and you are not. Hiding behind the 'exploit' narrative mealy exposes this fact. The truth is NONE of these women care what you think, and just want you to STFU, unless that is, you are prepared to financially compensate them for making them redundant?"

"...um..."

"Thought not".

12. shinyblueflame

shinyblueflame Guest

GPU:
    MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 / 4GB
    i miss david tennant