Philips Brings Quantum Dot Monitors to Europe

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. PeteBeMe

PeteBeMe Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce
    Hurrah for more affordable colour! Response time? Input lag?

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    As always, it depends mostly on the panel type. QD color correction really only affects colors, not the panel's speed.

4. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Guess quantum is the new buzzword :D

5. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
  6. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

This

7. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    TBF the physical principle the tech is based on is called quantum confinement, I can't really blame the PR people for jumping on that lol

8. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Will look forward to seeing a review of this little beauty :)

That and a QHD version ofc ^^

9. Enizax

Enizax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 TUF OC
    I think their Marketing team made the leap first and CC'd PR in the management mail chain :nerd:

10. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

Even tho this still is the usual defective LCD technology, just with a fancy 30 yearold - now recycled backlight....

...Very interested to see the response times and if it can do 144hz and so on.

OLED will still make any LCD look like garbage, but OLED monitors are still at least 5 years away, if we stop dreaming and get realistic.

11. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I can't wait 5 years for a decent picture! My ROG Swift is dying now damn it!

12. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'm sorry to hear it. I was expecting it to last for much longer :/

Regarding this monitor and color reproduction, if they price it right, it may be a killer feature. Having wide gamut monitors at home (good old HP2475W) and work (Dell U2713H), it's really difficult to switch to one incapable of covering the most of AdobeRGB.

It would be great to find QHD + wide gamut + low lag + adaptive refresh rate + acceptable price. Even at standard static 60Hz, such monitors are really expensive.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ya ya ya, where is my affordable OLED tech that is supposed to replace LCD/LED and be Equal to CRT's 10 more years off?

14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    and some "nice" cadmium as well (Q-dot)
    while other (non samsung panel) brands like LG can provide the same/"better" color without using Cad...

and as long as OLED have a third of the brightness of an led,
    only last a few years before dropping another 50% in brightness,
    i dont see it making sense to spend twice as much (or more).

15. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I have no idea what gives with that technology. We have TVs but not displays.

And let's face it, the burn-in issue has been solved mostly. At least to a degree where it could be used for displays.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Question: Why were plasma monitors never a mainstream thing? And I mean modern plasma, not those oldschool monochrome plasma monitors used in the mesozoic era. Dat 1981 PLATO V plasma display.
    [​IMG]

The last generation of plasmas were superior to LCDs in most ways. I bought a plasma TV knowing it didn't have the same burn in/power consumption/loss of brightness/aging problems older generation plasmas did. I've had it for years now and it hasn't lost any noticeable amount of brightness, the power consumption is listed as a typical 109W on the back (which is crazy, that's less than standard LCDs of the same size), it has viewing angles an LCD can't reproduce along with contrast.

Anyway, I'm selling some quantum air for anyone interested. It lights itself up... but you have to superheat it into plasma first.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    plasmas have a couple of disadvantages vs led for the past 3-4y now.
    most lcds have a wider color gamut, have basically no loss of color/contrast etc.at +170* viewing angle,
    leds are way more efficient (never seen a plasma that had a "cold" screen like the led's), i tested a full array 55" UHD for a while as monitor:
    100w on nearly 100% B/C/backlight and around 60w with normal settings (still to bright for me), which a plasma will not be able to do.

and with local dimming/full array are identical or better on contrast/black levels, what the best plasma can do (multiple times more expensive).

but for me the worst is the 60Hz limits on the panels (no, any higher number is only used in the software/chip, and NOT the real screen refresh rate), since i hate flickering screens.

i'm not saying throw it out, but when i see how good the led driven lcd's are, offering decent sizes at a good price (a 2015 sony uhd 55X85C is 1500$, vs the 2500$ i spend in 1998 for a 32" widescreen tube with 100Hz)...
    and there is a reason why almost no tv maker is offering +70% with oled.
    and its NOT the price. especially when you have people spending 10-30K on a large UHD from (sony/lg etc)..

18. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    There's an electronics store in Helsinki that has been selling OLED TV for the past year I think.

Too bad it's a TV and costs over 2000 euros. But man, the colours on it were magnificent along with the black levels.