AMD Thread Optomizer = BSOD

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Norvekh, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I'm not quite sure why it does it, but I get instant BSOD upon entering Windows and having the driver load. I thought maybe I had my timings too tight and it was more sensitive now, but after tweaking the timings, voltages, and leaving it at default clocks I can say for sure that it was the cause of the BSODs. Luckily I have a startup manager and was able to prevent it to turn on as it cannot be uninstalled from Safe Mode (requires Windows Installer, d'oh).

This is really too bad as it sounds like it might prove to add some nice performance boosts. Has anyone else had similar problems with it? I know this is a bit early as it was just added but if it is like me all it took was the first restart.

This is a quick link about the file: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1443

2. Clements

Clements Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 670
    Personally, I've had no problems with it, but I have seen others reporting issues after installing it.

3. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Interesting, have you noticed any performance differences? Or is there no noticable difference?

4. Cycloid

Cycloid Master Guru

GPU:
    2x256MB Geforce 7800GTs in SLi
    What Error codes does the BSOD report?

I also have no problems (yet) but haven't noticed any improvements either... Only ran 3dmark06 and Morrowind though!

5. IUMaestro

IUMaestro New Member

GPU:
    [eVGA 6800u PCIe]
    same

After loading it I got BSODs on startup too as soon as the app ran..

This does not seem like an AMD product.. seems like just some dude who wrote it. not sure tho. Usually you'd expect an AMD logo.

Anyway - had to go into Safe Mode and remove it from startup manager, then go uninstall it.

Before posting here I googled around and found many with the same problem, those who have used it report no difference in performance.

6. Clements

Clements Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 670
    Yep, no performance difference as far as I can see.

I can confirm however that it does fix certain very minor issues with programs that use RDTSC, a few of which I actually do use that report % CPU idle and other such info - and without this fix they give bogus data instead.

For most users I would say do not install this, as it is not really worth it in my view.

7. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I should've written down the error number, but I'm not going to reinstall just to see the error. I do remember it was a memory read/write error however but that is all I remember. Should've thought about that, oh well. At least uninstalling it fixed it.