Thinking hard about folding

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by padishah, Jan 13, 2011.

1. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    i just might have speed up lol ive just been folding sooo slow lol :whip: :war: :D

2. Ghost15

Ghost15 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 465 SC 1GB
    with your 10 million point lead, and higher PPD output I don't think you have anything to worry about for a while!

3. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    Man i cant wait to Watercool this thing sounds like a hair dryer

even though my temps arent as bad as i thought they would be

CPU SMP 7 is 65-70°c
    GPU one is at 66°c
    GPU two is at 75°c

not too bad the noise is deafing though

4. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA: 2xSLI 580HC, 480HC
    Those are excellent GPU temps. Is the temp range you gave for the CPU your range of maximum core temps or the overall CPU temp? If reporting the overall CPU temperature then 65-70 may be too high. At the moment my CPU temp is 55°C but my individual maximum core temps range from 63 to 71. I expect the hottest of my cores (core 1) to max out at 76 once this room warms up. 76 may be a little warm for some people but I'm ok with it. My case is known for having poor airflow but is excellent for holding lots of radiators after some customizing. I replaced the acrylic in the side panel with Modders Mesh last week and can now run this rig with the side panel on.

I hear you, regarding the noise. I was folding on two GTX-295 cards for a short time and both of them needed their fans set to 100% for folding as well as gaming. Boy was that loud! I might as well have been using a leaf blower. Fast forward 20 months and I had switched over to a full watercooling set up. It turns out that I am now running more fans than ever (six 120mm and three 140mm) at max, and while this wouldn't pass muster as an HTPC it is certain tollerable here on my desk. Any louder than it is would be a problem though. The 120mm fans are CoolerMaster R4 and the 140mm fans came with my case. The R4 fans peak at 1800 RPMs on my fan controller.

5. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    For the CPU those are core temps the 1-2 run 70 is the 3-4 run 65 ish

I might pull the trigger on the water cooling stuff today just need vga water blocks, barbs and another radiator and im good to go

6. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    Hmm i seem to have run into a problem with the GPU client my games now crash when i try to play them i uninstalled the folding gpu client and it cleared up any ideas on what might cause this?

7. Zboe

Zboe Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    Not sure if you'll see this but in case it helps anybody else, It is recommended to pause GPU folding if doing another GPU intensive task. I use the systray GPU folding client so it makes pausing (properly) easy.

8. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    I shut dow the client completely and still had the crashes it wasnt until i uninstalled it that the crashes stopped

9. Zboe

Zboe Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    Were you folding with SLI enabled or disabled?

10. iancook221188

GPU:
    im having problems pausing the GPU client have you check in precision or afterburner to see if it is still running on the gpu? i.e is the gpu running at 100% still

11. Zboe

Zboe Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    I know that for me, afterburner and GPU-Z both aren't tracking GPU usage for folding...mine read 0% and 0% right now. Only way I can tell they are working are the elevated temps and that HFM is showing progress on the GPU clients and completed WUs. Not sure what the heck is going on.

12. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    Sli is enabled

and im 100% sure that the client is turned off completely its just weird

13. Zboe

Zboe Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    You had it enabled but were running two clients then? Pretty sure you should disable SLI if you want to fold using multiple GPU clients. At least try it and see what happens.

14. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    When i was folding even in sli each client was set to use a different GPU it was working great for folding

the problem comes into play when i want to game i have to completely uninstall the gpu client to beable to play games without the driver crashing every few minutes even the opengl used for my G15 wont work when it happens

15. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Regarding the SLI, with the latest Nvidia Driver, you don't need to disable it. However you can try both and see what works best.

Furthermore, you are using the GPU3 Beta Systray Client v6.32 so I would suggest that you try to use GPU3 Beta Client Console Client v6.31 (Details) and maybe that will eliminate this problem.

Have you used Driver Sweeper (Details) to remove all previous drivers and install the latest one? Also, since you keyboard (Logitech G15) is different, can you try with a normal keyboard and see what happens? It could a rare hardware conflict or something.

16. padishah

padishah Active Member

GPU:
    2X Pny 470gtx's
    Thanks Panther i will try the console version later tonight if it continues ill try you trouble shooting

17. iancook221188

GPU:
    thanks for the 6.32 panther