Identify parts needed

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ifixit, Oct 15, 2016.

1. ifixit

ifixit Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x > n dead 290x
    I have a faulty Sapphire R9 290x it's missing two transistors Q700 and Q701,they are edge of board line along from mosfets. Roughly, can't miss em near the edge of the board near the 2nd to rear screw, back side.

Does anyone have any knowledge on what transistors to replace it with, if I can carefully get some wet solder or solder them myself perhaps with off board using wires?

and if I pulled a similar Transistor off a R7 260x would they do? Think they would be compatable voltage wise?

My eyes are to old to see that small and I used a ruddy great magnifying glass, i see some just labelled with writing but cards just too old and grubby as well, I also have no schematic and did search google etc, but suspect it's juts not out there, so any modders know what those are , whether there lack of being there would give me a display bit inability to load the driver.

Kind regards
    Richie

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  3. ifixit

ifixit Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x > n dead 290x
    yep those two, finally found the culprit, after all this time of repeatedly trying drivers, it may be the last owner was just rough with it. I have an R7 260x and a older gts250 i'll see if I can wrangle up a solution and replace them.

PS cheers for the close up of a good card, so I could be sure.

further scouring the internet revealed an image I could see 1am on the transistors and it appears it's just a standard transistor.

replacing them even with my digital soldering stations going to be fun..so small, my eyes are so old.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  4. valadorf

valadorf Guest

I'm also looking for the proper transistor on an r9 280x

Mine is marked 1AM with a horizontal 7, I know it's a sot23 transistor but which one? Thanks in advance