EK shows De-Lidded Ivy Bridge CPU Cooling Solution

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    EK Water Blocks introduces the Supremacy PreciseMount Add-on Naked Ivy. This product is world-first of it's kind - it is the mounting mechanism upgrade for existing cooling device, designed to suppor...

EK shows De-Lidded Ivy Bridge CPU Cooling Solution

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Is there even a market for such a product?

3. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    This will fill the gap a removed IHS leaves, letting you sit the cooler on the cpu die, not bad but the tests are in already with direct die mounting and it's only 1 - 3C better than if you had left the IHS in place (after de-lidding ), especially if the IHS has been lapped.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Or just buy Sandy Bridge...

5. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Meh, x8 x8 on a gen2 mobo is pants, <2133 ram is pants too.

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Intel is dumb. Why not just solder the IHS on?

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They obviously had a reason for doing it as they would have to retool to make it happen. Regardless the TIM isn't the problem, it's the gap. Haswell will probably not be soldered but they fixed the heat problems supposedly.

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If intel continues this trend then there will be a market created for it.

9. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    Probably is Intel just saying, "Hey guys if you want to over-clock our processors feel free to void the warranty first".

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Most likely to intentionally hinder overclockers while saving a penny at the same time.

Intel have no competition, the high end CPU market is a monopoly, they can do whatever they want.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It makes no sense for Intel to hinder overclocking in this way unless they have another motive and this is the only way to achieve it.
    If they were to deliberately hinder overclocking for the sake of it, it would surely be done in a way that keeps the chips from harm, rather than a way that causes harm.
    Otherwise what is the point?

Its possible that they have restricted overclocking, not to save the chips, but to prevent their performance being so high that future generations have no value.
    But rather than inflame the enthusiast crowd with the lock of a bus, they chose to make it look like an insurmountable problem, which turned out not to be so.

They didnt do enough to restrict performance though, as the next gen truly isnt worth the upgrade from even Sandybridge for most.

12. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    And they have a good reason, is the more expensive LGA 2011 platform, they don't want the lower platform interfere with the more expensive. Is the same in the netbook's market, they don't allow vendors to put more than 1GB of Ram otherwise they sell then the chips at a higher price, in this case they don´t want netbooks to compete in the same market of the cheapest notebooks.

I don't believe they do this inadvertently, they have plenty of testing of course they know the chips doesn't have the best cooling solution.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Well imagine how much worse it would be for them if everyone could squeeze another 300-700MHz out of their Ivy Bridge chips.

I just hope Haswell doesn't have the same BS cheapassery, I've waited for so long there isn't much sense in upgrading to anything other than Haswell at this point.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yeah, that was part of what I was saying.
    They at least managed to prevent that unless you are prepared to de-lid your chip.

From what I have read, the first releases of Haswell at least, arent a lot quicker than IB.
    Without looking them up, they are about as fast again as IB was to SB.
    I just wouldnt upgrade unless it really is necessary.

Aye

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It isn't really necessary, upgrading is a matter of want rather than need, lol.

I want much better single threaded performance, a W3530 is a first gen i7, Nehalem/Bloomfield/whatever. A Haswell chip will offer a significant clock for clock improvement over this thing.