GT 740 questions, should i pick up 2 and SLI?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Gargantua65, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Gargantua65

Gargantua65 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA / GeForce GT 740 2GB
    I just picked up an EVGA Geforce GT 2GB at Fry's for about $100. I never can find any useful articles or sites with anything pertaining to this card. So, a couple questions for the experts here, one.. Is this card worth picking up a 2nd and running SLI? or did I waste $100? If it's worthy, I'd like to put a new mid level gaming rig together with the dual 740's, an MSI Pro Gaming Carbon, at least a gold level 850w psu (I was told min. 850w for SLI) half Max out the RAM @ 16GB of 2666mhz (4 x 4GB sticks)..32 max
    I know AMD isn't the powerhouse intel is, but it's my budget powerhouse.. so an AMD FX-8250 (Which is an 8350 with a switch turned off. Easily turned on, now an 8350 for about a hundred bucks less - OC'd to 4.0GHZ,)
    I think I'm going to throw it all into an open air case (Antec Skeleton or probably the Win D-Frame Open Air Computer Chassis Blk & Gold)

we can start with the video card(s) for a quick response..
    Thanks in advance

2. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    Yeah. Return the card. Buy a used 970, literally more than twice as fast as 2 740's in sli.

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Short answer. You cannot SLI GT 740 cards, period. For mid range, you're looking at something like a GTX 960 or better.

4. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    There's that, too.

5. Gargantua65

Gargantua65 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA / GeForce GT 740 2GB
    Thanks HeavyHemi, I guess that puts a halt to that. I'll go with SuperAverage [like my rig will be] and grab a 960 or 70. Much appreciated.