Samsung 840evo and Rapid Mode

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by stevevnicks, Oct 25, 2016.

1. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    After Having my head done in (lol) with all this 4K 1q depth or what ever it is lol I thought with every new high end ssd massive gains were across the board with the Nand tech and I was even more confuse when I was see monster figures from my 840 with benchmarks.

with HH saying your benching a ram cache drive, I thought WTF I'm not using any ram cache drives ?

in the end started getting frustrated (lol) it seemed people thought I was trying to skew the results I was seeing or that's what it felt like lol

anyway thanks to Koniakki and Denial it turns out I was using an Ram cache drive, unknown to me was that when you use samsung's Rapid drive mode it really just creates an ram cache (well I didn't know that's how the software worked)

hence getting such outlandish results lol

oh well if ya don't know, ya just don't know.

anyway heres the results without Rapid enabled

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so now I know :)

2. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    Only thing I still don't understand is I cant seem to activate AHCI mode ? it's enabled in the bois and I have drivers installed ?

any idea's ?

[​IMG]

3. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    You're probably in RAID mode which has all the advantages of AHCI with some added benefits.

Most mobo manufacturers recommend you use this mode anyway, regardless of if you're using RAIDed drives or not.

EDIT: Ah, just read you've checked and you're definitely in AHCI mode in BIOS, I'm not sure then, sorry.

Could be the software just not reporting it correctly?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Windows 10 anniversary update? Magician 4.9.7 has a driver which reads AHCI mode but is not signed properly so it is blocked. You can see it in event viewer while magician is running. If you can see AHCI in device manager -> IDE ATAPI controllers, you're using AHCI.

5. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    windows 10 version 1607 (OS Build 14393.321)

it installed the driver ok i think it's from asus website for the motherboard, i checked for an update using update driver but it says it's the latest version.

when i installed windows 10 i installed in raid mode to try out intel RST and SSD as cache drive, after which i disabled the cache drive feature put the SSD back into normal SSD device rebooted PC changed from raid to AHCI in bios, installed the drivers.

although Samsung magician seems to say or think I'm still in raid, tried uninstall Samsung magician and intel RST even disabled in bios.

so I'm stumped ?

this is details from event viewer

DriverName iaahcic.inf_amd64_6c0fb3e072c6ec98\iaahcic.inf

DriverVersion 14.5.0.1081

DriverProvider Intel Corporation

DeviceInstanceID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C02&SUBSYS_85341043&REV_05\3&11583659&0&FA

SetupClass {4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

RebootOption false

UpgradeDevice true

IsDriverOEM true

InstallStatus 0x0

DriverDescription Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's fine, you're using AHCI. Samsung needs to update their software.

7. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    ahh cheers fella.