Looking to upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wrxsnowman04, Oct 18, 2016.

1. wrxsnowman04

wrxsnowman04 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Hey guys first post on the guru!

So I've been building since 2004. However the last couple years I've kinda been out of the loop and keeping track of the PC tech progress. I upgraded to a GTX 970 last year from a 7970, so my GPU is pretty good at the moment.

Anyways, here is what I'm rocking and looking to see if it would be worth my while to upgrade. I've been doing some research but in comparison to what I have I'm not sure if my dollar is worth the upgrade.

i7-2600k OC 4.5 stable
    Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1866
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

So far I'm not really having any issues with this setup. However, I haven't built a rig in going on 4 years other than swapping GPUs. Here is what I'm looking to do

i7-6700k or i56600k
    Gskill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 3000
    GTX 1070 maybe
    ASUS Z-170A

I just have an itch to build a rig. I'd use my case, SSD's, and everything else. I'm just wondering if this would be worth while. I haven't seen anything about upcoming Intel chips worth waiting for, or Nvidia GPUs. Based on what I've researched, it would be a pretty good benchmark increase. However, for gaming applications would it be worth while to consider an upgrade. Thanks guys!

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Just upgrade GPU and look into upgrading your monitor if you still on 1080 reso.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Skylake that you have referenced is faster than your Sandy Bridge, but isn't worth the upgrade. Kaby Lake is just around the corner and would make more sense if you are 'Intel only', or consider AMD Zen when it is released.

4. wrxsnowman04

wrxsnowman04 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    I've considered that. However, I am deployed so I can't really see how my 970 does on some of the newer games like BF1 and such so I'm not sure if I can justify getting just a GPU upgrade right now.

I haven't seen anything on the Kaby Lake. How far around the corner are we looking? What is intel proposing. Same with AMD. I used to be an AMD fan, but following the Phenom release I wasn't a big fan of Bulldozer so I switched to my Sandy Bridge. If AMD can compete with Kaby Lake, and the price/performance warrants my business I'd consider.