Windows 7 SSD install problems

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by ARieger54, Mar 16, 2014.

1. ARieger54

ARieger54 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970
    I just bought a new OCZ Vertex 460 120GB SSD to use as my primary drive with windows on it. I've tried installing Windows 7 Pro multiple times and every time I have had issues. I've formatted the the SSD as NTFS in Windows to see if that would help which did not work. It would freeze halfway through the installation process I've booted the installation disk and used CMD and diskpart to format the SSD that way which allows windows to complete the installation from the disk but after the installation when it tries to boot into windows to complete the setup process it hangs on the "starting windows" screen. It is not frozen because the windows logo continues to fade in and out but after two hours it does not proceed.

I have the SSD hooked up through the SATA III port and in my BIOS SATA is set in ACHI mode. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can try download so called F6 drivers of SATA controller from Intel site, place them to USB stick, launch installation and press F6 during first (or next) screen to load driver before installation begins. And I would partitioned disk within installation itself.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/De...ersion= &DownloadType=Drivers

See "f6flpy-" bundles.

And generic advices like change either SATA port or SATA cable.
    Are you sure there is no additional SATA controller from 3rd party company and you are not connecting disk to it?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  3. ARieger54

ARieger54 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970
    I'll definitely give that a try. I've changed SATA ports and cables so both of those are good. I've just been struggling to get windows installed and working. I used the diskpart utility in CMD because it would freeze during installation when i let the installer do the formatting but ill give it another shot with the drivers and such

4. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    I wouldn't worry about ACHI since you can always turn it on later through a registry setting change.Try using standard hard drive settings in bios.

You may also want to verify that your bios is not set to install only an OS that uses the secure boot like Windows 8 does. Not sure if that option is available in your bios or not but you may want to check.

5. ARieger54

ARieger54 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970
    When I tried loading the "f6flpy" drivers and went to install Windows it gave me the error 0x80300001 saying it could not install on the selected partition. I tried downloading the drivers off the Asus website and it gave me error 0x80070057 saying it could not install on the partition as well. The only way I have been able to complete the installation is by formatting and partitioning using diskpart through CMD

6. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Windows 7 is installed and working?

You may want to verify that the SSD sectors are in alignment.
    Use this tool or information to verify it.

http://diskat.net/background-en.html

http://diskat.net/home-en.html

More information can be found here:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/partition-alignment/

7. ARieger54

ARieger54 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970
    I've not been able to get a working installation onto the SSD. I've tried running two different installation CD's and an installation from a USB drive which i downloaded from the microsoft website. I can get as far as the starting windows screen after installation but it hangs and eventually blue screens but I've not been able to see the error code on the blue screen.

8. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Items to try:

1) Default your bios.
    2) Remove any other connections to other hard drives. The only connections should be the SSD and the DVD for the Windows 7 installation disk.
    3) Remove any and all USB devices connected to the computer besides the keyboard and mouse.
    4) Remove any and all expansion boards. If your motherboard has video on it you may even want to install windows using the onboard video.
    5) Defaulting your bios should remove any overclock that you may have but verify that all values are set to default.

Go from there. Lets us know.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  10. ARieger54

ARieger54 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970
    I have tried rearranging the drives in the Bios to no avail. I ended up installing windows with the drive on a normal sata port which worked fine. When I did the registry edit and enabled Ahci I still have had no luck booting into Windows.