Motherboard replacement help

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by motherkennedy, Jun 19, 2012.

1. motherkennedy

motherkennedy Guest

GPU:
    not sure
    I sent my grandmothers laptop to BB's Geeksquad and I was informed that I needed to replace the motherboard ( at a small cost of $375.00 and the computer was only $225.00 new). Somehow there is a password on the motherboard itself and no one know the password. So it's been 15 years since I replace the motherboard on a computer ( and never on a laptop ). I can get the motherboard for $55.00 but I am unsure of myself now. When messing around inside a tower I used to have a grounding kit (to keep the static electricity out of the tower) and a small specialized tool kit. I don't see any mention of that on any of the boards I've looked at recently. Do I still need these items? Any advice on this project would be greatly appreciated. I have the backup disk to restore a new motherboard and would love to get started soon, but I'm afraid to do so until I've had some feed back.
    Thanks in advance

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    The one thing with laptops is they are a pita to replace the motherboard.The tiny screws and such and keep track of what one went where etc. That's why the high price.I would still look around for a smaller shop where the prices are likely lower.

3. motherkennedy

motherkennedy Guest

GPU:
    not sure
    Thank you,
    I still feel I can do it, but I don't want to fry the motherboard with static electricity, and I cannot find a kit like I used to have. Are they protected somehow now, or is this still a high possibility

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    You sent the laptop to Best Buy Geeks Squad?They told you that motherboard is faulty ?
    Just our of mere curiosity,how it is faulty?Has anyone told you in accurate detail WHY is faulty?

Ok,let me explain a bit.
    For years i cringed when i heard horror stories about Geek Squad and insane prices for repairs that even granma could fix.
    Man,as i earn my daily bread fixing laptops...how on Earth they can get away with this?
    Maybe the motherboard is faulty,maybe it has a dead MOSFET, wich is only 30 cents to replace....but let's be logic.
    Computer gets to repair shop ,a diagnostic is done,client is informed.
    Did you see any photo of the dead motherboard?Did anyone told you WHY is dead?
    Why didn't they offered you a brand new laptop ?For merely 450 usd you sn buy a brand new laptop wich has 2 years of warranty.

Password on BIOS?Those people ever heard of Jtag ing a motherboard or dumping BIOS trough a programmer ,then hacking it?
    Sorry fellow guru for all this,but sometimes i feel like i want to choke those people.
    They treat customers like sheeps,and get away with it.
    Sorry,but you can get a second opinion on a real computer repair shop.
    And,for sure,more cheaper.
    More,google your laptop's motherboard,find a good seller and buy a new one,even refurbished,and believe me,is not that hard to change a laptop motherboard.
    Google your model with "exploded view" , or "disassemble guide".Start from there and you take it slowly ,step by step.
    Sorry again and good luck.

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Yeah I didn't mean to talk you out of it just what you were in for.Step by step like was said.Just ground yourself on something before touching things you don't really need the wrist strap.

6. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    What kind of laptop is this?

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Geeksquad man I've heard some stories about those guys...all of them bad.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012