Keyboard not responding Inside BIOS

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by babokim, Jan 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. babokim

babokim Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte 780 ti
    Hey peeps.

Quick specs before I ask.
    Windows 7 64bit
    MSI XPOWER z87
    i7-4770k
    Gigabyte 780 ti
    Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600Mhz CL9
    Asus Essence STX
    Corsair ax 860i
    2x Corsair SSD Force GS 128gb

Just received my mobo today and wanting to play in BIOS I hooked it all up and pressed start.

Now my problem here is that I am able to use my keyboard during startup to press DEL (BIOS) and F11 (Boot Menu) so I know my keyboard works. If I enter Boot menu I can choose with my mouse so that also works.

Pressing DEL to enter BIOS is the problem here. I can get there, though after that my mouse is gone and my keyboard only responds to ALT+CTRL+DEL (Reset the comp), ALT+TAB and TAB where both of those make my screen go black. Pressing DEL rapidly give me a little notification saying 'Entering Setup' even though I am already there.

It doesn't appear to be frozen as the temp readings update constantly and the clock is ticking. If I press Tab to make the screen go black those two parts of the screen come back when they update leaving me with two squares lit up with the rest still black.

Tried using a PS2 adapter with a cheap keyboard (USB) and my regular keyboard to see if that works yet the problem remains the same.
    Both the keyboards and the mice have been tested in BIOS and Windows on my other computer and they work 100%.
    Tried a CMOS reset with the button located at the I/O panel.
    Tried with and without the GFX and Audio card.
    Searched for answers in the manual, on their site (MSI) and with Google to no avail.

I have not updated the BIOS since I have never done it before and always read it should be avoided in most cases and only be used as a sort of last resort. Reading on MSI's site did not give my any info about this problem existing or the BIOS updates fixing a similar one, so I am hesitant about that option at the moment.

Have successfully installed Windows on 1 of the SSDs with no problems and its currently updating the OS as I type. Installed the drivers that came with the mobo, gfx and audio and am still not able to enter BIOS. Did it in case that would have an effect.

I'd like to enter BIOS to overclock this comp.

If you need more info or have any tips or solutions I can try please share them.
    Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

TL;DR
    Cant do !"#ยค inside the bios. Brand new board. Broken or ..?

2. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    If you tried different kb's on both USB (different ports ? USB 3.0, 2.0 ?) and PS/2 (do your kb's actually do support PS/2 ?) w/o change in outcome, then IMHO most likely it's either a general problem w/ the BIOS or a bad mainboard. I would suggest to open a ticket w/ MSI, they should be able to help you.

Out of curiosity, what keyboard is it ? Some newer kb's use "untraditional" USB reports to implement > 6 key roll-over. Some BIOS' don't tell the kb to use the boot protocol (as they are supposed to), resulting in this kind of problems (solution is to try a different keyboard or to set the kb to "BIOS mode" if it supports it like eg. the Corsair K70.)

3. babokim

babokim Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte 780 ti
    Tried the keyboards on all of the USB ports, USB 2 and 3, back and front.

The keyboards I am using are the MS Sidewinder x6 and an old Logitech I got a few years back with another prebuilt comp purchase.
    Both of them worked with the PS2 adapter on my main comp, but on this one the sidewinder doesn't even light up (Back lighting and Caps, Num and Scroll lock).
    Using the Logitech one with the PS2 adapter does light it up (Caps, Num and Scroll lock).

I opened a thread on MSI's forums but I'll try to email them directly.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014