New Headphones...

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ---TK---, Jan 27, 2015.

1. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Sound signature, the NFB15 is warmish while the NFB11 is neutral, yea english is not their first language as you can tell. I have bought from them without any issues as I once had the NFB15.32 which performed very good.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you should definitely not see 2mm of the tube's pins. Something is not right here.

Take a pic of how snug it is and post it here. Also, post the link to the exact tube you bought. And also try with the stock tube.

Post back.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I linked this earlier in the thread looking at that 1 too.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You should also take a look at the following when you get the chance:

Micromega MyDac

Musicial Fidelity V90-DAC

CEntrance DACport LX

There's plenty of material out there regarding them, I'd probably lean toward the Dacmagic 100 or DACport LX.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Is this going to be able to connect to my asgard 2?

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
  7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Schiit got bstock of the Bitfrost. Would the standard or uber be a good upgrade compared to Dacmagic 100? Bitfrost standard usb would be $399, uber would be $469.

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I forgot you had a asgard 2, i completely skipped over your sig at the bottom, i was wondering what you was gonna use with it. Til I happen to notice. If I notice before hand i wouldn't had mentioned the two NFB's because there irrelevant to your needs, I guess dragonball xenoverse is still on the mind which i been playing alot of since it came out.

The Bifrost with the usb is not worth it,you be better off just using coaxial or the optical on the rear of the bifrost uber.Rather from your onboard audio or your sound card if you want to send the software functions over. Also your motherboard audio may actually support X-FI MB 3 software suite which would be a plus, since you can send functions over optical, which what I do for my motherboard with X-FI MB3 software suite when i playing games,then switch back to coaxial to my peachtree X1 usb to spdif convertor for every thing else.

The Bifrost uber with no usb is worth it 100% which goes for $419 A stock. The combination works wonders with The HE-500 ,both the Asgard 2 and the bifrost uber is a great combination and it been a great experience using both together with my HE-500, its like there are a perfect match for each other that's the best way i can explain it.

Also you can't look at the chip that the dac is using alone, it also how it is used and how well the unit is built as well the way it is designed. I seen people mention that the dacmagic 100 up samples every thing too which would be bad.Having 5 years warrenty on the bifrost is also a plus and yes you get the same 5 years warrenty on B/A-stock units too.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  9. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    I tried stock tube first when I was wondering if this other is faulty when It was so hard to press it down but it was same thing with stock.
    I should try stock again for sound I guess, will try later today.
    Will take picture too later today.

I had headphones playing whole night to "burn in" everything a bit and im not sure but I guess these sound a bit better.

Also about gain, I tried all settings.
    0 was too little, middle what I left it to because I have still some room to adjust volume, I didnt leave it to max gain because stuff I read from forums that it makes it sound bit worse.
    I didnt hear that difference I guess but have to try again to put it max.

I tried again without my dvd player amp after night but it just sounds so thin and lifeless without it.
    Like music is missing just a tons of stuff. 0 bass etc.
    I would understand if something else got better like more detail etc but about only difference is that bass is totally missing and everything else also sounds bit like its lacking something.

Oh and this is that tube I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300741379103

10. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    +1....it is not so much about the chip and more about how the chip is implemented in the design of the dac.

The Bifrost is a good dac, all most people would ever need, unless they just get the upgrade bug.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hmmm... to put one thing right, the HD 600 is an analytic headphone, very neutral sounding, no colour to the sound. Music sounds as recorded. They "lack" bass. HD 650 are darker sounding, thicker, some would say richer. More bass.

Some prefer HD 600, some prefer HD 650. I think they sound right, it's just that you might be used to more coloured sound, with more bass and some EQ tweaks.

Might just not be that, could be that you have a bad T1 (never heard of a bad one though). I can tell you that the T1 + HD 650 sounds immense.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    What about the other dacs in darkest links?

13. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Might be that, I cant know :D
    But it sounds very fine with that extra amp after Aune so its fine for now.
    Just might have some problem to get "proper" amp with that dark, thick bassy sound.

14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I have heard about a couple of them but I have not used them. The bifrost uber is the only standalone external dac that I have experience with using with the same asgard 2 and HE-500 that you have. I still can't explain in detail how it sounds without using terms that people commonly use to detail the way it sounds.

If you looking for something cheaper while still good, you could look at the modni 2 uber, I heard schiit say its like a mini bifrost uber and i have heard people mention that the modni 2 uber and the bifrost uber was similar to each other in sound. Those that has both. The thing about the bifrost is it has upgradable in-case some thing else comes along and one would be able to change out the usb or analog section when schiit release another upgrade option for it.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    +1 for Bifrost. I haven't heard it with the HE500's but I loved it when I sampled with T1's. I think it was the non-uber version though.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Is the modi 2 uber an upgrade from my Phoebus? Some said it isn't.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Honestly the PCM1796 DAC on the Phoebus is superior to the AKM4396 in the Modi 2. What happens after that DAC is arguable, but to me a Modi 2 is a side-grade at best. You may get very slight different coloration of the sound but that's about it (although if were being really honest here that's like 99% of what sound hardware does)

18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If you can pick up a Bifrost (Uber) within budget go for it, you'll be hard pressed to do better.

19. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    This feels like im just QQing about everything but I think the problem is in headphones.
    I already said few times that balance is on right side but now when I really listen it feels like that full nice open sound is only in right side and left side is kinda flat and in 1 spot sound (if that makes any sense).
    You think shop would still take this back and let me pick 650 or new 600?
    Its very hard to know if it really is that or not, I tried with my old 595 and it doesnt seem to have it but its not really that much in 600:s but it is still there, it just doesnt sound right from left side.
    Its not my ears either because if I flip headphones so I have right side on left ear and left side on right ear then it sounds worse on other side.
    God I hate this.

20. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It depends on the store, it's worth a try. That said, there have been a small few cases reported where T1's had balance issues due to one of the chips not being seated correctly inside the case. You could try popping it open to check, but obviously that'll void your warranty.