Sony announces the Playstation 4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by deltatux, Feb 21, 2013.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Sony Entertainment announced the Playstation 4 to much fanfare today in New York. The company hopes to make use of its acquisition of Gaikai in the next generation console by incorporating its cloud technology. It also hopes to make its online platform a lot more social than it was back with the Playstation 3.

Unlike past launches, Sony declined to show off the console itself. Instead, it showed off the new DualShock 4 controller and the games that will be running on the new Playstation 4 when it hits the market during Holiday 2013.

After the press conference, Sony issued a press release outlining the technical specification of the new console:
    • Single-chip custom processor, with eight x86-64 AMD Jaguar CPU cores and 1.84 TFLOPS next-gen AMD Radeon based graphics engine
    • 8GB GDDR5 memory
    • Built-in hard drive
    • 6x Blu-Ray and 8x DVD drive
    • USB 3.0 and auxiliary ports
    • Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 2.1
    • HDMI, analog AV-out, and optical S/PDIF audio output
    • DualShock 4 controller, with two-point capacitive touchpad, three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer, vibration, light bar with three color LEDs, mono speaker, micro USB port, stereo headset port, extension port, 1000mAh battery
    • PlayStation 4 Eye camera, with two 1280 x 800 cameras, f/2.0 fixed focus lenses, 85-degree field of view, 30cm minimum focusing distance, four-channel microphone array

Sony's president of Worldwide Studios explained the absence of the presence of the new console was that it would be revealed at a later date so that the audience will not "get bored" in future announcements.

Source:

deltatux

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They showed off some pretty cool stuff at the conference, honestly the games coming out looked more impressive (game play wise) than anything about the console. I really want to play Watchdogs. That weird Klunk game looked pretty cool or whatever it was called.

If the price is low enough I may pick one up to play some exclusives. All the social media stuff I guess was inevitable but yeah, not too much of a fan. The graphics of the games seemed pretty standard too, nothing actually jumped out at me as amazing but I guess that's also to be expected.

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Problem for me with wanting the PS4 is that it's basically buying another PC just for gaming. It has an AMD CPU and GPU.... I already have a PC, it just feels weird to buy a PC that is potentially underpowered compared to my rig lol.

deltatux

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The processor is an absolute joke and 8GB GDDR5 FOR THE ENTIRE SYSTEM is the absolute bare minimum they can get away with without causing a memory catastrophe like last generation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Riiiiight...

Sony announced those specs in a pathetic attempt at stealing a little of Microsofts thunder over the rumoed upcoming announcement.

Btw... i called it pathetic because their motive was so obvious. Someone should have told Sony how stupid it makes a company look in the eyes of consumers when you try and steal someone elses show AND most importantly, they didn't show the product. I'll bet they don't even have working systems yet. Like in 2005 when Microsoft anounced and showed off the 360 at E3 in Los Angeles. I have a habit at conventions to wander places where i don't belong. So I walked into the private microsoft wareas like i belonged there and hidden away behind the 360 systems were actually TWO PowerMac G5 workstations, and yes... they wererunning the games and the 360 systems which you could see from the the convention area were empty cases with an LED that made it look like it was legit.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/AndrewKalionzes/Xbox360.jpg

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Is it because it's AMD that's why it's a "joke"? I fail to see how it being powered by an AMD CPU means that it's an automatic fail. Plus, 8 GB of memory is quite normal for most people, most people are still running 4 GB rigs perfectly. I think Sony put more than enough memory in the PS4.

Hell, on my rig when running Linux, my system only uses about 2 GB max out of my 16 GB, about 3 - 4 GB with TF2 or other games opened. With my Windows partition? Minimum usage was 4 GB, plus games and etc. easily 8 GB can be used by the system. Since the PS4 isn't running Windows, it doesn't have to deal with the bulk.

The question is really for the PC gamer, there isn't much to offer since our rigs would be plenty powerful when compared to the PS4 due to our ability to fit whatever parts we want to. Now the biggest question is: how much is this console going to be sold for?

deltatux

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The CPU section is going to be Bulldozer or Piledriver based and the rumours have been that it will be clocked 1.6GHz. Can you say with a straight face that that's not a joke? And yes I believe Bulldozer is absolute trash that has no practical use in reality compared to other architectures which have far superior clock for clock performance which matters a lot. K10 would have been far superior if it was continued, it would have been great to have another option, but now we're stuck with a near monopoly.

No I don't want philosophical debate with you why you think it has a purpose. I disagree.

8GB of memory is for the entire system, not just for graphics or for the OS. It's only acceptable at the present because of how badly the previous consoles crippled advancement, everything on PCs ended up having ass for textures because they were console ports which was part of the reason for the extremely small change in memory requirements over the years.

It may be "okay" now having 8GB total memory, but it won't be in 5 years, and we all know these consoles are kept going for as long as $ony and Micro$haft deem they yield more profit than starting a new generation.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    8gb is great even if its for the entire system. I mean what pc game currently use more than 3gb of ddr3.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Let's see how great you think it is in 7 years when textures still look like they do today.

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Did further reading, it seems like it's based on the Jaguar APU architecture instead, which is the successor to Brazos 2.0. Bulldozer wasn't THAT bad, it handled a lot of things that you throw at it pretty good, it just was underwhelming for gamers. Fortunately, most people, me included don't only use our rigs to game. It did spectacularly well in well-threaded environments. Piledriver made it even better and slightly slower than Sandy Bridge. If the PS4 is indeed powered by Jaguar as the codename suggests then yes, the PS4 will indeed be considered underpowered.

As for memory, I can only see VRAM go up, system memory has basically stalled in the 8 - 16 GB region as of late as applications have become less hungry as they did in previous years. Right now there's still a lot more memory than most graphics cards, hell mine only has 1 GB of VRAM and can still do a very respectable job in the graphics department. In 7 years, I would expect games to need 6 GB of VRAM and still be OK. Even at the current norm of 2 GB, VRAM size increases have pretty much slowed in recent years as well as people have been concentrated on the mobile market rather than the upper PC markets. Only super high end graphics cards would likely have 16+ GB of VRAM in the future but I still don't believe your average gamer's cards will have that much RAM in that timeframe.

deltatux

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

11. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Couldn't you say the same sort of thing about graphics cards?
    Still quite happy with my GTX 260+, and have no idea how some games would look with a high-end card.
    Just so long as Nvidia includes my card in some of the updates, I'm happy. :)

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Yeah... I already knew about it being 'Jaguar', all that stuff is descended from Bulldozer is it not? The big difference will be the 1.6GHz clock.

And I reiterate, we're in the state we are now because of the limitations caused by previous consoles. I have no doubt GPUs would be regularly equipped with 4GB or more of GDDR5 if we had proper textures over the last decade.

13. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    i didn't see any console, what console?

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    They didn't actually show the console itself, just the really crappy camera and the fugly controller.

Basically they don't have a final design for the console but they wanted to steal some of Micro$haft's thunder.

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    No, Jaguar has no relation to Bulldozer, like Intel Atom has no relation to Sandy Bridge. Brazos which is the predecessor to Jaguar did have a 1.6 GHz clock speed so it doesn't surprise me if Jaguar also has the same clock speed. That or maybe AMD has customized the silicon so that it can be clocked faster at like 2.0+ GHz clock rates, no one knows atm.

deltatux

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Well, that's what I get for not reading more (was never interested in it).

How does it compare clock for clock to Bulldozer?

17. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    look at the positive side, the consoles are mini PCs, it means the ports will run better and AMD CPUs will get hardcoded and maybe show an improvement in PC gaming

18. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    The PS4 has a unified pool of 8GB GDDR5. That's is a lot faster than any PC right now. I don't understand people complaining about the power of this thing. It will also make PC ports potentially problematic if devs use the bandwidth available on the PS4.

19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Jaguar was meant to be like Intel's Atom, it's worse than Bulldozer but faster than Atom.

deltatux

20. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Sony described the machine as being like a "supercharged" PC.

Hahaha, yeah.. sure.

In the past console releases were up there with the high end PC, this sounds like it will be mid range even on release.