Fix texture-edge artifacts that appear with forced AA?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by oKuNo, Apr 25, 2016.

1. oKuNo

oKuNo Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750
    Is there a driver setting that can fix texture-edge artifacts that appear when forcing antialiasing?

Stuff like 1-pixel border around the screen where things don't look continuous with the rest, or junk between letters.

Maybe it's related to Direct3D's half-pixel texture offset thing.

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Screenshot????

3. oKuNo

oKuNo Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750
    Forum doesn't want me to post images before I have 5 posts...

4. oKuNo

oKuNo Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750
    So...

5. oKuNo

oKuNo Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750
    (One more.)

6. oKuNo

oKuNo Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750
    See the vertical lines after most letters. Most visible between the W A S D, and after "l", but it's after almost every letter.

The first is no AA, the second is MSAA.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The screen-edge artifacts, there's more going on than I initially thought. Now I have them also without AA, though it looks different with MSAA. I think I did manage before to have no screen-edge artifacts with AA. I'll have to spend more time to figure out again how.

This is the lower-right corner of the screen. First with no AA, then with MSAA. The edge artifact is 2-3 pixels wide.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  7. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    the dreaded white lines yeah, I hate them. or when you force SGSAAA and then there's a thin fluorescent/bright green line on the edge of the monitor on just one side.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    With text, that's game dependent and how the MSAA interacts with how the game is programmed. Nothing can be done about that, happens even without forced AA in some games at high resolutions.

For the screen outline, that's what SweetFX's border shader was originally created for.

ReShade also has a border shader and works with just about every API.
    So I would use that.

9. oKuNo

oKuNo Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750
    I think it's related to not enough space between characters in the texture, and with AA it somehow samples more texels. It's not unthinkable that some global setting could fix it.

Aren't SweetFX's Border and all that used to add black bars, rather than solve edge-of-screen rendering problems?
    Anyway, that dashed-line edge with no AA is very strange, maybe suggesting there's more going on than just pixel/texel offset issues. BTW, it's only in the right and lower screen edges. Not the top and left.

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Like I said, SweetFX's border shader was originally made to hide this stuff. It was not adjustable at the time. It just added a 1 or 2px black line to each border.

Making it work for other purposes were developments later.

Also like I said, it's just how the game works, as by your own mention that there is something there even without AA.

There's nothing we can do about that stuff, really. Aside from the border shader or custom overscan settings on a monitor. (Which aren't common)

11. Jakshi

Jakshi Member Guru

GPU:
    PoV GTX680@1300/3700
  12. oKuNo

oKuNo Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750
    MrBonk: Oh, I hadn't considered "covering" the edge with blackness. Crude, but indeed an option.

Jakshi: That'd an idea I hadn't thought of.

BTW, I was never able to find actual details on the meaning of the bits/value in the AA fix setting. Is there a list of what each bit does?

Though I suppose the known values could just be the result of trial and error, or taken from some Nvidia driver list.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016