What scaling setting should I use? Display or GPU?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by jarablue, May 18, 2011.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    How in the world you're getting stuttering from selecting a scaling method? Is it in native resolution where no scaling is even performed by any chance?

People seems to see a reason for stuttering in everything these days. Kinda reminds of DS3 autosave issue which was quickly NV's fault until someone brave enough mentioned that it's happening on Radeons as well.

2. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Yea, nvidia are probably the first coders to have bugs in their code.

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Bugs is one thing, stuttering because of a scaling method being set without driver reinstallation is something completely else. You're seeing ghosts, mate.

4. I suggest GPU scaling. If resolution is not compatible with your motherboard, then gpu scaling is best option. Also gpu scaling is useful for flawless gaming experience. It also clears on-screen images.

5. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    What? Motherboard does not dictate resolution. GPU or Display scaling can both create a "flawless gaming experience" (which is a hollow statement without reasons why one or the other make it "flawless"), and you must mean "improves the image's clarity"?

Old thread... GPU scaling.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Some things to note about GPU scaling: The upscaling quality is attrocious; many monitors usually do a much better job at upscaling; and finally, GPU scaling is (more often than not) used even when you select Display scaling (see below.)

For the last point, display scaling is ONLY used if the current mode (resolution AND refresh rate) is natively supported by the monitor. The list of supported modes can be viewed in CRU. Any resolution+refresh combination not listed there cannot be scaled by the display, and GPU scaling will be forced.

This is especially important on >60Hz monitors. If you have a 1080p 144Hz monitor for example, and play at 720p@144Hz, that mode is almost never supported by the monitor. Only 1280x720@60Hz is supported. For 1280x720 @>60Hz, GPU scaling is used automatically.

Same goes for non-existent modes. 900p for example (1600x900) is almost never supported by monitors. This is an nvidia-scaled resolution, and thus GPU scaling is forced automatically.

The only way to verify whether GPU scaling is used or not, is to consult the monitor's OSD. If you play at 1024x768@144Hz (some CS:GO players do this, for example) and have Display scaling enabled, you're most probably using GPU scaling anyway. Unless your monitor's OSD says "1024x768 @ 144Hz", you're using GPU scaling. And most often it does not; it says "1920x1080 @ 144Hz", since most monitors don't support 1024x768@144Hz.

If you do get display scaling to actually be used, you usually get a somewhat better image quality (less blurry), or even MUCH better image quality (quite sharp). Depends on the monitor. Monitor upscaling can have more input lag than GPU scaling. However, that is usually only true for some (not all) non-gaming monitors. Gaming monitors tend to always have near-instant scanout of frames, even when scaling (they only buffer and scale a few lines at a time, not the whole frame.)

Last but not least, G-Sync monitors cannot scale themselves by default. Only GPU scaling is possible (the G-Sync module lacks scaling functionality.) It seems possible to trick the monitor into combining display scaling with g-sync, but this only seems to work for low refresh rates (see this post.)

PS:

There's also a petition to NVidia and AMD to improve their horrendous upscaling algorithm:

https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-amd-nvidia-we-need-integer-scaling-via-graphics-driver

Probably won't result in anything changing, but if you care about the issue, well, there you go.

In general, this picture perfectly sums up the state of GPU upscaling in 2017:

https://image.ibb.co/gSvpL5/titan_upscaling_demotivator_5.png

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  7. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Using GPU scaling was noticeably blurrier on my last display. Same size scaling, just blurrier.

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Yeah, GPU scaling has the worst quality I've ever seen compared to the scaler of any monitor I ever owned.

(Not sure if AMD's scaling is any better, but NVidia's is horrendous.)

9. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I always wondered about this myself, will check my nvidia control panel and see what it's set to_Off topic but I remember when I made the switch from Radeon 6000 series to my 1st GeForce card and Bam the picture was so much more clear with nvidia driver's (big time) the colors were more vivid and bright ect....I was having a ****-ton of problems running Radeon 6970 ceasefire at the time, gaming was so messed-up! I never looked at another Radeon since then lol.

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Here's all my Gfx cards I had....Geforce Gtx 580, 660 ti,770,780,980, I loved every one of them. With each upgrade I saw good performance increase. Nvidia kicks ass for sure.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    That made me laugh, I'm not surprised you had trouble when your GPU troops arent fighting on your side!

12. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    create 1800p in CRU then set display scaling to GPU and reboot. Now you can play games on a 4k tv in locked 60 where you previously could only hit high 40s on the 1080ti. That's how I use it.

1800p is almost undetectable from 2160p and the boost allows mafia 3 and deus ex mankind divided in very high 60fps.

13. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Are you referring to the Nvidia control panel Change Resolutions section where it ask if you want to apply default color settings or Nvidia color settings?

14. Assirra

Assirra Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 4GB
    I use GPU scaling because i still play some games that were made with 4:3 aspect ratio, my monitor doesn't actually support that aspect ratio and i rather play with black bars then streched.

15. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Mufflore- True story bro.I did try image scaling and did not notice anything diffrent in the picture quality guys.Monitor vs Gpu scaling.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I was laughing at the "cease"fire.

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    What's your monitor and what resolution did you try and scale and at what refresh rate?