Samsung SSD 840 EVO Performance Restoration

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by primetime^, Oct 25, 2014.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  2. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    thanks tk used your download even with the advanced restoration its still like 336mb in hdtune i think I going to sell it and buy a mx200

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    That sucks, were you able to flash the firmware?

4. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    yeah the firmware is the newest one with the d averaging 358mb read in hd tune and that is just not acceptable just bought a MX200 500gb and just going to sell all the samsung drives that I have. 830 128gb 840 120gb 840 evo 250gb really after this whole fisaco had enough

5. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    Been offered the new firmware on and off and finally got it to apply this morning.
    Advanced optimisation tab only appears after the new firmware.
    I think they're limiting firmware downloads as well as Magician.

6. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I didn't have any new issues with my 1TB model after the last performance fix, no degrading performance. I went and installed the new firmware anyway, not running the advanced optimization, not needed. The disk flies, averaging 520MB/s across the entire disk.

7. Killersjp

Killersjp Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    I think if you have the new firmware installed and still getting bad performance you either had to give the drive time when its in idle to fix the older files on the drive, or run the advanced tool to fix it straight away.

8. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    Not really let my drive sit idle all night and have done 3 advance restores and still get this garbage performance [​IMG]

Im done with samsung all they do is bandaid fixes and its still garbage. Already ordered my crucial going to sell all 3 of my samsung ssds.

9. -Maxx-

-Maxx- Guest

GPU:
    GTS 450 1GB 824/4252 Mod
    I have the exact same issue, I just installed Magician 4.6 downloaded from Samsung website but I'm stuck on the old firmware version.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    So I was finally able to install the newest firmware earlier. I guess Samsung is releasing the update in stages. When I opened Magician, I noticed there was a firmware update available. So if you haven;t gotten it yet, just be patient.

So this is my benchmark after the firmware update. My 750 GB 840 EVO has about 160 GB of space left.

[​IMG]

11. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    don't use the samsung benchmark it shows the max not the average

12. nonymous666

nonymous666 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Founders
    Magician 4.6 finally gave me the new firmware tonight. Installed it, then upon reboot, it won't load Windows. I just get dumped into the UEFI BIOS.

I pulled out the SSD and attached it to my laptop via a SATA->USB adapter I have and the drive is alive and I can see all the files on it.

Put it back in my tower and found the thumb drive I have with bootable Windows 8.1 installation media on it. Booted it up and and told it to do a boot repair on the SSD and it says it couldn't do it but not why. It added a "Recovery.txt" file to the root directory of the SSD that's zero bytes. Thanks for the detailed report Microsoft.

*sigh* off to do some more research and mucking about.

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    What tool should I use?

14. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Here are my benches.

[​IMG]

Not that good, IMO.

15. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    still waiting for it to offer me the firmware update :-\

* edit *

got it :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

16. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Just thought I would bump this, as I am an owner of this drive and getting a tad tired, a quick HD Tach run on my drive showed the entire written area with a read speed of below 50mb/s. I still cannot install Samsung Magican as the software just locks my computer up solid, and since it seems to set itself to run at boot upon install I am stuck, have to safe mode boot and uninstall to recover my computer. Since I can't install Magician it means I have no way to do a firmware boot so I am currently.... and my god I can;t believe I am saying this, using a 3rd party disk defrag tool to try and restore the drives speed (my understanding is that rewriting the files restores the speed and this is pretty much what the Samung recovery tool released in October last year did.

I am with Colt M4 here I am done with Samsung drives, the support has been nothing short of pathetic.

17. nonymous666

nonymous666 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Founders
    I used DiskFresh. Worked great.

18. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    LOL, well my attempts to restore the drives performance didn't have much joy, but that program there worked a treat man, much thanks.

Quick edit, turns out I ran HD Tach on my C:\ drive (a Kingston drive) and not my affected Samsung 840 E:\ drive

But the software you linked really did work, when I say it worked my god did it WORK.

[​IMG]

The drive now, post drive refresh software.

[​IMG]

The Red Line is the drive after first installing it, sticking my Steam back up and some other stuff on to it and THEN running Samsung's drive refresh tool

The Blue Line is a test I did on the drive around 2 months ago

The Green Line is the test I did yesterday, but forgot to save the HD Tach benchmark so have had to add roughly the performance results in after wards but yes they were really THAT bad.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  19. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    well i need help with my drive 840 evo 256, its running rubbish im getting 20mb read and writes ive tried diskfesh a few time but nothing also zero filled it. it got 17k hour on it ive move the os to a different drive as it was so slow. i bough this samsung drive thinking it would be a high performer

need help

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Use the tool, it should help for the time being, but eventually you'd have to use the tool (or the version integrated in newer Magician crapware versions). Afaik, there won't be a fix for this issue, leaving customers to run that restoration tool over and over again.

Just be sure to back up important data, there shouldn't be any trouble, but you never know.