Android tablets?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by jeffmorris, Feb 22, 2012.

1. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I can't decide if I want to buy an Android tablet or PS Vita. I have some cerebral palsy and arthritis. If I want to buy a tablet, I can't decide on screen size. I know that there are Samsung Galaxy tablets with screen sizes of 4", 5", 7", 8.9", and 10". What's the biggest tablet that can go into front pocket on pants? Which one can play 3D games?

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    7" can fit in your pants. As for 3D games, you mean with stereoscopic 3D or regular 3D that games have been made for decades? There's no stereoscopic 3D tablets, though NVIDIA Tegra powered devices can output stereoscopic 3D on to 3DTVs.

I recommend the Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus, 7.7 or wait for the ASUS EeePad MeMO 370T. If you're not hard set on Android, you can even go for the Blackberry PlayBook. Before Blackberry Tablet OS 2.0 (which just got released today) I wouldn't recommend a PlayBook but now I can with 2.0 out the door. With the Android player, it can run any Android app written using Dalvik and published on Blackberry App World.

deltatux

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  3. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I've always been a fan of Archos's tablets... I had one of their latest ones running Honeycomb (and if i remember correctly, ICS is in the works for them too) but returned it. Not because i didn't like it for some reason, but simply because i don't really have anywhere that a tablet fits into my life. If i'm home and need to look at something, i have my computer or laptop. If i'm away from home, i have my phone. A tablet just doesn't fit anywhere for me.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    im going to add the dell streak 7 to that list deltatux mentioned. its a pretty decent tablet.

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Issue here with the Dell Streak 7 is that since its a discontinued product, it may not be available to the OP to purchase.

deltatux

6. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    Regular 3D games that have been made for decades. Which tablets have NVIDIA Tegra chips?

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Depends on the pants, 7" (tablet) did not really go well to my jeans. Which is one of the reasons why I didnt bother carrying it around.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    huh? i just got this thing a couple months ago and its already discontinued. jeez lol.:wanker:

9. iFRAC7UR3

iFRAC7UR3 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce GTX 680 2Gb
    why android.. wait for windows :p

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    True, I don't know, most IT people wear cargo jeans anyways. For me, I only wear cargo jeans mainly for the billion pockets on the jeans for me to store things and it can fit a 7" tablet lol.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245487/another_dell_streak_tablet_bites_the_dust.html

Some people don't really care for Windows. For me, good riddance. There's really little to no reason for me to use Windows esp. without backwards compatibility to older software. That's the only reason why I use Windows at all, apps that I use that only develops for desktop Windows.

deltatux

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

11. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Really ? Thats not what I have seen here. Normal jeans, suit or whatever.

Using Windows to be able to do something which you need to do is kind of a big deal ? :)

OS in the end doesnt really matter as long as you can do what you need to do (apps + build in features). To me there is no alternative to Windows.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Guess it depends on locale and company because many times I see other IT people including IT people in my college all wear cargo jeans. Only 2 of my friends who work for the same company wear semi-formal with dress pants.

Even with Windows, tons of my tools don't exist on it (except maybe like Wireshark). Most of my tools are Linux tools which works on BackTrack (or Ubuntu in general). To me, there is no alternative to Linux (until these tools gets ported to Android) since all my network security tools are Linux/UNIX based.

deltatux

13. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I cut a piece of wood to the size of the Samsung Galaxy 7" tablet and found out that it won't fit into regular front pant pocket and I don't wear cargo pants. Someone told me that there's a case that clips onto a belt. Any suggestions for a case that clips onto a belt?

14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    7" is probably the smallest you can go with a tablet before it turns into a "phablet" which is what the Samsung Galaxy Note is. Personally, for a phone, it's too big for me and too small as a tablet for me. 8.9" is the smallest I'll go for a tablet...

deltatux

15. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    ive got a galaxy note and a ps vita. galaxy note fits into pockets more easily.

whilst there arent too many games for the vita at the moment, the games that are on there are pretty good. and having full playstation controls makes gaming much better imo.

16. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I'm not sure about buying PS Vita or an Android tablet after playing Test Drive Unlimited on my PSP. I thought that the screen is too small and I can't see well. Controlling the car was a little bit hard for me.

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The Vita has a 5" screen which is 0.3" smaller than the Galaxy Note. The original PSP had a 3.8" screen.

deltatux

18. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I found out that Unity 3D game development suite has free exporter for Android tablets until April 8. What's the difference between Android 2.X, 3.X and 4.X? Which tablet has Android 4.x?

19. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    Please help me buy an Android tablet that can play 2D and 3D games, and can fit into regular pant pockets. I'll be going to Best Buy store on Saturday and I don't want to waste money on a tablet that don't work for me. What about Samsung Galaxy Player?

20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    To be honest even though it isn't an Android tablet, the Blackberry Playbook should actually fit the bill for ya.

If not, try the SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus.

deltatux