US sales tax on online purchases.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by scoutingwraith, Apr 23, 2013.

1. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    As a frequent buyer online i dont know how to respond. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know some online retailers are charging a tax based on their location of their warehouse if they are within the state or not but this seems.

ArsTechnica , Reuters

The Actual Bill

2. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Welcome to the UK. We've been getting robbed like this for years on just about everything we ever buy.

3. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Online purchases should not be exempted from sales tax tbh. They already have the edge on not needing the physical store to sell their items.

4. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I hate it. Online purchases not being taxed are the "get out of jail" card that we have left.
    We, as Americans, are nothing more than an atm card for the government to use whenever they feel the need - which is always, in every case.

5. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    it is more like 'tax dodging' instead of 'get out of jail'

6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I'm with this guy. I'm not trying to get political*, but the government needs to get their sh!t together if they think a few billion dollars of sales tax is going to change something for the long term.

*ie, I refuse to respond to anyone that wants to flame me

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Amen.

8. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I don't understand why we let other men (the so called government) rob us blind at every single turn. Just because they have a position of fictional power everyone thinks we should bow down to them. All it takes is for people not to follow any demands they make and any power they have falls apart. They only have power because people believe they have power, which could end in an instant if people woke up and stopped doing what these cancerous creatures tell them to do. They are ruining the planet and taking us with them.
    I for one am sick of it. My country was one of the wealthiest a few years ago. We actually had money until the EU forced us to take on other countries debt and left us billions in debt which they then expect us to pay back. I'm ****ing SICK of it. I hope for the day the world wakes up.

If you start adding up all the money "Government" steals from us it comes close to 60% of your income through various taxes and licenses etc. I mean they brought in a spare room tax for GOD SAKE. Make people pay for water, roads, tv, driving (don't get me started on that one) VAT so on and so on.

There are people in the UK that can't get jobs or work and because of the spare room tax they are expected to live on £53 a week. That is just bull****.

/end rant

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  9. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    It doesn't bother me too much that they want taxes on internet sales as we already pay them for local sales as long as they let me keep my privacy. Unfortunately, they want both and then some. :p

However, they need to learn that you can only push people so far before they won't take it anymore. The problem is, they've become too all-encompassing and powerful for any individual or group to do anything about it. They're just going to keep advancing as they always have -- one step at a time -- while everybody continues to live their lives. Through the media they've managed to create a society of docile human beings that are mostly unaware of the crimes of their leaders' pasts that paved the way for their rise to power. There's no amount of protesting or petitions that are going to stop them from getting what they want. It's too late to change anything now without simultaneously replacing everybody on the top of the power pyramid with truly kind, compassionate, loving people. And good luck to anybody willing to try that. I'm not brave or stupid enough. :) I was born a peon and I'll die a peon.

That's my rant. Sorry it had to be on a topic about taxes. It's late and I really shouldn't be posting while deprived of sleep.

10. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    That's were you are wrong. If everyone suddenly said no then they have no chance. We outnumber them by such are large number. Overnight we could take back everything if people would just get motivated and turn off the TV. They are a very small group of people sitting at the top, they just hide very well. The media does that for them, which is not surprising because then own them all.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Anyone know if residents in states like Alaska, Oregon, and other states that do not have a state sales tax would need to pay a sales tax based on the location of the store? Would it be based on where the item is initially shipped from?

States are hurting so they need to expand the tax base or increase the rate. Increasing the tax base is more fair. Tourists pay the local sales tax, so online purchases should require the buyer to pay the tax as well. Just because one is physically located in a different location from the physical wharehouse or store should not exclude them from paying the sales tax. The sale occurs in the state where the sale is made. The issue is what is the methodology of determining where the sale is made.

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    According to the current bill, as I understand it, the sales tax works like a federal tax that goes to states. So even states without sales tax would pay it.

As for this bill, it's been a long time coming. Either, we abolish sales taxes for brick and mortar stores or we implement them on online retailers. It's simply not fair for a Best Buy or any other store to have to compete with online retailers who have a 6-10% better margin simply because a law doesn't apply to them yet.

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    That's where you are wrong. If everyone said no, the government is still going to impose this new tax and you will either buy the products you need online or you won't. Either way, you'll be paying tax for them.
    Everyone has this thought that if the public stands up and disagrees with the government that the government will cave in to the people's demands. Sadly, the government doesn't work like that anymore and it probably won't for a very long time. They are going to do what they think is the right decision whether you like it or not.

edit: and further, the vast majority of the public would not want to take on the government/military in an attempt to dissolve the government. Not only would you lose, you would most likely get killed in the process.

14. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I'm so cynical, I'm so cool, so ahead of everything.

Nah, come on. If everyone started groaning about this, it would go away, don't be silly.

15. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    It seems obvious to me that this is really the only way forward, if there's a sales tax it should be applied equally.

I can't understand the controversy, this is the way I'd imagine it works in most of the world as it is.

16. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    Hold up, when have you ever bought something from Best Buy (or any other retail) and not been explicitly charged for sales tax? Best Buy doesn't just eat the charge, they pass it on. Their margins are exactly the same either way.

17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  18. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Calling it their margin was the wrong way to phrase it maybe. The point was that they have 6-10% leeway on pricing. Amazon can charge 5% more for a device and still be under the cost at Best Buy, despite Best Buy's best efforts.

19. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Didn't America fight their War of Independence so that their citizens didn't have to pay taxes to Crown and King and Parliament? Coz if that was the reason (and i'm sure it was) then the entire American government are a bunch of un-patriotic hypocrites.

20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    You Americans should stop compalining :)

In EU you have 20-25% VAT on allmost everything , compare that to ~6% sales tax.

Hell, Hungary have 27%...