High End Audiophile thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Those lcd2`s are very heavy was looking into getting them at razerdog audio. They are even more heavy than my he-500`s. 600 grams. I cannot list to the he500 for extended periods of time even with a support headband. Almost every review on them mentioned the weight and being uncomfortable. Thats why I went with the he560, its only 380 grams and is very comfortable, got em on sale for $799.

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    They're worth it mate, but then I'm speaking as someone with a seemingly strong neck. I don't notice the weight of cans really. It's the sound I'm recommending on, and those things will blow your mind. I guess I'm thick necked.

3. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I'd sold off my LCD 2.2 non-Fazor, it somehow didn't quite suit me or the various DaC/amp combo/stacks (Schiit Lyr + iFi iDSD Nano stack, Geek Pulse Standard combo, Gustard stack) I'd tried it with. Perhaps its signature sound, while damn good and enjoyable to most, is just not my cuppa. After listening to my HE500 with the Gustard stack, the HE400i didn't quite appeal to me, so I'd sold it off as well. I still have three planar mag cans so I'm good.

I've decided to be quite shallow and chose form over function with my speaker purchase. I've opted for a Focal XS Book to go with my Oppo HA-1 acting as DAC, it has a paltry 2x 20W amp, but hey, I like how it looks......apparently, I'm in one of my superficial phases right now. I'll move my Klipsch PM2.1 to my Gustard setup so I still have the option for some mighty 'BOOM, BOOM' when I'm in the mood for it. I'll be getting the XS Book later today so I'm stoked.....

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  4. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I know some people think that the HD800 lacks bass....but i have been listening to this combo all evening and the bass slam is completely off the hook...who would have thunk it :rock:

It may not go as deep as the LCD 2....but it is just wonderful and is not lacking in any way.

The mids are just wonderful also....the sound is a few rows back not front row center stage...but is is a wonderful combo.

GEC 6080 power Tubes & ECC31 Driver

[​IMG]

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I hope that blue light isn't as bright in real life like it is in the photo, as that would get annoying real fast.At-least it keep your room lit up at night.

But that does look like fine craftsmanship, I could never do something like that.

6. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    GW, it looks bada$$, wish it were practical for me to order one here, but I believe freight cost would kill it for me.

Anyway, got my Focal XS Book speakers and I must say, for a pair of 2.0, it sounds pretty good......still in the process of getting use to its sound.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    It is not quite as bright as it is in the photo, just like the tubes are not lit as bright as they are in the photo either....still it is a little bright...seems all blue led's are.

i would have prefered an amber led...but you can't have everything :p

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Just looking to upgrade the bifrost if it turns out to be worth it, need to do research on multibit, the 4490 upgrade is rather inexpensive. Got enough cans currently.

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    That 4490 might not be much of a upgrade from the uber so you might be playing a game of chance getting it.Maybe it won't be maybe it will. My take some time before people get the new basic bifrost's to report for now you will be going in blind. The muiti bit is prolly gonna be what people will be gunning for when they do get the new bi-frosts.

The muitibit may be the actual upgrade. But it cost a arm and a leg $299 ouch. I glad I didn't wait for the upgrades to come out for the bifrost's. I wouldn't been happy, Tho i glad i sold mine early so i could still get lot for it then what I would have gotten if I waited to now. The only thing that have me peeved is that all base new bifrosts come with USB input, I don't see why the uber base model couldn't come with USB like the original bifrost did before they removed usb from the base model.

I don't know why I expected the upgrade's to include balanced I/O connections would been nice but that a alone would had got me to actually go thru with it if they Muitibit upgrade package included that as a upgrade. Since of course it doesn't I still would had ended up with what I have now.

I wouldn't want to be the people who just bought a Bifrost uber + usb for 519 1-2 weeks ago and this happened. I bet they would be raging mad.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    It's 250 at schiit.com, not as bad as 299 but still pticey, I'm not upgrading the BifrostUber until there are bunch reviews out and see if it's worth it. Including usb in the base model now is a step in the right direction.

11. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Bought another HFM can to compliment my HE500......now, it's not so lonely anymore.
    [​IMG]
    Gonna get a pair of Focus Pad for this badboy...

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I love hifiman.

13. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Interested in hearing the difference of these two cans from you.

They look great!

14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I'm so glad that I got this JBL LSR 305's they are wonderful, they really fill the room with sound as well the surrounding rooms, I had the volume on 2.5 and I still heard them all the way into the kitchen and they wasn't loud.

The Bass improved as well gotten more tighter and less boomy,i think i used them for 24 hours , a couple hours a day. I just gotta get more room to angle them in towards my head. I find they work better when I have them plug into the Gustard X12 using XLR then I originally had them in thru RCA with a TRS to RCA cable I had.

15. 416Rigby

416Rigby New Member

GPU:
    nvidia 8800Ultra
    I just bought the multibit Gungnir to replace my existing standard Gungnir. Should be in by Friday. It will be interesting to see how much more resolving power it has over the standard unit. I've enjoyed the Gungnir for several years now, and highly recommend it to folks that want to get the most out of their music at a decent price. It was quite a step up from the Bifrost.

16. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Will post my impressions, but not before changing the stock pads to Focus pads. Collecting a 1.2m Effect Audio Thor Silver 8W cable later today for my StageDiver 3....I hope it opens up the top end a little, it sounds a little veiled with the Nocturnal Audio Quad29 copper cable. And while I'm out later, I'll get a pair of Focus pads as well.....

17. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Just got the Focus Pads.......now I can spend more time with this baboy.
    [​IMG]

Also got my Effect Audio Thor Silver 8W, along with the free Fiio E07K
    [​IMG]

18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The HD800 is just an amazing sounding can all round, I'd love to listen to it through an AMP like that. It's absolutely stunning, every time I see it I like it more! Style and substance.

19. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Yes, it really is a great can, and heck with the way some of the newer flagship cans have have been with their pricing, it is even becoming a bargain, :) ....sort of like the HD650, which is such a darn good sounding headphone that never fatigues you.

It is kind of a love /hate thing with the HD800.

Last night , listening to Pink Floyd - Animals with HD800 was such an enjoyable time.

I tried my Grado cans this morning with my amp.....was so pleasantly surprised at how they sounded with this amp.

I was maybe expecting this amp to not match well, like maybe clipping at lower volumes...I found none of that and my amp was only on the 2nd step of my attenuator . Very happy with that .

No backround static or hum...black back round...also very pleased.

I think I may upgrade my Grado can...it warrants it.

It is the first time I have rolled in my C3g tubes ...I have been too busy rolling 6/12/25 SN7's :p

They sound wonderful and my 225i sounds big.

[​IMG]

The C3g's are the two small black tubes with the metal shield on them, between the two Chatham 6AS7 tubes.

I can use either a single 6/12/25 volt SN7 or the pair Of C3g's as my driver tube...so that is the reason for the empty socket.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    The worst thing about my 308s is they are too "real"!!
    How's that bad? They interfere with my watching movies experience.

Every distant sound(for example a movie indoor scene, some unimportant outdoor sound) no matter how faint, sounds like coming from outside of my house.
    And me being somewhat of a local noise sheriff feel compelled to investigate.

There is no way of identifying these sounds as coming from my speakers.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.