24/7 folding... power failure??

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by somna, Jun 29, 2011.

1. somna

somna Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 6950 TFiii PE 2gb
    Hi, I been quietly folding on team for month or so 24/7 bigadv during this time I've experience a couple of power failure in my apartment. I was wonder if any folder here experience this in long terms? The rig only draws 275 watts bu it is summertime and couple it with a bunch of ac units could cause overload ... Just wondering if this ocassional problem any folders that are doing 24/7/365.
    Thanks for your time...

2. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    No, your computer shouldn't cause any kind of overload. If it does then there is some kind of bad electricity wiring issue.

3. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    well your ac unit are high current, what voltage are you at and what breaker? if your at 110v your rig is ony pulling 2+ amps if your at 230v you rig is only pulling 1.2amp so i dont think it your rig unless somthing in your or cmputer is shorting out the it will trip

4. somna

somna Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 6950 TFiii PE 2gb
    Yep it only pull 110v x 2.2a, I guess it might be three ac units but they're not running 24/7, if they are overloading maybe plugging them in my volt regulator might work.
    Thank for the help

5. PlayN@Home

PlayN@Home Active Member

GPU:
    3 @ GTX 570 WC
    I've tripped the breaker that my main folding system is on, but I've also got quite a few things on that same breaker. I've got a stereo receiver, TV, Folding system, and a few little devices. If I plug in one more thing into an outlet on that same breaker, it trips and I have to reset the breaker. My folding system is pulling a lot of power, about 800W at the wall. I think it will depend on how many other devices are powered from that one power run.

6. IrishFoad

IrishFoad Active Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX2501gb OC923core
    Each breaker has its own limits. I have the same problem just to more of an extent. You should really try to break up high power equipment to separate load on the circuits. If I run my (HT-amp + PC + AC + TV) I'll overload the breaker. You can actually hear a buzzing from the panel; and the breaker for that circuit gets hot. This is also one of the main reasons for house fires in the summer. Just try to even out the load(different circuits) or call an electrician to install a higher amp breaker.

7. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Your breakers are set to what your cable can handle. If you use a breaker that is made fore alot of power and a cable that is made for less power, the cable can catch on fire before the breaker will trip.