Newbie getting ready to build a new computer !! Please help me!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nyrmetros, Jul 13, 2008.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I would take the Dokker over the Gladiator. Other than that, it's all up to looks for Dokker vs. 690 II Advanced vs. HAF 922.

deltatux

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just keep in mind one thing, the backside is very narrow, so it's probably best to store unneeded cables in the 5.25" bay area; that's what I did.

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Many thanx for your feedback.

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I just stowed them away underneath the HDD rack. Other than that, everything is tucked away behind the motherboard tray.

If you want to, you should get the case I got, it's a very nice case. I got it for $80 ($90 after taxes).

deltatux

5. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    i can definitely second (or third) the cm690 adv II, wonderful case with great airflow, only reason i never picked one up was because i was planning on watercooling, otherwise would have gotten one (i may even still get one and sell of my 700d since i wont be watercooling anymore) very easyn to build with.

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The CM 690 II Advanced do support liquid cooling ... there's 2 places you can put the radiator (not talking about the all-in-one solution like the Antec and Corsair ones) and have pipe holes out through the back of the case.

deltatux

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    I'm probably a few years away from liquid cooling....

8. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    i was going to do a dual 480 (with modification of course) inside of the case, the advanced doesnt do that

9. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    If you order all the parts and have the local computer store put it together for you,you are going to be paying them for that service. Not only that,think about warranty and product back up etc. etc. You can BUY a pre-built Alienware Aurora with MAJOR better hardware and a full warranty for parts,labour etc. for the same money,or even a bit less. If you have any problems,you only have to make one phone call. Really my friend,there is no difference in having your rig put together by Alienware or your friend or local store. Not only that,EVERYTHING is covered by Dell. The mouse,keyboard and so on. Before you commit,do youself a favour and check out the overclocked higher end gaming rigs at Alienware. Pre-built,better and higher end hardware, warranty etc. all for the same price as ordering parts etc. is something you ought to take a very good look at. One more thing, With Dell [Alienware] you can always negotiate a better deal than advertised. Don't order on line,Phone them for the order and you'll see what I mean.

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Note that this thread is about 3 years old, just that the OP has been constantly adding more recent updates.

As for Alienware, why would you recommend a prebuilt OEM rig, they are terrible as gaming machines. They're also a pain in the ass to fix as well.

Personally anything from Dell except monitors are blacklisted for me, I've had it with Dell.

deltatux

11. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    I hate Dell also. My worst enemy is that goddamn Dell steel clamshell case. Omfg not only is it the worst case design in human history but it weighs 1000lbs and has jagged sharp edges seemingly placed strategically to mutilate you. If all of that is not bad enough, it has a non-standard opening where a standard ATX power supply would supposedly fit... but of course it doesn't because Dell in all of their wisdom decided to sacrifice functionality for no reason by making the opening ever so slightly smaller...requiring you to snip out pieces of steel modding the case yourself just to replace the PSU (which is certain to fail BTW)

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Been out of action for awhile. Hopefully back.
    On a complete whim I bought this case on newegg last night without doing any research whatsoever.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156254

Please tell me if I did well or wasted my money. This is stage 1 of that budget build I had been talking about.

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    So the Raidmax Helios case arrived via UPS last night. Upon initial inspection I noticed that the case is very light, but the materials used to build the case seem a little flimsy. Definitely not an Antec build, but I found like the asthetics of this case. It comes with 4 pre-installed fans with a slot for 1 more. 2 usb in the front and 1 esata. The whole case is a tool less design. I noticed that there was no manual. I was wondering if it was supposed to come with one.

So onto my next question. I am looking for a fully certified, fully modular psu with a minimum of 700 watts. I had been looking at ocz and corsair models..... I definitely don't want to spend more than $100 if I can avoid it.

And then moving onto the guts..... Chipset, mobile, ram, etc.... There has been much movement since the days of the Internet E8400 ruling the roost. Not sure if the Amd vs Intelligence thing.. And fX 6 core or go with an Intelligent I5 or I7...???

BTW, I do not find my current system to be sluggish at all.

15. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    If you buy computer parts locally, you will inevitably get ripped off. On the internet, for 1500 bucks you can build a lot better system than going into a local store with those $1500

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
  17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you plan to overclock, yes.

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    That can't be ruled out.

My original plan was just to build a backup computer for my living room, but it seems that I keep leaning towards putting some of the components from my main rig into the new Helios case and buying new parts for my Antec 1200....

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Micro Center would make more money.....if they didn't require "in-store pickup" on everything.... Closest one to me is 4hrs away...

At $180, I'd jump on the 2500K. In fact, if it wasn't for them requiring "in-store pickup" I'd probably order one....lol.

20. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I was quite amused by that statement.