i7 920 overclock need help

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by BigBlockTowncar, Sep 28, 2014.

1. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I am going off of this guide, but I can't even start because my stock settings do not align with what this person is saying....

http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking-the-core-i7-920-or-930-to-4-0ghz

This person says the first thing is to open cpu-z and prime95 and check what your voltage is. Mine says 1.27v, but when I start prime95 the voltage goes down to 1.258v. Why is it doing this? Shouldn't it be more under load?

Does the voltage difference have something to do with the vdroop thing?

My EVGA mobo does not allow a multiplier of 21 which is what a lot of people are using....it only goes up to 20 regardless of the turbo settings. So I guess if I go to 4ghz it would be 19 x 210 bclk. This guide says a 20 multiplier causes problems.

Also, they say leave your memory at 8x or 6x and uncore at 2x the memory...what are they talking about, I do not see any memory multiplier settings. I have 12gb of DDR3 1600mhz that runs at 1.65v. Although earlier when I loaded the BIOS the DIMM voltage was stock at like 1.5v, so I set it back to 1.65v....not sure why it would have changed, I haven't touched the BIOS settings in a long time.

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    That'll be Vdroop. Turn load line calibration on if you can.

3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Im working off memory here but as far as i remember the mem will run at the bclk * multiplier, mine is running at 1520 even though its 1600 ram. Ive my overclock on 3.8Ghz, i think its 190Bclk with a 20 multiplier.

Incidentally i picked up a second hand 6 core Xeon x5650 for 80euro - generally overclocks higher than 920, lower temps and lower power usage. I cant wait to stick it in and overclock it.

4. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Ok, there is no setting for LLC, but I am assuming eVGA call it vdroop control....it was set to on.

With it on, idle voltage was 1.27 and dropped to 1.258v under load

Without that setting it goes from 1.282v idle to 1.294v under load.

This guide says the first set is to set your voltage t 1.25....this is lower than what my chip is currently at. Should I still lower it?

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    are you overclocking a C0 or D0 920?, the voltages you state there are they for 100% stock?, it shouldnt be that high for stock unless you have C.I.A 2 enabled

6. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    It is a D0.

I don't know what CIA is. The CxE feature however, was already turned off....the guide says turn off C1E when doing the OC then turn it back on when stable...mine was already off.

Maybe I am looking at the wrong thing. This is not my picture but I was taking info from where it says core voltage:

[​IMG]

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    upload yours, ill upload mine when i get home, but im using 1.28v for 3.8Ghz OC and i renabled C1E and some of the other stuff so it downclocks when idle.

8. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    You'll probably be in bed by the time I get home, I am just about to have my lunch but I will screenshot it idle and under load when I get home.

9. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    lol, no worries, this is mine:
    [​IMG]

and coretemp which shows the fluctuating speeds of the cpu as in using different multipliers to downclock when idle( probably my CPUZ is old )
    [​IMG]
    I can OC higher but temps get too high, need to install my Corsair 100i but will do it with the xeon and just swap out the 920.

Oh and didnt spent much time on the OC so its not the most optimal :) ( i.e. spent 30 mins on it lol )

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20

11. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
  12. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Well, based on the OC increment changes that are recommended some places, if these guys want 24hr of prime95 after each little bclk and voltage increase, it would take weeks to oc your pc making it unusable the whole time.

In reality, do you notice any performance improvement of 4ghz vs 4.5ghz? I have a Xigmatek Dark Knight for cooler so I don't know how well it will do. I didn't want to spend $100+ on a better cooler when I built the PC. Never planned on doing any OC, but I wanted it to be quieter than the stock fan.

13. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    im only overclocking because the cpu at stock bottlenecks my 780Ti, @3.8Ghz its more balanced and hopefully will hit 4.2Ghz on the xeon which should completely eliminate any gpu bottleneck.

However in your case you wont have that problem.

14. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    [​IMG]

Don't know why it says 21x multiplier, it won't let me select that in BIOS but turbo is on so maybe that's it...although I think it still said 20x.

With turbo off the voltage is 1.27v idle and 1.282v loaded.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I used to turn turbo off as used to cause instability, then again I was pushing my cpu to the maximum so I needed all the threshold tweaks that I could get.

In your case you probably don't need too.

16. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Those voltages shouldn't be so high for stock, did you ever update the mobo bios?

17. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I have not updated BIOS. Looks like the last update to BIOS was 2011

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I had my i7 920 C0 rock solid stable at 1.29v

these C0 chips really needed at least 1.3-1.325v for 4GHz and that was a good case scenario.

My Setting as far as I remember were

CPU x18
    BCLK 200
    DRAM 1603MHz

Turn off ALL CPU thermal and boost features such as:
    C1E, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, TM Function, and Vitalization if you don't use it

CPU Vcore 1.29v (would turn yellow in Asus BIOS)
    CPU QPI/DRAM 1.325v
    CPU PLL 1.8v
    DRAM 1.65v

LLC on
    CPU spread spectrum OFF
    PCIE spread spectrum OFF

Everything else as far as I can remember was left at Auto.

It was rock solid stable 6hrs of Prime95 and never exceeded 65*C using a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cooler.

Hope these help you out somewhat, remember every CPU is different and you may or may not have gotten lucky with the silicon lottery.

19. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    i would update it to the latest bios( that 2011 you mention ) first to see if it reduces the vcore based on the auto setting.
    You need the default auto vcore down if youre lazy as you can stick it on 3.3Ghz or 3.4Ghz on auto and just check that the temps are ok when you run prime95 or whatever( do NOT do this due to your current vcore values ). Above that youre better off manually doing it in increments.
    Check the vcore after the bios update.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Do not use an even number multiplier ie: 18, 20, 21 as it cause instability on x58. Use an even odd number usually 19 or 21. Use the BCLK to overclock also.
    X58 is easy to OC, i can have a quick and dirty 4ghz oc literally in 2 mins and be stable no matter what motherboard it is. With a d0 chip its a walk in the park even with air cooling.