Updates From Guru3D Folders

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Svein_Skogen, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    I have merged similar threads into a single one which I have renamed. This new thread can be used by Guru3D Folders to inform us if any expected/unexpected downtimes, upgrades, maintenance,etc. {F@HTL}

I've temporary ceased folding. Just blew one of the aircondition units, and can't really afford the extra heat.

//Svein

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2010
  2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    no excuses, you're fired!!

jk lolz

3. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    I really can't afford to blow the other airconditioner and bring down my entire setup, thus I'm switching off anything I can, until I can get a replacement in some ... 10 hours or so. (it's 00:52 here)

//svein

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    it was a joke, didnt you see the text in white.. :D

idc do what you need to, no one is gonna hate you if you stop..

5. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    no worry hope to see you up and running soon

6. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I don't think you needed to notify of everyone of a ~10 hour break tbh.

7. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    I notified because ... 10hour is "best case" (if I can get some sense into the shop that sold the unit. This is the fourth unit to fail the same way since 26th may, all warranty replacement. Now I want my money back, because the so-called 12 000 BTU/hr unit cannot manage to cope with 2728 btu/hr worth of gear. My other 12 000 BTU/hr unit copes flawlessly, knock on wood, with 4092BTUs worth of gear).

If I can't make them see sense and refund me tomorrow, it means spending another NOK 6000 on cooling equipment elsewhere, and take my claim to the consumer ombudsman for refunding.

The unit in question is a Wilfa WAC12000 (Sorry, norwegian text site), and it's always the same piece that fails. The hot-air-exhaust fan. It's a radial fan, and seems to be made of cheap plastic. When the unit provides hot air (strange, the hot air exhaust is actually hot), the plastic expands a little, the blades on the radial impeller snags on its housing, and the 2000rpm+ radial fan simply disintegrates into a thousand small shards. Makes an awful noise suitable to keep you awake for several hours after waking from it.

I may have to get downright sarcastic with the shop about "expected life" of these units. Especially considering that the third unit failed 0900 yesterday, the fourth (replacing that one) failed 2359 yesterday. If 7 hours is "expected lifetime" for this unit (which carries a 5 year warranty), then SOMEONE ... needs a lot of pain.

Sorry about that, I'm a little grumpy over this. ;)

//Svein

8. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Ah, I feel for you. I once had my AC removed for service and had to stop F@H and all other PC usage. Over here, due to climatic conditions, high temps (<50C) are a norm. During that time, my room was like a furnace as its temps rose to ~40C and normally, I try to keep it between 20C and 30C. I had to wait for a week :( Hopefully, you problem will be sorted within a day.

9. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    I hear ya!

I've shut down all non-essential-for-internet-services (webserver, mail, dns, blitzortung-receiver,etc) boxes, and have set my laptop to max power savings (runs colder) to keep the load on my remaining AC as low as possible.

As for the furnace bit, I can ... fully understand. My file server is capable of heating most of the floor its on by it self (that's one non-essential-for-internet box that's down now)

//Svein

10. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Well, new AC in house. New type, so I need to poke some extra 127mm holes in the house for the added external hose. Will do that on Monday, so I'll remain un-folding (and without my fileserver carrying all my music) and un-gaming until I'm done mounting everything.

The good part is that the shopkeeper agreed with me on the "enough is enough" and will return all my expenses (and then some) as soon as the banks open Monday.

He asked me for help writing a particularly acidic letter to the manufacturer asking who had the bright idea of sucking air from a 3.5KW heat element (the hot end of a 12000 BTU aircondition) using a plastic (flammable!) fan at 6mm distance. And then neglect to add any kind of overheat sensor, so the fan could go hot enough to deform before disintegrating. (the hub was visibly deformed by heat, and there was charring. I was somewhat close to starting a fire some 50cm away from my most precious files). When we dissected the carcass of the dead AC, we were astonished at what was a poor design to begin with, was complemented by bad material choices, and made critical by having no safeguards at all. Reminds me a little of the NGC series "seconds from disaster" (a disaster isn't a single fail, it's a chain of events, etc).

So ... the 10 hour has become ... 96 hours (optimistically 72, but realistically 96).

Anyways, things are now ... on track, and we can close this thread (or something). I started it to say "hey, I'm not just jumping ship after 24 hours, I'll be back as soon as possible" or something to that effect...

//Svein

11. brazen

brazen Active Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX 980
    Makes the whole sensor and whatnot part irrelevant, doesn't it? Can't believe the thought process that went into that.

Anyway, I'm just glad you got it solved in a permanent way.

12. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Back. In. Business. ;)

And the new AC is frighteningly efficient. Makes me wonder if the old one really WAS its claimed 12 000 BTU. But that might just be the difference between "Made in China, labelled in Sweden" and "Made in Düsseldorf, Germany"...

//Svein

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Happens a lot with new technology, it continuesly evolves :nerd:

14. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Nah. This is "same generation", and (on paper) same spec (12 000 BTU/Hr). The main difference between the machines can be summed up as better (yet a little more complex) design.

The fun part, is that the more complex one is actually made so it's easier to service as well.

And to be quite honest, I trust "Quality controlled by <two german signatures with pen here>" infinitely more than a generic (anonymous!) "QC OK" sticker. Especially since the previous ones that failed had the same "QC OK" sticker. Including the one that almost started a fire.

But, the important thing, is that I'm back to "pulling my weight" for the team again. ;)

Or was the important thing "my computers now have adequate cooling"? I don't remember.

//Svein

15. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

There's no way that piece of donkey crap was doing even half of its' rated abilities. You are fortunate to not have burned down your house.

16. brazen

brazen Active Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX 980
    Sorry ...

... been off-line for a bit. Installed a new cooler, which wasn't too bad, but right after I fired up my PC again my modem went down. Of course, I thought the two were related at the time since I'm such a big n00b, but they weren't.

All should be well again and I'm back in the game!

17. iancook221188

GPU:
    good good to see you up and running, everbody get down time

18. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Glad that everything worked out well for you. Right now, I am loosing ~20K PPD as there appears to be a shortage of bigadv WUs :( I really hope that they bring the new Server online soon.

19. iancook221188

GPU:
    yer hope the come soon i dont want these 6701/2 it killing my ppd

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Don't feel bad.....I'm down right now due to a melted GTX460... Soon as I can get it replaced I'll be back though.