*Official* 6600K & 6700K Owners Experience Thread

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Mr Terry Turnip, Aug 26, 2015.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wow i not sure if i should worried or not, the D14 is huge HSF and heavy too

then again i might got X99 and 6800k

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just don't over tighten the screws and you'll be fine. Remove the heatsink if you're transporting the PC and worried.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i have always went by finger tight once i see resistance i stop, that has served me well for 20 years

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus released a bios update with microcode fixes.

5. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    thanks for the heads up,
    flashed it on two different VIII Impacts, running normally so far. ill try and tweak my overclock see if they improved anything later on. but so far stable with my current overclock on a 6600k and 6700k.

6. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    I have the impact. What a fantastic piece of hardware!!!

7. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    Seeing as my system to the left is now 5 years old and really starting to show its Age I have purchased the following:

I5-6600K
    Gigabyte Z170m-D3H
    EVGA(G.Skill) DDR4 2400 16gb
    Bitfenix Pandora Core
    Swiftech H240-x

I'm gonna transfer video card, drives, fans, psu etc. from my current box. Haven't overclocked Intel in some time.

I'm planning to delid the CPU and run it naked at some point, but I'm waiting on the release of the MSI die guard.

8. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Im at 4.5 with 1.75 volts using adaptive/offset voltage but it does fluctuate sometimes up to 1.95v, im using an offset of -0.90 when i have a bit more spare time i will play around more and see if i can lower the voltage more .

I did try the gigabyte software eg,easytune and while it does work it's very aggressive with the voltage , it would use a default voltage of 1.30-1.32 when 100% load at default clocks and 1.35-1.38v for a 4.4 overclock which i found is to much in my case , so it's been uninstalled .

gigabytes software is a big improvement since i last gave it ago which was with ivy bridge , and i suppose to the novice user or users that don't like like to mess in there bios it does get the job done

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  9. holystarlight

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Hell yeh! impact is such a great board for its size and features.

2.75v/2.95v that's mad your poor CPU going to burn in hell at that voltage! must be a mistake somewhere lol.

10. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    :bolt:
    Yes you're 100% right lol i've added a volt when writing and don't know why ,, it's been a long day is my excuse :):):)

so thats 4.5@ 1.27-1.29v max temps after running various tests is 52 on the hottest core , ive just played just casue for 1hour and my top temp threre was 42 so all good

11. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    Damn your cpu wont last long at v2.75 with 1.3 adaptive you can easily hit 4.6.

12. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Now @ 4.6 with 1.29-1.30v max temps is 52-54 all seems good so far ,, still not had to touch the LLC still on auto

From what i've been reading from different sites , they seem to say that as long as you stay under 1.4v and 80 temp you're good to go

I've had a look at intel site but cant find as to what they say the max voltage is , from looking around some people have said that 1.45v is what intel say is the max and 100c
    but i cant find as to where this is on there website ,, and 100c sound just to high to me lol , here the link to intels info http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

so i will be staying @ 1.275v adaptive, @4.5 is where i'm at and i consider this to be safe for 24/7 use .

13. holystarlight

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    sweet spot for my 6700k @ 4.6ghz is 1.28v with LLC on lvl6 with adaptive mode, have it set as 1.30v with offset of - 20, been rock stable for me.

100c is little crazy, anything over 80c is asking for trouble in the long run, that kinda heat will degrade the CPU fairly quickly.

14. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    1.4v on a skylake is mental unless you don't mind degrading your chip.

15. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    Are they your load temps 52-54C? I will say that is a little warm for my personal liking even with my old corsair 110i I never hit more than 40c. With the EKWB Predator 360 I'm getting 22C Idle 35C load.

16. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Haha, these chips don't throttle till ~100C, there's nothing with 54C at all!

17. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    exactly right ,,, :):):):)

18. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    Are you saying that 1.4v is mental (sick?) because of your own personal "feeling" on the matter or you have experience using Skylake and evidence showing said degradation?
    1.4v was/is the base voltage, not mental, for other CPUs.

The 128 pages of datasheet for Skylake from Intel:
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

Page 114: "Voltage Range for Processor Active Operating Mode" : 1.52v
    Page 94: Thermal Junction (TDP) MAXIMUM of 100c degree

Some people said they do not recommend going over 1.4v, or 1.45v because the temperature can ramp up quite high under load.

Please have a look at this video posted by Gigabyte motherboards:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs6tTrI7cVk

At 32minutes 14 seconds in the video, the guy says <<These are the most ever safe profiles>> talking about the preset profiles in Easytune--> their OC software. On my 6700k, the EasyTune's "OC" profile is applying 1,385V on the CPU for a mere +200 MHz OC (4400MHz total). That's what Gigabyte engineers think is acceptable for all Skylake 6700k CPUs, regardless of your cooling solution or the environment the Skylake Computer will be (warm or cool).

Furthermore, at 32min 48seconds in the video, the guy says <<let's say that I set 1.4v... it's still a safe voltage range>> and the second guy immediately acknowledge <<right>>. The 3rd person does not refute.
    Mind you that they are testing the non-hyper-threaded i5. They are also maxing out the voltage slider of the system agent to 1.3v (base 1.06) and adding some to the VCCIO (1,15v from 0.96).

I would like to be shown with evidence how these Gigabyte guys are mental. (Including the ones conceiving the motherboards, not only those 3 guys in the video)

I will not imply that what you say is made up, but I will say that it is fantastic!! Reading for months about Skylake CPUs, I never read anyone with a temperature "at load" that low (35c).

Here, Guru3 test lab report a Skylake a highest temperature of 84c using a Corsair Hydro 110. OverclockersClub report their Skylake at 72c. HardOCP report 82c and they hit 95c when trying for higher OC. Overclock net have a thread on Skylake with 5000+ posts with users reporting temperatures anywhere from 50 to 90c.

With all that being said, antonyfrn, if you are the person with the lowest temperature of the whole internet, it should be of no surprise to you when someone is reporting temperature higher than your: 52-54 in this case from user Singleton99, which appear to be well under control considering Skylake's TDP of 100c.

19. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Well said Groovy-Music .............. :) someone that actually knows what there on about :) happy days :)

I was going to post something similar to yourself Groovy but , i then thought what's the point as someone will say that you're going to blow up your street with temps like that or with that voltage you're going to melt your PC .... lol

:)

20. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    You are another one of the seemingly thousands of people who don't understand the meaning of the VID spec. Max VID has absolutely nothing to do with a recommendation from Intel for safe or absolute maximum voltages that you should put through your CPU.

Max VID is simply an indication of max value for motherboard manufacturers to correctly apply and read offsets from the CPU for actual VID. Nothing more, nothing less.

Those Gigabyte experts are terrible overclockers when you consider that the people in this thread are all are running 4.5/4.6 or even higher with vcore <= 1.3v!

This is the truth about overclocking and degradation. Anybody (including Gigabyte experts) who doesn't caveat their overclocking with this, simply doesn't understand the game.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2468/6

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016