any recommendation for routers

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by datadyne112, Jan 18, 2017.

1. datadyne112

datadyne112 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 980 GTX Strix
    HI gurus

i have at home cisco business series router 897vaw i want shift it to another place

i want buy for home a router good for media streaming and gaming

using 25 devices 3 smart TV, 2 gaming console , 1 NAS, 2 Laptop, 3 PCs and the rest mobile devices .

and please ignore D-Link and TP-Link , i am using fiber connection. for buddget its open

srry for english not my main lang

and thnks

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
  3. datadyne112

datadyne112 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 980 GTX Strix
    thnks 4 replay

I heard decent reviews about netgear x10 unfortunately not available in my country I will stuck with asus ac5300

and thnks

4. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    It all depends how much area you need to cover with wifi. I don't think I would spend $500 on one big wifi router. I would spend the money on a wired only router and some APs. You'd have a better router and better wifi coverage. You also have the option to handle more throughput for QoS for streaming.

5. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    +1 for ASUS RT-AC5300 Tri-Band Wireless Router
    Mine handles more than 30+ connected devices at once when we have guests coming over and that's only on the 2.4GHz band with decent range. It has two extra bands which rarely get used 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2. Very Stable stock firmware + you can Install AsusWRT-Merlin custom firmware for extra features If you want.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yup.
    Thats how its supposed to be done. Easier to upgrade, more robust, and more performance everywhere.
    Also, 1Gb wire needs to be where perf. is a priority.

I'd start with Edgerouter X or Mikrotik Hex RB750gr3.
    Problem is there are no affordable APs (let alone ac ones) to be overly generous when spreading them around

7. datadyne112

datadyne112 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 980 GTX Strix
    thanks for advice , as WIFI coverage I have no issue with this , I have AP in 1st floor cover all area with no problem connectivity and down stair where I want installed router cover all area and I get little signal outside house

thank for ur respond and advice

8. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Actually the hAP ac lites are pretty cheap...

I am in the process of slowly upgrading to all unifi gear. I have a ERL, but it wasn't fast enough with QoS, I also have a RB750Gr3 (fantastic router for $50 holy smokes), but I decided to go bigger so I just installed a USG-PRO-4, a cloudkey and a US-8-60W. I still need to get APs, but I am waiting until we move into our home this winter (I'll probably get another unifi switch too), until then I am using Orbis in AP mode (Also fantastic but expensive if you cant run CAT cable to wired APs). Needless to say my wife is a little angered every week a new router is coming in the mail.:giggle2:

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Im jelly.
    And I dont mean the little woman :hatty:
    By all accounts RB750Gr3 is imbah piece of hw for money, but Ubiquiti seems more polished
    I will build one of these things one of these days. Seems like a great hobby, running around and measuring em field, spectre, speeds and whatnot ahhaha

10. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    you might wanna check out bintec elmeg products.

http://www.bintec-elmeg.com/en/a-1902,113476.html

they are basically industry grade for end-customer (non-business) prices.

so if the cisco or 3com is too expensive and/or the linksys too light-featured...

they have the full range from small-sized networks to MAN/WAN backbone stuff.

and... no plastic ;)

11. reconsiderthat

reconsiderthat Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 390
    I would say a google wifi / onhub mesh would be a good midway point between consumer grade (Netgear, D-link etc) hardware and SOHO/small business grade (Ubiquity/Meraki etc).

Hardware: Onhub has AC1900 hardware with a lot of antennae
    Software: Great for security fixes and stability but not a lot of configuration options for power users.

12. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    the Asus AC5300 is a beast, been using it since release and haven't had a single issue with it, and the wifi is able to get past my old school british walls. only router iv used that managed to give me full coverage.

Asus UI and features are always top notch too and firmware releases are on point.

13. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    The Orbi is actually a lot better than that, but also more expensive. $375, but hard to beat if you have a big home/apartment and cant run cat cable to APs. I am not sold on consumer "true" mesh netwroks. They all have mediocre throughput compared to the Orbis star network, and it covers the same amount of area too without losing throughput like the true mesh networks do.

But you are right, about mesh/star type networks. I definitely will never buy one of the consumer big honking wifi routers again though, they just are a bad decision in a large environment. Either wired APs or a Orbi would be the only way I would go. It ain't cheap though, so the on hub is a good compromise.

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Media streaming and gaming? Asus RT-AC5300 for good range even between walls, if range and walls aren't a concern it's little brother.

15. Optimus1357

Optimus1357 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 1GB
    +1 Asus and Ubiquiti. Go with Asus if the idea of a CLI scares you. Ubiquiti GUI is pretty good, but you still have to know some code for the power features like media servers. Asus is plug and play just about but can still be upgraded to 3rd party firmware later.

16. swealpha

swealpha Guest

GPU:
    4gb
    If you are going to have WiFi in your home, dont forget that old 2.4ghz routers range is almost same as good as new expensive wifi routers. The range is not so much better, could even be worse.

5ghz is even worse when it comes to range.

17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Some have better coverage than others, the AC5300 as example has insanely good coverage while being at the pricey end, it's not only range but also how well they do trough obstacles, how broth an area (x,y,z) they manage to cover, overall stability of the signal, amount of devices that can be connected concurrently and more.
    That is where you see differences between cheap and expensive.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Chuck your Dlinks, Asuses and Netgears into garbage.

This Ubiquiti ... holy cow, I am speechless. The way it opens webpages, streams youtube. Like the content is totally local, on my disks

You know the difference between hard disk and ssd?
    That's how I would describe Ubiquiti ER-X compared to consumer all-in-one routers.

Beware: It's not for Faint-Hearted!

Spent entire day getting it to work, configuring the network. Internet, IPTV, VOIP, VLAN. Gave up several times. Finnaly I did it, and I have no idea how LOL

This is a 'Just Because I Can' wireless test with my retarded A6210 WIFI adapter connected to Huaweii 4G modem which acts like Access Point on 802.11n (867Mbps), routed by glorious ER-X and ending up in Siemens ONT

[​IMG]

UAP-AC-PRO incoming :banana:
    Big FU to netgear

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    [​IMG]

LAN(Intel218V)/WAN test

check out the flatness of upload/download :banana:
    (200/100 Mbps connection)

20. the9quad