computer shutdowns (as if unplugged) while in games.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by pilike, May 4, 2011.

1. pilike

pilike Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 SC
    I've recently replaced my ASUS 8800 GTS with an EVGA GTX 570 SC. Everything worked flawless while I was using the 8800, but with this new card the computer simply instantly powers off while under graphic load.
    I entered Crysis 2, play for 3-5 minutes and than the PC powers off, like unplugged. I tried different approaches on the matter, suspected overheating, but no, don't think that was the case, the temperatures were normal.
    I runned 3DMark 11 and it did not shutdown, same thing with Furmark (about 10 minutes), and still run. In Assassin's Creed 2 crushed also, in World of Warcraft crushed as well, but it lasted more time than the other.

It might be the PSU, not enough juice or some other problem related to it, but I'm not 100% sure. I supplied power to the VC from another PSU and the pc run flawless (except for some noise on speakers while in games/movies).
    Here's my PC configuration:

MB: ASUS Crosshair I
    CPU: AMD 64 x2 5600+
    RAM: A-DATA 2x2Gb DDR2
    HDD: 3x SATA drives
    VC: EVGA GTX 570 SC
    VC drivers: 270.61
    PSU: AXP 630w
    CDROM: ASUS dvdrw

Isn't 630W enough on high load? I replaced the PSU with 2 other PSUs (unfortunately with lower watts (550/600W) and the same thing happen. I did not try with a higher PSU (don't have) yet.
    I googled (if there's such a verb :)) ) on what might be the power requirements for my configuration and they looked to be alittle below 500W, that's why I'm puzzled.

I took the PSU on service to test it, maybe it's bad or something.
    Anyone else had this problems? Any clues on what's the problem? Some suggested condensators on MB, but I don't think it's the case here because if it were, it would crash even if I give juice to the VC from an alternate PSU, which is not the case.

Any reply on the matter would be appreciated.

*edited*
    pc details on: http://pastebin.ca/JRaRvZl2 (pass 1)

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  2. DirkGently

DirkGently Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 570
    Starting with the basics...when you swapped the gfx cards, did you re-install the drivers?

3. pilike

pilike Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 SC
    Yes I did, did a fresh reinstall of video drivers, deleted existing video profiles, everything.

4. Nomadspy

Nomadspy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy GT220 512MB GDDR3
    100% driver issue at least for me.I had the same problem with 259.XX and 260.XX drivers.No matter what game runnig GTA san andreas or AC II my pc just shuts down no warning or anything like puling the cable lol My first thought was hardware of course but i was wrong.Changed my forceware to 197.45 and never had anything like this (3 months since then) :) Even posted a thread here about this issue back then

5. Nomadspy

Nomadspy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy GT220 512MB GDDR3
    This doesn't help if it's driver bug.I tried with driver sweeper and ccleaner.It should be something related with the OS.Try older drivers

6. pilike

pilike Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 SC
    Driver problem does not explain why if the VC was on separate PSU there weren't any problems, does it?

7. Nomadspy

Nomadspy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy GT220 512MB GDDR3
    I said that was the problem for me right in the first post.Your could be by another reason :( Nothing will cost you to try different solutions just trying to help

8. pilike

pilike Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 SC
    :) I appreciate any input, so be sure that I will try that as well.

9. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    Turning off means that you are exceeding one power limit of your PSU.(one protection is activated).
    It can be the total one or the one of a 12V rail.

630W should be enough but how did you connect your GC? is that on a dedicated 12V rail or is it to a rail used by other peripheral?

10. pilike

pilike Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 SC
    The PSU has dedicated 6pin and 6+2pin connectors, used them. I also tried with one adaptor that came with the VC and connected one of the 6pin cable with adaptors, same thing.(on the 630W PSU)

Now I am with a 600W PSU (received from the service as backup while they evaluate my 630W PSU), 1x 6pin cable + adaptor to power the VC, yet the problem persists.

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I can't find any information about your PSU, I'm assuming it's a generic brand PSU... they usually are built with cheap parts and can't handle high loads.

The ampere rating is as important as the wattage rating on a PSU for a gaming rig, you need at least 18A on your +12V rail(s) in order to properly support a GPU.

Also, your Athlon X2 5600+ is a giant bottleneck for your GTX 570, you won't get the best experience with that ancient CPU.

deltatux

12. A3F

A3F Guest

GPU:
    MSI N250GTS 1GB
    Maybe your electricity "connection" is just bad, I had the same problem with my GTS 250, whenever GPU was under full load at sunset to early evening (peak hour here in Egypt), The computer would restart.
    One tip maybe that when windows starts up press F8 repeatedly until the boot options list shows up and choose "Disable Automatic System Restart on Failure" (or something like this) and open the game again.
    If the pc crashes to a BSOD it's a probably a RAM (try memtest), GFX (test on other pc) or other hardware problem.
    If the pc just restarts like the last time it's most probably because of weak current.
    I had to rewire electricity lines to another distributer box, cost some money but at least I can play.

as for Googling it's perfect oxford English link

13. pilike

pilike Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 SC
    Wrote the brand wrong, sorry, the PSU is AXP 630 ( http://www.axpertec.com/Product-powersupply_simplepower_630W.asp ), I'll correct in main post as well.
    Yea .. I know about the CPU, that's not the best .. I will upgrade it when I can afford it.. :)

14. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    So far after reading the entire this is confusing. Other than trying the stuff already posted I don't have any other advice really.

The only reason I am posting here is because I had the same problem start up about a week or 2 ago. My computer would literally turn off in the middle of something heavy like World in Conflict.

I found out after searching my BIOS that my motherboard hardware monitoring was reading my CPU temps 9-11C higher than they actually were. It would shut down my computer when it thought my CPU was hitting 75C.

BTW, not talking about the specs in my profile. Haven't updated that in a while.

15. pilike

pilike Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 SC
    The power network is good here, no problems with power fluctuations or such. The computer does not stop on failure, does not shuts down, it simply stops in an instant. Exactly like you would unplug it.

Heh, yea, 'googling' is indeed consecrated.

16. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    32A on the 5V rail???? is that reasonable for a 630W PSU? :nerd:
    According to the web page you have 2 12V rails with 21A and 22A but there is no info about how those rails are split.
    I'm almost sure one rail is dedicated for the CPU+MB and the other one for the rest (PCIE-6/8, Molex, SATA...).
    According to Nvidia the standard 570 (non OC) is using 219W max -> 18.25A
    So with the OC version you can be close to 21A or 22A. Of course part of the GC power is delivered by the PCIE bus (coming from the MB) but you should be quite close to the limit on the other rail
    I had that problem with my quad SLI but my PSU has 6 12V rails (20A max) so I can split the power across them.

The other thing that can turn off the PC is CPU overheating as someone else said. I never seen any software related issues turning a pc off (it can freeze, BSOD...) but I could be wrong of course :)

17. pilike

pilike Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 SC
    I am sure going to look into this as well. Thanks for taking time to look for it. IMHO it's a PSU problem, it simply just does not supply enough juice for the power request peaks of the VC. I hope I will solve this soon, I'll FU the system with all this power failures if not.

18. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    I agree its the psu. Look into a single 12v rail unit.

19. pilike

pilike Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 SC
    I've seen some posts with similar problems on EVGA forum page, but didn't found an answer for my problem, only 'might be's. Some changed the PSU and didn't fix their problem. Anyone else might want to give it a shot? :)

20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I just noticed, why are you running a 32-bit Windows for more than 3.5 GB of RAM? It makes no sense...

deltatux