1155 vs 1150 ( Ivy vs Haswell )

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SentinelAeon, May 26, 2015.

1. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Hi everyone,

I am switching from Q6600 to either Ivy Bridge or Haswell. Right now i have at home a Z87 1150 motherboard and G3220, but also a i5 2400 processor, bought all of them second hand.

The reason i went for Haswell instead of Ivy bridge was that i thought i will have better options in the K processor department when i decide to upgrade from G3220. But checking the tests, top processor from Ivy Bridge is basicly almost as good as top processor from Haswell, while Ivy bridge processors are a lot cheaper second hand then Haswell.

The way i see it:

IVY PRO: i already have i5 2400 which should be fine for now, when/if i need more power i can switch to unlocked i5/i7 (3xxx)
    IVY CON: i have to buy 1155 MB and sell 1150 MB and CPU. Also, older then Haswell ( will i be missing on anything really ? ). a LOT cheaper processors

HAS PRO: Already got everything i need, G3220 should kinda be ok for now ( some games really have trouble with dual core though ).
    HAS CON: Price/performance of second hand processors a LOT worse then IVY, basicly double the price

As for the games i will be playing, when/if i get the time, it will probably be witcher 2, 3, dragon age inquisition, maybe gta 5, but like i said, when/if. Right now i am switching because my MB doesn't support speeds higher then 150MB/s and i want to use SSD's full speed. And at the same time i want to have an option of processor upgrade when/if i finally find time for some games. Your help is appreciated

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If you intend on replacing the i5 2400 then it doesn't make sense to get the mobo for it, go with Haswell. If the i5 2400 is good enough for you, and you can find a mobo for ~$100 go with that.

3. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Thank you for your reply,

I intend to replace i5 2400 in about 2 years, it would suit my needs a lot better then G3220 would. But when i said replace i5 2400 i meant replace it with something like i7 3770K, so i wouldnt need to replace motherboard for that.

I am leaning towards Ivy bridge, finding a good second hand motherboard will be sort of tricky though.

4. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    TBH retailers still sell them pretty cheap which is about as "new" as you can get with 1155 mobo's.

I'd definitively check in a local store or wherever you live a retailer.

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The i5 2400 is just better than a G3220 no matter what, except maybe if you have a golden sample of the latter and are running 5Ghz as your daily clockspeed. But at the same time, if your goal is just to upgrade later, then get the newest platform.

6. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    In my opinion will be better get a 2500k or a 2600k in the future instead of a 3770k. Intel in the Sandy Bridge series use a strong solder epoxy to fuse the IHS with the die, so the temperatures are much lower than ivy bridge or Haswell especially when you overclock them.
    The performance difference between a 2600k / 3770k / 4770k is really small especially in games. Also is easier to reach higher clocks with a Sandy Bridge because u don't need a monster watercooling to maintain it at decent temperatures

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    In cpu 3dmark physics performance - 3dmark06 and 3dmark vantage its like so: 3770K @ 5.1ghz =/~ 47x0K @ 4.7ghz, cache 4.2ghz.

8. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    IcE: I have G3220 not G3258 so no overclocking there :/
    lexer98: That is good to hear, 2600K will be much cheaper then 3xxx.

Anyway i5 2400 should serve me a long time considering i am still on Q6600. All i have to do now is get a proper motherboard. A guy from my country proposed that we do a trade: i give him my Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 1150 motherboard and he gives me his Asus P8Z77v-lx 1155. How does that sound ?

ps: i forgot to mention i have at home Z77 motherboard that was included in a watercooling accident. I got it for free and i was thinking of trying to bake it and see if it comes back to life. The only thing i am afraid of is that it will damage my i5 2400. I paid 70€ for that processor so i could lose that amount. On the other hand second hand Z77 motherboards cost 70€ too. So its a gamble, either i lose 70€ or i get 70€. :confused:

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    As long as the mobo is 100% functional, that is not a bad trade. The asking price of both of the motherboards is pretty similar on ebay it seems.

10. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Yeah, the price seems to be similar. GA-Z87-HD3 looks very dangerous though, with the black heatsinks and all. P8Z77v-lx looks very meh compared to it but hey, still waters run deep

11. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
  12. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Things are going well !

I already got i5 2400 and 2x4GB ballistix 1333 CL9. This friday i am getting Asus P8Z77v-lx and Samsung 850 EVO 240GB. Switching from HDD to SSD should feel "cool", and as far as i5 2400 goes, i can't wait to test the effect of turbo in different apps ( turbo off, on and on with higher multiplier ).

13. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    In non-k sandy bridge processors you can increase four multipliers. Doing that and blocking the turbo (all cores at the same speed) u will get some performance increase

14. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Would that mean that frequency when using 1 or or 4 cores would be the same ? And what would be the max safe frequency ( safe as in keeping it at 100 and just increasing multiplier ) ?

15. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Just increasing the multiplier (NEVER change the bclk especially if u have a ssd) and by "blocking the turbo" I was referring precisely what you said.
    I think the options in your motherboard to do that are this ones
    -Ai Overclock Tuner > Manual
    -Turbo ratio > By per core
    -Turbo Mode > synchronization
    -Increase the multipler
    -Disable Intel Speedstep and C1E
    -Increase voltage a bit if is necessary (probably not)

16. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Great, thank you for this information. I finally have everything i need and as soon as i finish my college exams, i will start the asembly of this "beast". I will also slightly modify my chieftec dragon blue case, since i got several ideas how to improve cooling. That way everything will be ready for when i get some K version of a processor which will demand higher voltage and therefor better cooling.

Btw, i got myself new Samsung evo 850 250GB for 85€ but i am thinking of switching it for my friends Samsung evo 840 250GB and hes also paying me 25€. That means that i am getting almost new Samsung evo 840 250GB with 3 years guarantee for 60€. That isn't half bad and as far as i saw the tests, i don't think i will feel the difference between 840 and 850, even more because i am coming from HDD ... and that 25€ i can spend elsewhere, for instance add that money to a new gpu when i decide to buy one, right now i have HD 6950 gpu. So what do you say ? 850 for 840 + 25€ ?

17. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    The 850 is faster in write and 4k read/write, it has V-NAND which support more write cycles compared to 840. Besides not suffer from the performance loss problem which the 840 has (But I think the latest firmware from samsung could fix it).
    Not really good idea in my opinion keep your 850

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  18. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    I know 850 is better but i am thinking if it is worth extra 25€. 25€ more money spend on a second hand graphic card would bring me more performance gain i think. Hmm ...

19. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Well if it's a tight budget do it, anyway you won't lose a lot of performance in real-world applications.
    You can also spend that money in some fans for your case . My friend have the same one, is roomy but the airflow is a bad for today standards. but nothing u can't fix with a Dremel:chainsaw2:

20. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    I don't think i need more fans, i think i have about 30 of them in my drawer. Money i save at SSD will be spend well in some other upgrade. I could use dremel but since this pc case is like a tank i was thinking more in a way of angle grinder :tomcat: