Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by PhazeDelta1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thanks fellas:)

Whats everyone opinion on turning off the UAC completely? Speedfan and DDU always ask for permission to run. Is it safe enough to completely disable?

Edit: Also, getting quite slow boot times here. I have yet to do a clean install, but have use CCleaner thoroughly today, yet seems to have helped.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  2. binaryStar

binaryStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC 1450/7800
    So noob question...I know it's probably been answered in this thread already, just want more clarification. I upgraded not through Windows Update, but through the tool thing. I didn't keep anything from win8.1. I got my win10 key. How do I go about, in the future if i need to, to reformat and perform a fresh install of win10? Can I just do it through the "recovery" feature in Update & Security menu? Or do I have to create a DVD/USB?

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    One of the first things I do next to installing Firefox on a fresh install is disable UAC on the first prompt :)

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Use the Recovery feature or create a bootable USB, the choose the Custom Installation option. No need to enter key, as once installed and connected to the internet, Windows will activate itself.

Alteast thats what I've read so far. Wait for some more replies to your question first as i maybe wrong here.

Thanks man, the thing is really annoying. The older I get, the faster i expect things to just happen (as in launch).

5. binaryStar

binaryStar Guest

GPU:
    I do this too lol.

6. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Ditto.. UAC immediately gets disabled every time. It's good for mom, grandmom etc who has a habit of installing and running anything. Even then, they'll just click yes anyway.

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Ain't that the truth...

Disabled here for me also, it's intentions are good, in reality it's just an annoyance.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I can't remember who linked me this.. but I think you may find it useful.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-turn-your-windows-10-upgrade-into-an-iso/

Done this twice for two separate systems now, works like a charm.

I've uploaded the ESD Dycryptor to my Mediafire account in case you can't find it http://www.mediafire.com/download/89gmq5g5vvsx8bc/ESD+Decrypter+Wimlib+4.zip

*edit*

Ohh wait, this may not apply for you.. because you didn't do Windows Update... you wont have the $Windows.~BT files?

9. Merlena

Merlena Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 8G
    May I ask a question, would be to huge help if anybody know -

If I have a setup with symbolic links or shortcuts from OS (SSD) drive, to a larger hard disk with the saved files; will this carry over to Windows 10 Upgrade method?

- Oh, and does it support, like, if I back up a registry hive (Because games are so sensetive to that..) is it possible to then import this into Windows 10 after the upgrade.

(On Windows 8.1 Retail Geniune Professional Ultimate x64).

Tons of hugs, you exceptional fellow members, I know you have at least an opinion on this!

Many hugs,
    Merlena

10. binaryStar

binaryStar Guest

GPU:
    No I didn't, I used the tool, and it gave me $Windows.~WT or some such other. During install I opted for keep nothing from 8.1. I didn't bother making a DVD/USB, just let it install fresh. Everything seems fine. Just not sure, down the road like a year from now, should I want to start from scratch and reinstall Windows...how I would do so. It's kind of confusing me.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    performance monitor can it be disable in windows 10? diskperf -N dont seem to do anything

12. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
  13. binaryStar

binaryStar Guest

GPU:
    Ok from that, it sounds like I need to create a dvd/usb.

Although this...

"Please be aware that you cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a clean install on first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do it through Windows Update or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function in Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started)."

So I can just use the recovery feature to perform a clean install? That would make things way awesome easier.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    "I upgraded from a activated copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 then I decided to reinstall using either the .ISO file, Reset this PC or Recovery drive, but I am prompted to enter a product key

Click Do this later

Windows 10 will automatically re-activate within a few days."

Ok... I'm so happy I read that.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Is there any way to force the store to display everything in English only? I can't find any such setting. It has started showing some listings and all collections in arabic only.

[​IMG]

16. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    The one thing I wish MS would finally address is the god damn convoluted and teeth gnashing folder security settings..

Any time I have to dig through this blackhole of frustration I just buy a 12 pack and hope for the best.. It's the one thing Linux makes stupidly easy.. And even on W10 it's still a multi-layered, terribly presented and frustrating set of tools.. And we haven't even begun with LAN shared folder security settings.. That is one of the biggest clusterfarks still.

[​IMG]

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah, ive never got my head around this thing. I just tick and click stuff and hope for the best. Usually results in error message from windows of "No, you cant do that!", im like "What!, Why not its my PC!!!".

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    On a different note I'd wonder, is there a way to upgrade editions once you've grabbed your free win10 copy?

I'm owning both 7 and 8.1 home editions, and thought about upgrading 8.1 to 10. But certainly I don't want to have a win10 home editions where I have to give away all my data and not even retain controll over my updates... so is there a version to 'upgrade', or would I need to buy a new license to do that?

19. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I'm getting the "Server too busy" error trying to start Beyond Earth in Steam. I never had that error on Win 7.

Also the taskbar notification area is bugged. Some things like the Realtek Sound Manager and Volume Control randomly stop appearing and the Language Input keeps showing up even though I disabled it.

And FIFA 15 keeps crashing. Not sure if it's an OS or Nvidia driver problem.

20. dsr07mm

dsr07mm Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980Ti G1 6GB
    I have a feeling that RTM will screw up something, most likely something with nvidia drivers :) Mark my words.

This is so far smoothest upgrade to newest OS ever since 98 and upgrade on XP. Gaming wise and look like.