Windows 10 Update Broke Phone Connectivity?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Neo Cyrus, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    This update was installed: Microsoft - WPD - 2/22/2016 12:00:00 AM - 5.2.5326.4762

Now I can't connect any mobile device to my PC, they simply aren't detected anymore, and this update is NOT listed anywhere in the OS to remove unlike other updates. WTF?!

I thought this update might finally modernize some things like stop nagging me when I transfer any file that isn't an mp3 with the message "YOUR MOBILE DEVICE DOESN'T SUPPORT THIS FLAC THING THAT NO ONE HAS EVER HEARD OF, WANT TO CONVERT IT TO A 128KB/S MP3 BEFORE TRANSFERRING?!" "WHAT IS A .PDF FILE, YOUR MOBILE DEVICE DOESN'T SUPPORT THIS, WANT TO CONVERT IT TO A 128KB/S MP3 BEFORE TRANSFERRING?!"

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: How could I forget I have restore points automatically created. I used to have it disabled in the past for reasons I don't remember.

Anyway, using the restore point created before the update worked. Let this be a warning to anyone with a mobile device not to install this update.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    No kb number?What phone?I have an S5 Neo and have had no troubles.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Hmm, my S7 used to auto open explorer to show the sdcard and internal when I connected it, I've tried removing every last trace of it, resetting autoplay defaults, manually setting it to open explorer again, but it refuses to do anything when I connect it now, I have to manually go through 'This PC' to open it

Wonder if that is the same problem, except there hasn't been any updates to Windows for a while now, and it has worked since the last one

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Okay this is infuriating, I thought I had auto updates actually disabled and it updated to it again. I used a manual restore point I created and... nothing, my phone won't detect. I go to restore an even older restore point, and it says no restore points exist. WTF?!

I can't transfer files between my phone and PC through USB anymore and I have no idea where to begin fixing this problem. ****ing Microsoft and their ****ing forced updates.

Edit: Got it working through the device manager eventually but now it can't be detected in fastboot mode which is what I need to flash new things onto it. RAAAAAGE!

Edit 2: Even though it doesn't show as a detected fastboot device I tried flashing something to it in fastboot mode anyway and... it shows as successful? What? I don't even care anymore. **** Microsoft.

And just to be clear I did reinstall all the fastboot drivers again.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Yeah, that's the same one, it matches what I listed in my first post.

Microsoft still haven't rolled out an update to correct this even though it was reported as breaking drivers an hour after it was released. You'd think such a massive screw-up would immediately be reverted by Microsoft and at least pulled from the super-forced auto updates, but NOPE!

I'm using ENTERPRISE Windows 10, and I've done everything possible to stop the auto update, and in fact every version of Windows has the option to not install 3rd party BS unrelated to Windows. So I didn't think it would force update, but it did, after I used my restore point as I said, all my restore points mysteriously vanished.

And to be perfectly clear, as I stated before, it is not listed anywhere as a Microsoft update in Windows 10 to remove it like you can a normal Windows update. Restore points were the only option unless al list of files/registries is released so it can be cleaned manually.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Backups r good.
    Sounds like you dont do any.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Backup of what? An image of my entire OS drive? No, that wouldn't be a solution since the forced update would just go through later anyway unless I completely break Win 10's updating capability. I didn't think that MS would, yet again, break something with forced updates.

Much of my "backups" are already on their own separate hard drives so if anything goes wrong with the OS drive I'm pretty much safe doing a complete wipe of it since I have 99.9% of my content aside from what is easily reinstalled stored separately. Everything from my songs to my game library are on separate drives.

No "backup" would be a solution to Microsoft's practically illegal forced updates. Backups of my USB and Fastboot drivers got things mostly working again, a backup of the OS drive would have done nothing.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It makes the hurt go away.

[​IMG]

Or it rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

I agree though, Microsoft have really lost their minds.

10. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    i found a way that really fixes this nonsense. , (update also borked my android phone connection) This way you can actually remove this crap driver from windows. Ok first thing i would do is go into your device manager, show hidden devices, (OFC make sure ur phone is physically disconn'd, i also unplugged any usb drives/ext hd etc.) Go into the section "PORTABLE DEVICES" right click everything in there, uninstall. Now follow this instruction i found at answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/after-installing-a-driver-update-microsoft-wpd/9f900903-50d8-4935-939d-5dbf8d6bd1d0

Yeah its a bit convoluted but will permanently remove this driver (also i checked windows update after doing this and doesn't seem to re-offer, maybe they pulled it?) Also i did a reboot just to be safe before pluggin in my phone again:

Press Windows Key + X, and in the menu click on Command Prompt (Admin), and then choose Yes on the prompt.
    Type pnputil.exe -e and hit Enter. This will list installed device drivers.
    Scroll through the list looking for the description that matches the one in the below example (except for the .inf file’s published name). Make a note of the .inf file name associated. It should be something like oem##.inf with a one or two digit number after the oem in the name, and have the Driver date and version as shown in the following example:
    Example:
    Published name : oem42.inf
    Driver package provider : Microsoft
    Class : Portable Devices
    Driver date and version : 02/22/2016 5.2.5326.4762
    Signer name : Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
    4. Now type pnputil.exe -d oem##.inf where the ## is the number in the file name noted below. Example: oem62.inf.
    5. Hit Enter and the incorrect driver is now deleted from your system. When you disconnect and reconnect your device, it should not reinstall the incorrect driver.

Well anyway, worked for me (mine was called oem9.inf, make sure you put the right one that shows Portable Devices and 02/22/2016 5.2.5326.4762) and this way, yes you can uninstall this stupid update it seems (being that it's a driver).

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Not what I was getting at.
    You can recover to a state where you can choose a better way to proceed.
    The number of times it has helped me when I got blindsided by some ridiculous issue.
    I mean a complete OS 'partition' (and system partitions) backup. Most backup utils will compress it so its nowhere near the actual size.

I keep a history of backups so I can recover from almost anything, even if it got in my system a long time back.
    It only takes a few minutes to backup any files I know have changed and restore my OS from last months backup. I often do a backup of the system before I restore and keep the backup for a month or so to be sure I didnt forget anything that had changed.
    I also do a backup if some major change is about to happen.

There are ways to prevent updating unless you choose.

MS have apparently just made it a feature although I dont know if its implemented yet.
    Wont help your problem so fyi.

ps I agree that MS are incredibly annoying.

12. Beez

Beez Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 GTX 4Gb
    Noticed I couldn't charge my phone when connected to my PC last night. Thought my phone was broken. Nope, it's this new update. WTF Microsoft??

EDIT: This fixed it for me after selecting MTP USB Device (found on the Microsoft forums)

0. Phone plugged in and switched on (USB connection)

1. Open the device manager (in Windows 10, press the windows key, type "device" and then pick device manager)

2. Going down the list of items I found Portable Devices, and then within Portable Devices I found my phone listed.

3. Right click over the Windows Phone.

4. Select Update Driver Software

5. Select the option "Browse my computer for driver software."

6. Select the option "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

7. The list I was presented with showed 3 items:

MTP Device

MTP USB Device

MTP USB Device

8. Tried the first one, by selecting it and clicking next, it did some installing (few seconds) and gave an error.

9. Refreshed Windows File Explorer to see if the phone had appeared. It didn't.

10. Tried the second one, this time no error message.

11. Refreshed Windows File Explorer to see if the phone had appeared. It did. Hurrah.

12. All seems OK again.

Other computers may have more "MTP USB Devices" to try.

Hope this works for you. :)

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Had this update installing by itself last night on one computer, but i didn't connect my phone into it.
    Right after got this message on my newsfeed about broken connectivity.
    I just need a little push Microsoft to go all Linux.Make your move, please.

15. I still have this problem i don't have that update my itunes64 bit is already installed, windows recognize my iphone and charges, but is not recognized as storage :/

I mean Itunes64 recognie my phone perfectly
    Windows does recognize my iphone as charger, but not as storage.... like i need X.x!

[​IMG]

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

As I take it such behaviour is intentional. Apple doesn`t want you to copy files freely.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nope. That would be against their belief that consumers want to be told how to use their devices.

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    But ofc that`s out of discussion - they know better.