MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    Copy both "Profiles" folders and msiafterburner.cfg from C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner and C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    MSIAfterburner.cfg for the MSI Afterburner software is the default config though and is updated with new settings so if you've made changes to this file directly then it might be a good idea to check via something like WinMerge or other comparison software if anything has been changed, added or removed when you update Afterburner.

EDIT: Oh I'm being blind, the actual .\Profiles config file is named the same thing.
    (There's also PCI device config files here corresponding to your GPU.)

For RTSS it's "Global" and "Config" also from the .\Profiles folder, there's a .\ProfileTemplates folder as well with the default settings but you probably shouldn't edit those directly.
    (Copy/pasting into the user generated files instead would probably be cleaner.)

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I've uploaded new beta of RTSS 7.0.0 (beta 7):

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/RTSSSetup700Beta7.rar

- Changed OSD preview window doubleclicking functionality. In the previous betas it was toggling between normal / 2x sized preview window, now it is completely detaching preview window from the main window so you can set custom size for preview window yourself.
    - Changed benchmark statistics representation in OSD. Now in addition to cur/min/avg/max framerate it is also displaying statistics recording time.
    - In integer framerate mode framerates should now be rounded properly instead of simply stripping fractional part in the pervious betas.
    - Added support for FCAT overlay in raster 3D OSD rendering mode for DX1x. Previously FCAT required vector mode only to be used in DX1x API. Please take a note that it required slight refactoring of DX1x OSD rendering code, so please report any anomalies in DX1x OSD if you notice anything strange comparing to the previous betas.
    - Added support for realtime switching between raster and vector OSD rendering modes in DX1x applications. Now it should be possible to switch it while D3D1x application is running, previously it required application restart.
    - FCAT in OGL was broken after introducing text formatting tags in the previous betas. It should be fixed now.
    - Improved OGL legacy context fallback mode introduced in the previous betas.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  4. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    First thank!

With all the new Betas (they are great), I need to restart my PC (Folding@Home User so 24/7 ON). So, can I ask, if there is a special reason why the PC need to be restartet for the use of a new Version of RTSS ?

5. Unwinder

You're mistaking, there were no changes in installer for a few years, that add new conditions on requiring restart during installation. Restart was always required when some files (usually hooks libarries) are currently attached to some process and cannot be overwritten immediately.

6. ultraex2003

ultraex2003 Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd 2x290 Cfx
    i tried download RTSSSetup770Beta7 but i have error Object not found!

7. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    Yes I know that, a restart was allways needed (sorry for my poor english ;-) ). Ok if that is needed, so I will restart my PC, no problem. It had only be nice if it where possible without.

8. Unwinder

My bad, there was a typo in the link. It is RTSSSetup700Beta7, not RTSSSetup770Beta7. Link is fixed, please try again.

9. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Dito.
    [edit]
    now works, just downloaded.
    thx
    [/edit]

I think I found an issue

MSI AB 4.4.0.9776 Beta 3 + RTSS 7.0.0 Beta 6

I was playing around with alarm and threshold.
    In the monitoring graph @framerate I set min value to 25. Intended to have alert when FPS drops down to 25 or lower.
    My D3D9 game was stable @60fps (limited by RTSS with game profile) and FPS was in red. MSI AB displayed alert for framerate.
    Screenshot: http://prnt.sc/elgqrx

When I don't use min value i don't get an alarm at all:
    Screenshot: http://prntscr.com/elgrme

I tested some other monitoring entries, but this issue was only @fps

btw: same issue, when I don't limit fps

10. Unwinder

That's not an issue an will stay so.
    You should take the nature of <Framerate> and <Frametime> graphs into account when defining the thresholds on them and do it with caution. You may have _multiple_ 3D applications running in the system but you have just _one_ graph in hw monitoring module for framerate of all apps. So, as reflected in documentation, those graphs represent the framerate/frametime of currently focused application only if few of them are running concurrently. You physically cannot switch to one 3D application and see framerate of other backround 3D app on the graph. The same apply to thresholds.

11. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    In the info dialog this game is the only active 3D application
    Are other 3D applications set to "detection level: none" still considered in the calculation?

The windows of MSI AB and RTSS are in front, just for the screenshot. Having the focus on game still has same effect.

still no issue?

12. Unwinder

Just noticed that manual UWP injection mode was tied not only to OSD show/toggle hotkeys as designed, but also to benchmark begin/end recording hotkeys. This caused benchmark recording begin/end hotkeys to be processed with noticeable lag when pressing them from UWP game. It will be fixed in the next RTSS beta.

13. Unwinder

No issue. Pay attention to "Framerate" graph with focused application framerate, which is at ZERO on your screenshot. That's what is being used for threshold triggering handling, not the framerate of any background running apps.

14. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    ok, will do.
    thx for clarification.

15. Unwinder

RTSS 7.0.0 Beta 8 is uploaded.

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/RTSSSetup700Beta8.rar

It fixes previously mentioned issue with benchmark hotkeys handling in UWP apps.
    Also I've added new command to OSD preview window context menu. Not sure why anyone would actually need to load some old previously captured screenshot instead of automatically capturing new one directly from RTSS in realtime, but anyway, let it be ;)

16. anth_15

anth_15 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Does ghost recon wildlands OSD work with the new RTSS 7.0.0 Beta?

17. Unwinder

Don't be lazy and use search please!!!!!!!! It is terrible expensive for me to waste work time, which is quite limited during weekends, to comment the same things over and over again.

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The game hasn't been updated further so the EAC software it's using remains unchanged since the previous 1.1.5 patch thus no changes to the games whitelist or blacklist of various third party software.
    (Which seems to be based around digital signatures.)

That and 7.0.0 is still in beta.
    (Unwinder posted some more detailed info earlier about how this works.)

Looks like I missed the beta 8 update earlier today, guess it depends on what's discovered in the current available versions but perhaps a full release of Afterburner 4.4.0 and RivaTuner Statistics Server 7.0.0 isn't too far off now. :)
    (Well what would I know, certainly feels very stable though but I'm just one user.)

19. aj_hix36

aj_hix36 Member

Ok so, I've discovered a weird issue with Rivatuner + Vulkan. I'm running the latest of MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner 7.0 Beta 8 from this thread.

If running Rivatuner Overlay and playing Doom Vulkan, and you load a level, get to a checkpoint, and run a little bit away from the checkpoint and die, the loading times become VERY long, sometimes over a minute, and this is while Doom is installed to an SSD. The loading indicator before it turns into a percentage just spins for a very long time, once it finally turns into percentage it loads as normal.

Now if I do the same thing, with Rivatuner off, or just setting profile Application Detection Level to None, the game loads as normal, takes 5-10 seconds, jumps to the percentage loading indicator immediatly.

I repeated this many many different times, combos with Steam overlay disabled, SLI disabled (even though vulkan doesnt support SLI anyways in Doom), and the only thing that made a difference to the loading times was Rivatuner Overlay.

I presume that something with the Vulkan Rivatuner Hooks is interfering with the loading of the game.

Edit: BTW if I run the game in OpenGL mode, loading checkpoint works fine with Rivatuner.

20. Unwinder

That's the way Vulkan renderer is done in this game and loading time is tied to framerate. Either disable framerate limiting or get used to it. And I'd be really thankful if common application configuration related questions like this one or the one above about EAC and RTSS get posted in different threads. This thread is dedicated to polishing NEW functionality, nothing else.