Audio playback issue using Audio Source #2

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by MiataManiac, Jun 20, 2014.

1. MiataManiac

MiataManiac Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 660ti SC+ 3GB x2
    Hi all! After spending the last 3 hours tweaking settings and searching Google and various forums, including this one, I have finally run into the proverbial brick wall... :bang:

I am new to the video recording feature of Afterburner, as I have always used FRAPs. However, with the latest update on SWTOR, my frame rates while recording have dropped to somewhere around 10 FPS regardless of what options I choose in the game or FRAPs so I have decided to give Afterburner a try.

Needless to say, I'm quite impressed and will most likely stick with it regardless of the issue I'm having, but I'd like to get it resolved if at all possible.

So, here's my problem: Audio Source #1 (the normal game audio that comes through the speakers in this case) is working fine. It is crystal clear with perfect playback.

However, Audio Source #2 (mic) is stuttering quite badly during playback. I have searched and searched this problem, all to no avail. Here is an example:

h ttp://youtu.be/MWLneYd3atI (Sorry for weird link. My post count is not high enough to post direct links as I am a new member. Simply copy and paste link and remove the space between the h and t).

What I have discovered so far:

1) It is only occurring on Audio Source #2. When I switch the mic to #1 and the speakers to #2, the mic works fine, and the game sound stutters.

2) It occurs across all video encoding formats and all codecs.

3) It occurs in all games.

4) It occurs in all players when played back.

5) It occurs regardless of audio source selection (i.e. Auto Select, DirectSound, or WASAPI)

6) It occurs regardless of which port the mic is physically plugged into on the tower or MOBO.

7) I must have "Mix Multiple Audio Tracks" selected in order to get any sound out of Audio Source #2 and the problem occurs regardless of whether or not "Downmix Multichannel Audio to Stereo" is selected with either "Stereo Rip" or "Stereo Mix" selected.

Sound is handled via Realtek High Definition Audio. All drivers, Afterburner, and Riva tuner are up to date.

Copy and paste this to see my current settings regarding this in Afterburner:

h ttps://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/149898_10152558013924789_4980884217491428073_n.jpg (Same thing again with this link).

I appreciate all the help anyone can give.

2. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    This is no stuttering.
    It's that your mic is enabled for output. So you hear yourself speaking.
    And because you record all what is going to your headphone, even what you spoke in your mic, you get recorded your mic twice. First time as direct stream and second time as record from output which has a little latency and therefore sounds like a echo or "stuttering".

Turn off output for your mic in windows.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  3. MiataManiac

MiataManiac Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 660ti SC+ 3GB x2
    Um... That completely mutes the microphone so it can't be used at all. :3eyes: I think you may be thinking of the "Listen to this device" option under the listen tab, which I do not have checked, but actually does work, but only because I only have to choose Audio Source #1 since the mic is played back through the speakers immediately. However, I would really rather the sound not pick up everything that I say as I talk to myself a lot when I play and not all of it is family friendly and the slight echo it produces is a tad annoying. But that echo is only because I'm hearing my own voice speak twice. When the sound is played back it does not echo because I'm wearing headphones. Regardless, the playback definitely sounds more like a skipping CD or record than an echo. Thank you for your suggestion though.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

What is your mic sampling rate set in Windows recording properties? Try to lower it.

5. MiataManiac

MiataManiac Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 660ti SC+ 3GB x2
    Tried that too. No dice.

6. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    hmmm you set "Auto select" for your audio sources?
    Try to set sudio source #1 to "WASPI playback: headphones"
    an audio #2 to "WASPI record: microphone"
    [​IMG]

7. MiataManiac

MiataManiac Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 660ti SC+ 3GB x2
    I've tried this as well. No change.

8. PeStil3nc3

PeStil3nc3 Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280X
    I have the exact same problem and can confirm that it is "audio source 2" giving the problem.

At first I thought it was something with my mic settings or some MSI Afterburner setting. But then I read this post and tried swapping my audio sources around, but then my game sounds were stuttering and my mic was perfect again.

i.e.

Audio playback was on source 1
    Audio capture was on source 2

It gave the same stuttering that you can hear in the video posted.

I changed it around and it was the audio playback giving the stuttering then rather that the audio capture.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014