Can't access shared network folders in windows 10

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by MKube402, Aug 2, 2015.

1. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    I am running WHS 2011 every one has a log in and permissions. every thing works fine in windows 7 and older.
    I install windows 10 and now i have no access to the network folders cant even remote in to the server from windows 10... If this is how MS is going to play things ill stick with 7 till i die..

Here is a pic of there error
    [​IMG]

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I went through the same crap in my 10 setup. Was working perfectly until I had the silly idea of changing my computer name. Of course there may be many other variables. Are you using Homegroup or just the basic the file/printer sharing option?

3. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    if you try and connect to your home server via its IP address can you connect to it?

so something like \\192.168.1.2 and see if can access it with that method.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  4. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    yes I can log in that way but it is the web interface.

5. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    not using Homegroup I have it setup with file sharing.
    I have 2 Drives shared

ill try to do a clean install with the proper computer name... normally when I click on the server in the network it will ask me for a user name and password and all is well...

6. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Are you using pin code to logon to Windows 10? If so.. disable it. I was not able to access shared folders on my network using pin code authentication on windows 10

7. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    no i am not using a pin code

8. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    it seems when windows 8 came out this was an issue as well. i am still not finding any help on the web.
    i tried WHS Launchpad but i cant get it to install on the Win 10 system :bang:
    [​IMG]

I am installing windows small business server 2011 on a VMware on my other system see if login in with a Domain will work..

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Dont lose all hope just yet. You did mention that you were able to log in with IP...
    Not through the web interface or any browser, but from windows explorer you should see your shared drives/folders.

[​IMG]
    If you can access them, then you can create a shortcut to the computer with the shared drives using its IP.

Its OK to rename your PC after install, the problems arise after sharing has been enabled using Homegroup and then changing it, at least in my case. Had to start over and delete the idstore.sst file where all the network sharing data is kept.

10. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    @ alanm i can only log in through the web interface. not though windows explorer
    if i type in my servers IP address in windows explorer under networking it just opens up IE and runs the web server...

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Dont type in your servers address with http://... that will open in browser. In windows explorer, type in the IP address of the shared PC like this: \\192.168.1.001 . Doing it that way should either access it or give the 'network path not found' error you initially encountered.

If the network path error comes up, at least you're narrowing things down. Is network discovery enabled? Is domain same (ie workgroup), etc

12. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI

Ok ill give that a test tonight

13. MKube402

MKube402 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070 TI
    ok \\192.168.1.55 worked i did try that before but i only used 1 "\" opps
    Thanks!

14. kbal

kbal Member

I had no problems connecting to my network drive (Openwrt on router + USB HDD), but MPC won't play videos directly from the drive, and Terracopy does not work... file not found.
    Windows explorer and WMP work.

?

15. persiomenezes

persiomenezes Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    Same problem here. It's a bug of Windows 10.