Asus GTX 980 TI Strix DC3 OC noob questions

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by tfilipe, Dec 23, 2015.

1. tfilipe

tfilipe Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 TI 6GB
    Hello, i am a complete rookie in these matters. The very little i understand of OC(ing) GPU cards comes from reading information posted on forums like these.

However, i would like to request some info/help regarding an overclocking procedure on an Asus GTX 980 TI Strix factory clocked (the one that as a 1317 Mhz boost).

I didnt use Asus GPU tweak (didnt liked it) and instead i used EVGA precision (5.3.10).

First question: im running at 110% power, 80C temp target, +110Mhz GPU clock and +200Mhz Mem clock. I noticed that the voltage goes up to 1.2000v when achieving max GPU load, but i didnt add any voltage in EVGA precision, it´s at 0 mv. Shouldn´t the voltage remain at 1.1750 (card default)?

Second question: is it safe to have that voltage (1.2000)? My temperature never rises above 70 degrees celsius (with my current fan curve, i think the max fan rpm i get is between 55-60%).

Thank you for any help!

Regards

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Wouldn't see anything extraordinary there. I wouldn't worry about those 1.2v at all, my cards reach that easily (and I'd wish they'd take more voltage). As long as the temperature is OK and your overclock is stable.

3. tfilipe

tfilipe Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 TI 6GB
    Thank you for your help.

Can you actually get past 1.2120v with your Strix cards?

4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hardly. Either you need Unwinder's advanced support for I2C commands via third party hardware support on Afterburner, or you need to toy around with Shamino's mod. But basically even BIOS editing doesn't get you where Gigabyte's cards can get via a simple Afterburner slider. Reason why I probably won't be buying Asus cards again.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You tried maxwell bios tweaker?

6. tfilipe

tfilipe Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 TI 6GB
    How far did you get in OCing the GPU clock?

7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Tried to figure out the most stable overclock with what I can do without BIOS tweaking. Formerly I was fine running both cards at 1511 core (haven't bothered too much with memory tbh), but recently I was dumped down to 1490... quite disappointing to be honest. Unless I figure out how to reliabily push in more voltage, I can't even test to where I'd get... Also I've had about 6 months time now and didn't edit the BIOS yet, I'm kind of worried I forgot most of what I read up on back then heh.

Target was 1600 but forget it with those cards, that's my current feeling. Quite disappointing when Gigabyte or MSI users just have to install afterburner and pump in 1.3v with the slider...

edit: even with unwinder's third party support I can't push the cards to +60mv, +50 seems to work though. Will have to try and increase it little by little, then I'll be able to toy with the core, then vram... and then put it into a bios I guess. Just to mention it, power target is at maximum slider position (125%) of course.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Post your bios and tell me your target voltage, its really safe and cuts out the annoyance of using MSI AB.

Once you have the bios it takes all of 1min to flash and reboot.

9. tfilipe

tfilipe Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 TI 6GB
    That´s a lot...and you are unhappy?

My power slider can´t go any further than 110%...You can go to 125%?

I can get the core clock to 1300Mhz and boost to 1401Mhz (the sensors read 1451Mhz max core speed). It´s borderline stable...

The voltage same story, i cant get past 1.2120v...(and i cant slide past +50mv like you...).

So yeah, i understand what you mean by it´s limitations. However you are achieving much higher clocks than me...perhaps it´s because you can use 125% on the power slider?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I know, I've had my first experiences with flashing and modding my old 580 lightning's bios without bricking my card :D
    I'd very much appreciate your help, you've already been a valuable source of information on my build thread, thanks a lot for your help!

Don't forget, my cards are water cooled too, and barely go above 41°C while extensive BF4 gaming and stress on both cards. The power slider is very welcome, yes, although afterburner already showed 125% even without third party hardware support applied. I started with maxing out power and voltage (which was at a max of +37mv back then) and went for 1511.

Then there came a driver update (359 branch) and sice them I have troubles with achieving those 1511, so I started from scratch again. Found out that eventually voltage above +50mv messes with the stability even with 1490 clock applied. I guess the max voltage the digi vrm chip can take is still limited (compared to other cards that were able to reach 1.3v or about +87mv), which has shown on the 970 cards too as far as I understood.

Shamino's mod on 980 cards basically works on some chips, doesn't on others, and is more difficult to apply since it's originally aimed at ln2 overclocking. There you have to know what you're doing with your card's bios than just accepting the voltage limit which still makes me hesitate to try it (it originally involves hardmodding which I won't do at this point).

About the Ti, I guess it's also due to the sice of the chip. What's your ASIC? Veteran put his card under water too (full cover block) and he achieved 1550 iirc. But I had the feeling he had a good clocker there anyhow. But I think he could apply more voltage (don't remember his card's manufacturer, probably EVGA), and he also used Cyclops's modded bios, whatever that actually did.

11. tfilipe

tfilipe Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 TI 6GB
    Not much, 65%. Not very lucky in that department.

Did your card always achieved 125% power? Some cards got 125% others 110% (i think only early released cards got 125, now it´s only 110%). I guess that Asus reduced or limited more the Strix cards...

Does Asus has a Bios for download to achieve 125%? (Dont want to loose warranty on the card)