The War Z: Shooter Survival Zombie MMO

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by signex, Jul 19, 2012.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti

Well, that didn’t take long. Someone’s announced a persistent survival shooter-MMO set in a zombie apocalypse. It has permadeath (as an optional “Hardcore Mode”). It has PvP and PvZ folded into the same experience. It has a hunger mechanic. It has a dude in a baseball cap. The War Z is undeniably inspired by Day Z, one of the best things to happen on the PC this year. But before you load your cynicism guns with copycat bullets, I wonder: is that really a bad thing?

More game details and screenshots within.

The War Z describes itself as a “Survival Horror MMO that immerses players in a zombie-infested, post-apocalyptic world in which a viral outbreak has decimated the human population leaving, in its wake, a nightmare of epic proportion.” It’ll be available unbelievably soon: Fall 2012 for $30 (coincidentally, the same price of Arma 2: Combined Operations), and it won’t carry a subscription fee.

The game’s being developed by Hammerpoint Interactive, a new developer. According to Sergey Titov, Executive Producer, they began development last fall. “The major difference is that DayZ is a fantastic mod for a hardcore military simulation game,” Hammerpoint Interactive Senior Game Designer Eric Nordin says in an interview with IGN about the game. “We are creating a standalone game, with the entire world designed around a zombie apocalypse, so that players feel completely immersed in that environment.

Here’s a breakdown of features, taken verbatim from the press release:

Big open worlds to explore between 200 to 400 square kilometers
    Two modes of play: Normal and Hardcore
    Combination of first-person and third-person perspectives
    Meld of PvE (player versus environment) and PvP (player versus player)
    Strong Role Playing Elements
    Multiple playable characters with customizable features
    Unique social elements, including bounties, help requests, trap setting, etc.
    Safe settlements where players can purchase, sell and store items as well as post notes for other players
    Dozens of unique skills that can be learned and improved
    Up to 250 players per game server
    New weapons and items become available as players explore the game world
    Full developer support with regularly scheduled, free content updates
    Dedicated public servers as well as private servers that can be completely self-managed in game client
    Single purchase, downloadable client with ability to play full game without subscriptions or requiring in-game transactions

From this, I think it’s fair to speculate that The War Z won’t share Day Z’s emphasis on realism and experimentation. Some of its systems seem more in-line with what we’d expect from conventional RPGs or MMOs: a skill system, customizable characters, item selling, and bounty-setting, which I actually love the idea of (my death to Pokerguy33 in Day Z still goes unavenged). Promising larger player capacity than Day Z (although this is something the mod’s creator, Dean “Rocket” Hall, continues to pursue) is also something of a surprise, especially if The War Z will be able to accommodate all of those players in a single instance.

What’s totally unclear is what kind of shooter The War Z could be. The release makes no mention of real-life ballistics modeling or what form its combat mechanics will take, leaving me to imagine it might strive for accessibility.

Anyway, I know it’s natural to express cynicism about developers pinching ideas—or whole concepts—from one another. And I’m in no way defending the breathtaking absence of originality put forth here, but I’m also not sure if copycatting is some inherent sin that we should condemn. To some extent, this is how genres are formed, and variations on Day Z’s wildly-successful concept were inevitable. We’re not living in an imaginary dimension where only one version of a thing can exist. The World Z will have a lot to live up to—Arma carries a lot of inherent traits that lend itself to survival simulation, and not all of them are easily reproducible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  3. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    looks nice! thanks for the link.

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Funny, the first screenshot makes me think of The Secret World, and the second of DayZ :D

5. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Just read the interview and this sounds like an awesome game. Already better than Class3 and maybe Class4.

One time only transaction fee and micropayments only to speed up some things, not increased weapondry or maps or addons.

Free addons for the life the game! Just like Killing Floor! Note that KF DLC is only cosmetic and optional!

And private server, coop mode! Finally... Can kick all the douche bags out of the game while we coop play with friends and rejoin the rest of the world later.

Signing up for this!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  6. kapo

kapo Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    Original name :rolleyes:

Sounds like a soft core version of dayZ with mmo aspects added on. There may be a larger market for this but it's probably not for me.

7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Can't help but get the same feeling. Rocket better be working overtime to beat this one to the punch.

8. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Don't we already have a Day Z threa... oh wait...

9. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    I'm game, ill always be for a zombie survival game!

10. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I think the lighting needs some work. It looks like everything is rendered outside the game.

13. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Yes your right, doesnt really fit the zombie appocalypse setting.

14. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    well good thing there is a beta, hopefully i get picked :D

15. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    Yeah! Me too, I quite like this setting!

16. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    putty where have u bee nman. i need a new IMAC, powerful, to game..which one pls?

17. proliferazor

proliferazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    What engine are they using?

18. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I dunno the screenshots look pretty bright and cartoony. Not feeling the Apocalypse in it. DayZ has a dark and gritty feel to it that is just right.

19. proliferazor

proliferazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    Question, what is it about a zombie apocalypse that would make the sky dark and color less during the day?

/sarcasm
    I speak for everyone when I say that brown and gray scale graphics are LAME and BORING give me color, especially the color RED.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  20. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I want a dark orange sunset vibe going on. I kinda hate grey as hell lol.