Afterburner set itself to 1000 core/memory

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by itsbranden, Apr 24, 2016.

1. itsbranden

itsbranden New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
    Hello,
    I had a similar issue as someone else here on the forum, but it looks like their post was closed... I have Afterburner 4.2.0 installed and nvidia's 364.51 driver.

Everything had been working great for a couple of days and then one night I go to bed, come back in the morning and notice my monitors won't wake up and my computer room is like 85 degrees and my fans are ramped up to like 100%.

I'm thinking maybe I forgot to close my game or something like that and it locked my system up so I reboot. Computer boots into Windows 10 fine and then after about 4-5 seconds the computer locks up...hmmm.

I go through msconfig and disable all startup items, and then start enabling them one by one...I get to Afterburner and the computer freezes again. So now I disable AB from startup. Once the computer is rebooted again I manually open AB and thats when I see it- +1000 Core +1000 Mem, the computer freezes again.

I went through, cleared AB back to defaults, reinstalled etc and everything seems to be fine now. BUT I just thought you should be aware of the issue (if it is one), and know that it isn't some isolated incident that randomly occurred.

I read your responses to the other post and was a little confused by your reaction, just know I'm not here to point fingers or something like that. Thanks in advance.

2. IamGODobeyORdie

IamGODobeyORdie Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 780@SLI & GTX 780M
    Dont be expecting any help or advice here, atleast not from Unwinder, hes got this head upp his ass, and loves the view. He thinks because his app is free, he doesnt need to care if it works as intended, but he will when his arrogance starts to cost him... so sorry for youre troubles, but unwinders is known to be a spoiled little brat that doesnt want to be bothered with these kind of trivial issues. I think if you paid him 500$ he would be first on the job to help you out! ;)

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Right, best of luck to you but goodbye.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    aaaaand it's gone.
    wth homeless can't even beg for donations anymore??
    :D

OP cant help you
    I've never seen AB "setting itself" to anything other that what I had set it

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Never seen AB do that either, but adds to the reason why you don't check the "Startup" box, unstable OCs that crash the machine will be set on each boot otherwise

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Automatic overclocking with windows startup, same as flashing BIOS with increased clocks... is the stupidest thing :)

and for what... saving 2s literally.

CLICK + OC profile Shortcut

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's all I do, Click AB sys tray icon > press Profile No 1 > Game

8. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    odd, I have been using Afterburner, and Rivatuner for many years. Upgraded to Windows 10 over the weekend, had a driver crash playing Fallout 4, rebooted, and Windows would crash to a grey screen after logging on. I found that Afterburner had set both clocks to 1000 as well. First time this has ever happened. Strange, but worrying.

9. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Could be wrong but IIRC after an upgrade to 10 you should uninstall/reinstall AB to redo registry settings. Do not save settings on uninstall, worth a shot.

10. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It seems to be working ok now, just the one time after a crash the program set the clocks incorrect.