Nvidia ION folding?

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by spfabio, Jan 12, 2010.

1. spfabio

spfabio New Member

GPU:
    Asus 9800GT HP 512Mb
    Hello.
    Early this year i bought an Asus 1201n. So it has hardware capabilities above normal and thanks to the ION gpu I thought that it might actually be able to fold... I'm using the GPU version of Folding@home with the Nvidia viewer and it says that my graphic card is currently not supported or there are missing drivers. I also tried other versions without the viewer.

I have the latest drivers from Nvidia (195.62) and I updated the BIOS to version 317. And I haven't made a clean install of Windows 7 premium. Just deactivated some services and programs from running...

Is it possible to fold with this machine? I wonder why I can't find nothing related to this anywhere. :confused:
    I have also one 9800GT on my desktop making roughly 4000PPD. I'm looking to make half or a third on this one :giggle2:

Waiting for some way to make this work :)
    Thanks.

2. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    this post will not be helpful,

i dunno, i'm folding on my 9400GT in my workstation and getting around 1200PPD.

i think its just a matter of supporting the GPU name.. it might be supported in the future.

3. Romiz

Romiz Guest

Agree would expect it in the future. The Ion has the same number of cuda cores as the 9400 GT so would expect it to get 800 PPD to 1000 PPD, since it has a lower clock rate. Ion is 300 MHz slower than the 9400 GT.

It would be worth posting this in the official folding forums. Maybe there is a work around to make the ion work. http://foldingforum.org/

I was just reading the forums and people are folding with the ION and getting 663. Here is the link so you can maybe talk with this person "cordis".

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11424&p=113265&hilit=ion#p113265

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2010
  4. spfabio

spfabio New Member

GPU:
    Asus 9800GT HP 512Mb
    All right. Thanks to both of you. 1200 points would be great! Of course the ion is not an 9400gt in all its glory...
    I will try to talk to "cordis" even though he is in a nettop wich somehow can be different from the netbook architecture.

It's a good idea to post the question on that forum as well. I will register tomorrow or so. In the mean time, I accept other suggestions/solutions ;)

5. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    as far as i know it, the ION is a 9400m G, 16 sp, 450Mhz core.

i think my zotac 9400GT in my workstation is at 450Mhz also, i could be mistaken.

6. spfabio

spfabio New Member

GPU:
    Asus 9800GT HP 512Mb
    Well, Maybe it can

Hi.

I want to apologize but in the last week i've been pretty busy...
    I registered at the folding forum and people there have been answering my question. http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=12948

At first, I and everyone with the ION (wich is not supported yet), need to create a shortcut with the flag "-forcegpu nvidia_g80" after the name of executable.

So I did it and later it initiates and asks to configure the program normally. Attempting to get work packet gives an error of internet connection. I am using windows firewall only and tried to configure it as the program uses the port 80 (standard http) wich is oppened according to my network administrator. :funny:Then I tried to run the program with administrator rights and it got the work packet.

Last error was cudart.dll missing... I'm downloading the CUDA driver now to see how it goes. Apparently most recent drivers are too unstable even for folding.

I hope that with my problems and time spent I actually helped someone :giggle2:

I feel that I'm almost there! xD

7. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    should you not forcegpu G98? its not a G80!!

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I think the flag possibly just allows if to run cuda instructions.

9. Romiz

Romiz Guest

The cuda drivers are very stable just some of the projects are harder on the GPU. At this time I am running with cuda 3.0.1 (6.14.11.9621) with zero folding errors. Even the previous 1 had a zero error rate. Now 2 versions back would get an error or 2 but that was with a 8600 GT OC to the limit. Now using a 9600 GT 59 watts with no OC (since newest nvidia driver broke MSI D.O.T., afterbruner, RT and Evga version). Normally I run with a modest 5% OC which gave 200 PPD more.

Yes the G80 turned on cuda for 8xxx + cards (and with cuda drivers installed) not sure about G98. Reading the FAQ and they note to using G80 also. Does not look like G98 does anything. The ion also uses the C79MX chip very close to a 9300 since half the ROPs and Memory Bandwidth of a 9400 GT.

ROPs mean Raster Operation Unit of new ppl to graphics cards. And these are the units that perform tasks such as colour tests, filtering and AA. So you will not get good AA with an ION. Compare Ion 4 ROPs and new Fermi is set to have 48.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010