Radeon R9-290X Crossfire vs GeForce GTX 780 SLI tested and reviewed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Ilya

Ilya Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 SLI @ 1200/7000
    95c ouch

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    "Then again, I am anal when it comes to noise levels, others would be perfectly fine with what we measured." lolwut :D

Awesome review Hilbert, I'm debating whether or not to go 2way xfire or stick with one 290X for 2560x1440!!! :banana:

4. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    So on average, about 100 euros cheaper than a GTX 780 for a tiny bit more performance in most games. though better improvement in battlefield.

Hmm, nvidia is going to need to lower prices otherwise I wouldn't even think twice about going amd.

5. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    Is it just me, or is it weird not seeing the crossfire connector?

6. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    That's some some serious performance. :p

I wonder how far back the non-X version is and how much heat it generates. Maybe that one is better suited for CF.

Thanks for the article. :)

7. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Those two 290x are squished oh so close together, the reason for such high temps? Or did I miss something?

8. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    95c is the expected temp that AMD is saying for just one card.

9. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Hmmmm. Well I guess if they are designed to operate at that then np. Just surprised me. Still think things would be improved with more spacing though. ;p

Edit: My bad, just noticed the three pipes around the intake and the single GPU temps, won't make that big of a difference after all.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I think it's neat :)

11. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    there aren't anymore connectors :)

12. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    AMD On The Temperatures:
    I wanted to highlight our new PowerTune mechanism, as some of you have expressed concerns around acoustics and temperature. As noted in our explanation of the new mechanisms included in PowerTune on the 290 Series, we have designed the 290 Series to operate at a steady state of 95C. By running at 95C, we are both maximizing the performance and minimizing the acoustics of the product. We do this by increasing clocks/voltages and/or reducing the fan speed until the GPU runs at the temperature target. By having the GPU target at lower temperature, you sacrifice either performance or acoustics.
    Some of you have expressed concern over the GPU running at 95C. Be assured, that 95C is a perfectly safe temperature at which the GPU can operate for its entire life. There is no technical reason to reduce the target temperature below 95C. However, like all aspects of PowerTune, this is completely within the control of the end user. If you would rather have you GPU operate at a lower temperature, such as 85C or 73C, we strongly encourage you to customize it to your preference and write about it in your review. This is, after all, the reason that we design products with this level of flexibility.

13. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    just hope your sound card is ok sitting next to that cauldron, I burnt one before next to a warm gpu.

14. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Are clock rates bouncing around HH expected slightly better scaling? temperatures must be pushing boost speeds down? noticed jitter in the FCAT graphs

15. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    You saw the TPU graph...the reference cooler can hardly handle a constant ~800MHz at 3300RPM fan speed, let alone with closely knit 290X's in Crossfire.

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It will still be 95 max even in multi gpu setups since the card automatically downclocks to keep the 95 threshold, of course this is in stock settings, there will probably be ways to unlock that protection.

17. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    I know, Im just so used to seeing a crossfire connection. I mean its nice that it should be able to preform better without one now, just odd not seeing one.

18. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    AMD on top!
    Haven't seen that for a while.
    Nice going. Nvidia really needs to come down with their prices now and release new stuff :banana: