AMD8350-How to do my first overclock

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by IhatebeingAcop, Oct 13, 2014.

1. IhatebeingAcop

IhatebeingAcop Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    So where do I start reading and what do I follow to overclock this CPU?

It's actually still in the box and I am running the 8150 at stock speeds currently. Everything I google turns up a different way to overclock. Is anyone willing to steer me in the right direction?

Best
    Adam
    http://postimg.org/image/sz6haxi0j/

^^^My PC^^^^^

2. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    It seems to be with this board I am going to have a hard time. A lot of the tutorials out there use a ASUS or MSI board. Makes it hard for someone like me who is trying to learn this and figure out how to do it.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm sorry to hear... can't help though, haven'T OCed such a CPU myself, so I would guess around mostly, just like you ;)
    Still I'm surprised nobody knows how to do it, help you with it, or has done it themselves around here...

4. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Likewise, I hvaen't received much feedback regarding my threads for help. Prior to the purchase everyone was all about helping me with the OC'n of my 8350. Now that I have it I am doing all the research myself and kinda flying blindly. Sounds like I need a after market cooler for my VRAM on my specific MOBO along with rigging up a very small fan on to it. Supposedly my board has some real bad heat problems there. Anyway yeah, I think I am going ot get that and then have the guy at Tiger Direct (off the books) OC it for me as he offered for a price. The contingency will be that he teaches me what he is doing as he is doing it so I know in the future.

5. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thhrty1moco.html

This is the VRAM cooler I was thinking of getting to replace my current one.

Edit: Not VRAM but VRM. Here is the link that talks about the crap my board offers. Apparently just to run a stock AMD Black CPU the VRM causes throttling (whatever the hell that means, I can guess).

So the fix is to buy after market VRM coolers and a small fan to put on top to try and help with the heat, even then this doesn't always solve the problem.

Wondering if I should just invest in a new board all together?

Best
    Adam

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Literally;

Bios -> Multiplier -> Change it to your desired frequency.
    Boot up normal, test it with prime95. Crash? Up the voltage, runs fine? Grats, your cpu is stable oc'd.

EDIT:

Ouch, I know the pain. The 8350 is a ****ing prick to get working stable.
    My 880G Extreme3 could in theory support it too. But then throttling started, complete system freezes, CPU fan going crazy.

I'd definitively go for a new board, also next time you build a gaming rig just let the whole ****ty AMD cpu crap go past you since intel seems to have far less issues with their high-end cpu's.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  7. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    I am already looking in to new boards. The original build I had no intention of OC'n at any point. Well you guys all know how it goes. You are happy with a new pc and then before you know it you're learning everything you can. Now that I figured otu this board is crap for OC'n I want to grab a new one.

Is it worth it with the new generation boards supporting DDR4 ram?

If it is worth is what are the suggestions for which board to get that won't break the bank and will allow me ot overclock?

Thanks
    Adam

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I wouldnt waste any more money on it tbh, and the only platform that supports DDR4 is X99 which is intel.

9. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    The problem is i just bought the 8350 and without overclocking it I kinda wasted my money. I went from a non-OC'd 8150 to the 8350 with the intention of OC'n it. I have plenty of fans, a after market air cooler and know there is a ton of potential with the piledriver vs the bulldozer. But when I purchased I didn't realize how bad my MOBO really was. What happens if I OC and the VRM overheats and ruins my mobo? Do I just need to replace the mobo or will that ruin other components too?

THanks
    Adam

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    My 8350 is stable @ 4.9 using 1.54v - Max recommended is 1.55v so Im within the limits although not easy to keep cool

The H100i just about manages to keep it within the safe range

[​IMG]

11. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    That HT link is crazy. Jeez.

12. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    You two have a much better MOBO.

This is the real problem. That board (meaning the one I have installed) specifically causes throttling even at stock according to this one user. Google; 'gigabyte 990fxa ud3 VRM problems' and you will find a ton of people saying this board is not suitable for a fx8350 let alone a overclock.

Sooooo, now that I have a 8350 bumped up from a 8150 (which btw according to my pc it only runs at 3.6 ghz) proof positive right there that it is already being throttled with a even weaker CPU. In addition my ram isn't operating at the speed it is rated at.

See this thread: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4936759#post4936759

I have all kinds of problems with this MOBO already. PC is randomly shutting down, errors occuring, freezing etc... I haven't done anything special to it. Everything is stock. I have Malware Bytes, Mcafee, CCcleaner, AutoLogics Disk Defrag. I feel I am pretty good at keeping my pc healthy, yet my buddy who games with me on a pre built laptop stated, "wtf is wrong with your pc, its always freezing etc." Sucks to hear that when you know your comp is better but you're being riddled with problems.

Bah!
    Adam

13. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Nah I can feel you, i'm running it throttled on 4 cores at stock frequency. Still has complete system freezes when watching streams.

But good luck man! I guess Gigabyte is out of the question for your next mobo!

14. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Yeah so as much as I don't WANT to buy a new MOBO it looks like I will have to or I'll have wasted my money on my processor.

So the question is; What mobo should I go with now that will give me the best bang for my buck and be suitable for overclocking?

I don't want to cheap out and get shafted on a bad MOBO again but I also realize my pc is getting dated and spending a dumb amount of money on a MOBO is not a good idea. Lets hear your ideas.

Best
    Adam

15. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080

16. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    I am leaning towards the asus sabertooth mobo. The VRM cooling looks great. Tons of fan connectors and plenty more features. Coming in at 180 that looks pretty good as a board for a heavy over clock.

17. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Sabertooth is a rock-solid mobo, you'll definitively can get the most outta that one and it will hold a good 5 years.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Can u post a screen shot of your bios settings. Disable turbo core and apm, enable HPC for now. I'm on a job atm but will check back later.

that board should be fine just needs to be set up right.

19. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Pill

At the moment I haven't even put in the 8350. Still trying to decide if I should stay with it and use the same mobo. Change it due to the problems everyone seems to be having with the VRM cooling, that means I need a new mobo as well as the cost of this new cpu (which is still in the box btw). Not sure which route to take. If I use this MOBO, try to overclock and my VRM melts a core (or whatever those single things are called on the MOBO) will it just be the MOBO I need to replace or will it kill other hardware portions?

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Well first try ocing your 8150, if its unstable and you absolutely have to have a new board for any decent OC, id return the 8350, buy a Z97 platform plus an i5, which will cost 300-400 total depending on the mobo you pick.
    Otherwise youll potentially waste money when you could have otherwise bought a new system.

8350 is plenty fine for a single gpu but since you said you were going SLI..