Can I throttle the processor speed down even lower?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by FULMTL, Aug 5, 2014.

1. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Laptop noob here. Actually my first laptop, which has a 2.4Ghz Bay Trail dual core.

Even if I use minimum Processor state 0%, the lowest it will go is 499.9MHz. This CPU throttles up almost instantly, and back down in a few seconds, so I think I can squeeze out some more battery if i can drop it to 400MHz or lower on idle.

Is that possible?

Other power saving things I've done is upgraded to 4GB low voltage RAM, 64GB SSD, dim screen after 1 minute, screen brightness 40%.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    No afaik, they're set in stone by the cpu.

You can use windows to set a cap on the max frequency though, and keep it at 500mhz, though at that stage I think you're talking about 10 minutes here or there compared to waiting forever for it to do things.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    There are T-states (adding to the C-states and P-states) which are pure throttling but they has nothing to do with frequencies.

4. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Not exactly what you're looking for but take a look at:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\

If you change the "Attributes" value of stuff to 0, it'll show up in the Power Saving's settings and you tinker with alot more stuff.

5. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Just read about those registry tweaks. Below 400MHz causes freezes on an i7 mobile CPU, so maybe thats why it's at 500MHz minimum.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Reducing the idle frequency further will only net you a few seconds to a few minutes of battery life at best. Nothing to get excited about. Also nothing that will make a real difference. It's really not worth risking stability for the gain you'll get.

7. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I think they could have made a larger battery instead of trying to be thin. What I hate about technology is that as mobile devices get smaller, so does the battery. I remember my first smartphone. I hated the battery life so much I went back to a flip phone that can't even connect to the internet.

Don't be surprised if you see me modding a larger battery to this laptop :)
    I'm drunk rambling now

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No, cpus have a minimum multiplier for idle, some mobos can override this but you wont have such capability in a non OC/gaming laptop.