overclock non-SLI cards

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by defho, Oct 17, 2008.

1. defho

defho New Member

GPU:
    evga 260:core 216 SLI
    greetings.. i'm stumped as to why rivatuner will not let me overclock my gtx 260s individually. I'm trying to get Folding@Home going and have successfully gotten two instances running.. one for each gpu which is resulting in a PPD of about 14k-17k.. the problem is I can only overclock my primary gpu with rivatuner.. if i choose my other video card via the pull-down menu and tick the "Enable driver-level hardware overclocking" checkbox it asks me to either reboot, detect now, or cancel. upon clicking detect now, the checkbox clears itself and the sliders remain greyed out with "N/A" in the fields that the clockspeeds are normally shown. using the Reboot option does absolutely nothing. Any ideas as to why I am not able to overclock my secondary video card with SLI disabled?

Thanks!

2. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX470
    Current version does not support what you want to do, but read this thread for information regarding the next version. I had the same problem as you, running F@H on both cards, and this answered my question:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=274442

PS. I think this question gets asked here a lot. I didn't get any answers when I posted the same question for that reason [I think]. I'm new though, so it doesn't bother me. I'm happy to post what I found ;)

3. defho

defho New Member

GPU:
    evga 260:core 216 SLI
    Hi Thunder! thanks for your reply.. i was thinking something like that might happen but I hadn't been able to find any similar threads with my problem.

Anyway after reading the thread you linked me to I didn't see anywhere where it said that the new version would support independent overclocking of non-sli cards.. the above quotes mention new features like the simultaneous monitoring and scheduling of multiple gpus, but not hardware overclocking.
    I am thinking either the new version won't do it.. or the capability already exists and I just haven't figured out yet how to do it. Is there anybody who could help me to better understand if RT can/can't overclock cards individually with SLI disabled?

My whole purpose for this is because while Folding@Home grants me about 8000+ overall PPD with cards in SLI... a card by itself is getting anywhere between 6000-7000 ppd. Running an instance of F@H for each gpu has been much more effective and if i could figure out how to get the second card to overclock like the first one, it would be teh awesomeness.

Thanks for your time! :)

4. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX470
    Just mod the second card's BIOS instead, that's what I've done[for now, until the new version is ready]. Kick the shaders up; that seems to give the most improvement with the least heat in FaH. You can do it with a utility named NiBiTor, easy to find with a search.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008