3D Stereoblindness.. anybody can help?

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by Austyn, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Austyn

Austyn Guest

As the title suggests, i suffer from "stereoblindness". I have been to 3D films in a cinema and own a 3D TV (my partner loves it), however im missing out massively as im "stereoblind"

Anybody here suffer from this? Anybody managed to overcome it by training your "weaker eye". Any help would be greatly appreciated, id love to enjoy 3D for all its splendour.

I have googled this but only found bits of information, and some book a woman wrote about "her experiences". Im after techniques and excercises i can do at home to deal with this...

Many Thanks

Austyn

2. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    if you find something please post it up, i had never heard about it. but i might suffer from it altho not entirely. i say this because like you. most who come watch 3d movies with me are amazed and try to touch stuff that they say is up in their face. but i dont see this stuff and i wish i could. i do see 3d cause i can see some depth to stuff. but im sure not as much as some of the people who experienced it on my tv have.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its possible your eyes arent separating the colours enough, a form of mild colour blindness perhaps?

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It depends on the movie. Some movies try and give you the 'in your face' feel, in most cases the scenes are overdone, and usually in 'kids' movies. Other movies are more about depth and atmosphere, such as Avatar in 3D. You don't notice how much better the 3D version is until you see it next to the 2D version. Watching it at home the 3D effects may have been tuned differently, I'm referring to in the cinema. This type of 3D is more about realism than having a few things that pop out at your face and having the rest of the picture relatively 'flat' looking.

Glassesless 3D TV will be more about depth than 'in your face' stuff, although there will be some perception of stuff popping 'out' of the TV. Cinema movies glassesless is much more difficult, due to the seating positions, distance from the screen etc. Glassesless 3D TV will have a optimum viewing angle and distance range from the TV, and remember that in years to come when people start complaining that the TV isn't working like it should when they sit a metre or so away from a 60 inch screen!...

Try covering your face with the palm of your hand, such that you get even coverage on the left and right side. Close one eye, and you will see the full palm. Open and close either eye, and you will see what appears to be part of your palm disappearing.

Watch 3D TV like this (both eyes open) with the glasses on, and see if the 3D effect works for you. Also see if you can read something at a distance with one eye and not the other... in which case you may need glasses (or contact lenses when watching 3D, at least until glassesless comes out!).

5. Austyn

Austyn Guest

A little confused at what your asking me to do, could you explain again. do i use both hands, one hand? vertical or horizontal? I have been doing a bit of research into this and i think i will go to a optomerist or optician and see what can be done. I wear glasses already as i have trouble reading signs at distance or letters on tv at 2 or more metres. However clarity on everything else is fine.

I have considered using a captain jack sparrow eye patch over my left eye as i have performed a visual test that indicates my left eye is slightly weaker.

I want to train my eyes and wont stop until I cam see 3d. I will keep you all updated on my quest.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Austyn

6. TARNY

TARNY Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti
    your lucky.Im blind in one eye and have been since birth,so no 3D for me. Cheap I suppose lol

7. iFRAC7UR3

iFRAC7UR3 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce GTX 680 2Gb
    nope, im colorblind.. have a 3d TV and can see it normally

and btw your not missing out on much though, ther is a reason the 3d market is going down the drain, lol.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    A friend has red/blue colour blindness and he doesnt find 3D much fun.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Next time take some LSD before watching the movie. You won't even need 3D glasses....all your friends will be jealous.

10. iFRAC7UR3

iFRAC7UR3 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce GTX 680 2Gb
    wtf?!? LOL

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Its because of the need to wear the glasses (which because how they work can end up tiring), and the amount of actual 3D video available. The TV's function 2D to 3D conversion can only take you so far.

The real evolution of 3D will come with glassesless 3D TV, although that still has the disadvantages of a reduced horizontal viewing angle, a 'prime' distance to sit from the tv, and the fact you can't really lay down and watch something - you have to keep your head relatively level. Actually I think if you don't abide by those guidelines you increasingly lose the 3D effect moreso than making the image unwatchable...

12. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    sometimes i wonder if i am stereo blind asswell or just partly stereo blind.

i see stuff popping out inside the screen all the time verry good but not outside the screen ever at all.

so bassicly its like looking like watching through a window seeing tons stuff in different depth's

13. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    colour blindness dose not effect 3D films. Only the 3D with red/blue glasses.

My eyes work independently, so 99% of the time im looking at things with my right eye. I can still see things out of it fine but if i switch and use my right eye to look at something i find it hard to read or look at things with it as.

Wish there was a way to train my eyes to work together so 3d works better for me.

I can still see the 3d in 3d films, just not all that well :(

14. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    2Austyn and dk_lightning

Stereoscopic blindness is a scientific fact, and actually up to 10-12% of human population can't perceive such artificial 3D images. It doesn't mean this is something wrong with you or your eyes or brain, it is simply the way your brain works.
    And sorry, there's no known (not to say proven) methods to train human "see" such artificial 3D images (movies, etc).

On your place I won't be bother too much, I've seen many 3D movies and the only one that I would say "requires" to be watched in 3D is Avatar... otrhers are just pants (though I didn't see SW Episode 1... possibly it was also something nice...)

15. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    Never said it wasnt :3eyes:

16. Enizax

Enizax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 TUF OC
    it happens, take me for example, i have terrible depth perception (even though I'm a terrific driver)
    i watched Avatar in 3d and i ended up having a headache if i didnt have my glasses under the 3d pair, and for me to properly see in 3d i had to concentrate real hard :p.

17. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    sounds like a lazy eye if your left eye is lazy then eye patch right eye only look through left for a while

18. mrBullseye

mrBullseye Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 GHz Ed.
    I have Amblyopia (which causes strabism) or lazy eye, as they call it, even though it doesn't show, and my other eye isn't really lazy.
    I have never been able to see stereoscopic imagery. The view master never wowed me, Rad racer with the glasses was just strange, and even though I can see depth as good as the next guy and actually have sharper vision (since using my right eye mostly for 28 years has made it stronger in some way) My depth vision is based on movement and perspective changes instead of stereoscopic difference.

I honestly don't know the difference since I've never had it any other way, but I can't see 3d and will never, ever, pay extra for such a ticket just to see a (for me) darker film.

Might be that you have something similar?

19. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Joining you in a different way, no 3D for me unless the framerate is high enough I've noticed.

Migraine patient, watching Avatar in 3D was like insta migraine attack.

Tried a demo of the Samsung 3D on 120Hz monitors for games, that was better, guess 30 fps per eye in 3D is just a no go for headaches.

20. Nisei

Nisei Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC