Unable to record - EncoderServer64 crash

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by RaXelliX, Jun 12, 2014.

1. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    This happens when i press to prerecord or record. Taking screenshots works fine. Video settings do not seem to make a difference. Still crashes. I havent tried clean installing afterburner and rtss yet. Running fully updated win7 sp1 x64 + latest ab & rtss.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Refresh memory with your old thread and try to recall which black magic you were doing to your system. :)

3. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    This is different as it crashes right away not after several hours. But i recreated my AB settings (renamed MSIAfterburner.cfg with .bak extension and re-entered all settings in AB GUI) and it's working at the moment. Not sure why it goes feet up after some time because im using the exact same settings now as i was before.

4. Unwinder

The crash address points to audio capture routine and it crashes when audio device is starting supplying data without properly reporting audio capture rate. So if I were you I'd carefully compare audio capture settings of both configs.

5. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    AudioCaptureFlags were different between the two files.

6. Unwinder

AudioCaptureFlags contain index of device you select for capturing audio. So looks like one of your configs point to wrong (inactive?) audio device.

7. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    Makes sense i guess. I did see on another topic about how you suggested setting up the audio config so i followed that advice: WASAPI Playback - Speakers & WASAPI Record - Microphone.

8. Unwinder

Anyway, I added exception handling to that part of code now. So if you have some improper audio device selected it won't crash on that and simply record movie with no audio track.

9. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    Thanks. Your efforts are much appreciated.

10. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    Update: Issue is likely solved now. Apparently theres a conflict between AB and Windows settings. AB records 16bit @ 48kHz but my windows was set to 24bit @ 192kHz and this caused encoderserver crash after 60> minutes. Setting windows back to default 16bit @ 44kHz or 16bit @ 48kHz fixes the problem.

So be advised when changing your windows audio quality settings!

11. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Thank for the sharing.

Just for confirm, did you means Playback devices, or Recording devices? :)

12. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    Depends on what you have selected in Prerecording tab. If you only capture playback then you have to check speaker audio quality. If you capture mic then you have to check that too. Mine was 24bit @ 192000Hz (Studio Quality). This was too much so i lowered it to 16bit 48000Hz (DVD Quality). So far no crashes even after long sessions.

13. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Thank for that info, this should helps if I facing any crash for recording in the future. :)