MSI Afterburner Startup Problem

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Scalextrix, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Scalextrix

Scalextrix Guest

GPU:
    GTX670 SC & GTX780Ti SC
    When Windows starts Afterburner does not. I have checked the apply overclock at startup check box, and this adds a startup item to Windows Task Scheduler. The problem I am seeing is the task added to Task Scheduler doesn't actually work.

On deeper investigation the task that is created automatically has an additional argument of '/s'. Im no expert but I cant find any windows document for the 'start' command that lists a valid argument of '/s'. If I amend the startup task to remove the argument and restart, then the task is overwritten and the argument is added back.

Im at the point where I have added my own startup task without the argument, and that works; I have disabled the startup task with the argument (otherwise the two startup tasks conflict). However periodically when I start my PC, the task with the argument becomes enabled again.

Perhaps Im way off track, but this seems incredibly difficult just to get this to startup properly. Whats going on?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I get intermittent boots when it won't start, but most the time it starts on its own

3. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Can't really answer why AB not starting but the /s is a switch coded for the app so windows will not have info on this .
    If you look at many of processes running on your system in command type you probably have few with switches which can be /x or -x .

I think the /s means silent and its for starting AB to bypass UAC evaluation .

4. Scalextrix

Scalextrix Guest

GPU:
    GTX670 SC & GTX780Ti SC
    Thanks for the responses, so here is whats odd, if I go to Task Scheduler and select the task with the argument '/s' and manually Run it, GPU fans spin up for maybe 1 second, then nothing happens.

If I go to my own task without the argument and manually Run it, AB starts.

There seems to be just something basically wrong with the standard AB scheduled task.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

There seem to be something wrong with fundamental understanding of AB usage basics!
    Startup daemon command line switch (/s) is NOT SUPPOSED to launch AB GUI! So does "Apply at windows startup" option, it serves for applying desired hardware settings at OS startup WITHOUT launching application GUI. Try to read context help for it please.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    "Start with Windows" in settings is that function though right?

7. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    That is correct. Together with the additional option 'Start minimized' checked under General properties (in Settings->General tab), Afterburner should provide a handy system tray icon after Windows has started.

8. ricsaka

ricsaka Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    There is an option for starting with windows in the Settings (a gear icon on the main interface).