8800GTX Fault - Help needed????

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bowny, May 29, 2008.

1. bowny

bowny New Member

GPU:
    Inno3D Nvidia 8800 Ultra
    First of all, Hi to all, 1st post on here so please bear with me and all that????

Ok to start I'm not a complete novice with a PC, I've built mine from the ground up. To help see with what I'm struggling with spec as.....

Intel Q6600 @2.4 mHz
    ASUS Commando Mobo
    4Gb Matched (2 x 2 x 1Gb) RAM
    Inno3D Nvidia 8800 Ultra
    VIA 6421 Chipset
    700W PSU
    Samsung 500Gb 501LJ SATA HD
    Samsung SH-S203 DVDRW
    Samsung SH-163B DVD-ROM
    LG GDR8164B DVD-ROM
    Creative eXtreme Gamer Soundcard
    Antec P180 Case

Now thats out the way my problem is as follows. I've bought in the full knowledge it was faulty a Nvidia 8800GTX as I'm about to start building a 2nd system. However the card seems to be a Nvidia OEM card or a reference design card or even a early review sample, there's no trace of any other manufacturer, bar Nvid itself. Card powers up no problem, but won't even post. I thought it would probably be a case of re-flashing the Bios. I've managed to boot my exsisting Ultra on 'half power' and also the GTX the same. In XP the system picks up the GTX in my 2nd PCI-E slot and I've got the drivers in and now it does pick it up as the 8800GTX and from within Windows everythings fine, but still can't boot from it!

What I'm asking therefore, if someone can please tell me what BIOS files I'm looking for? I've searched about and I'm none the wiser. Also is it possible to flash from within Windows i.e. a GUI? As I know for sure the cards working once started, I'm concerned as card won't boot by itself, a DOS flasher won't pick it up?

Anyone????

Or may be not the best idea, could I dump the Ultra bios and flash the GTX with it? I've heard it can be done, but I've obviously never even contemplated it, if anyone has any opinion?
    Many thanks, I've probably explained it totally upside out, upside down, but as I said earlier, I'm struggling - The reason I buy the 'top-end' cards is so I don't have to mess with them!!!

But it was a bargain!!!:bang:

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    You can't just flash a card of which you don't know what kind of specs it has. Try NiBiTor (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1636) to find out a little bit more about your graphic card and maybe even tweak it's settings a bit.

p.s.: What's up with those DVD drives you got there? Three DVD drives/burners? LOL

3. bowny

bowny New Member

GPU:
    Inno3D Nvidia 8800 Ultra
    Sorry, should have said. I can't get any info out of card....
    Adaptor G80-400 (10DE,0190,0000,0000)
    - Identifying EEPROM
    - EEPROM ID (FF,FF) Unknown
    - Error: Supported EEPROM Not Found

Now for my sins, I know a Guy who works making LCDTV's and he's checked the components over and he reckons all internals and connections/solders are fine. This is where I came to corrupted BIOS conclusion rightly or wrongly. I as ever don't know the exact history of card, but at a guess I'd say someones made a mess of a flash previous.

As for the drives.............. Do you know what they do? Each specifically? I do!

4. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    The LG GDR-8164B is the only DVD-ROM drive available today that will read Wii game discs allowing you to backup your original game disc.

The Samsung SH-163B DVD-ROM is for ripping 360 games? ;)

5. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Regarding your card: at least you found out that it's a G80. I think I would remove the cooler and take a look on the RAM chips and everything else underneath it, in order to find out as much as I could about the card and then make an educated guess. Before flashing: unless you know 100% that you found the right BIOS for your card, I would go with the one that has the most conservative clock speeds first.

6. bowny

bowny New Member

GPU:
    Inno3D Nvidia 8800 Ultra
    Fair enough on the drives!!!

Just ran new 4.1 Nibitor - no good. In Device manager GTX is sitting nice and pretty with correct drivers, but device code 10 - device cannot start. Of course I'm having to run my Ultra in PCI-E slot 1 to get a display, so thought that's fair enough as not to cause driver conflicts. I've realised now of course the cards not starting up = Nibitor doesn't see it so I can't ditch the BIOS and see boot settings.
    I've managed to dig out 8800GTX BIOS 60.80.0A.00.27 which is a 'clocked' version, but is compatible with a OEM card (so I'm told??). As I'm running low on ideas, I know Bus location etc of GTX, so is it possible I can I force flash it, bearing in mind the Ultra has to be in to give me any display? Soon as it's done and in, if and it's a big IF I can get it to display I can go about getting a compatible standard BIOS in there. If the truth be known, I'm more worried about it causing a problem to the Ultra. Please also bear in mind this GTX I bought as faulty (therefore VERY inexpensive) so I'm willing to take a chance to get it up and running - unlike the Ultra which, I'd rather go without my arms than mess up!
    Cheers

7. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Here you can find some tools: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/Utilities/BIOS_Flashing/NVIDIA/

As you said in your first post, you're not able to boot with the "GTX". So the only option you have is to flash from within Windows. The NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (NVFLASH) also requires that: "the Win32 and Mac OS 9 versions require that a NVIDIA driver be running on any cards that will be accessed by the utility." (http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/743/NVFlash_5.33_for_Windows.html).

To be honest I just recently found out that you can save a card this way (booting with another card and then flashing the corrupted one). You might be able to get some help from Guru3D member Nuff Said, since he was able to fix his card with a BIOS flash (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=261849).

Just make sure as I said before that you find out as much about your card as possible. The BIOS info that you're able to read out might not be the right BIOS for your card after all. It might already be the attempt from the previous owner in flashing the card with a BIOS that wasn't intended for it. ;)

8. Fahim

Fahim Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RADEON HD 5850 1GB Bl
    Can you save the bios and attach it here or send me in a email so i can check with my oem 8800 GTX and might be able to provide you the right bios.

9. bowny

bowny New Member

GPU:
    Inno3D Nvidia 8800 Ultra

No problem, I'm unable to post attachment on threads though, so it'll have to be e-mail I'm afraid.

Will PM for dets.
    Thanks.

10. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    2.4 GHz not MHz :)
    Sorry I'm picky but you might find some idiot who tells you your CPU is underclocked

11. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
  12. bowny

bowny New Member

GPU:
    Inno3D Nvidia 8800 Ultra
    Oops

LOL. :stewpid: I don't suppose the excuse 'I'm taking REAL good care of it' will cut it?

OK, OK!! You got me.

13. bowny

bowny New Member

GPU:
    Inno3D Nvidia 8800 Ultra
    No, the BIOS this card was running according to the card sticker (that's all I've got to go on) was 60.80.0B.00.04

Have grabbed that stock BIOS in any case thanks. I'm holding fire until Fahim has a look at the BIOS which was recommended to me. To all who've took time out to contribute - I'm grateful for your help.
    It maybe the card can't be salvaged but for £30 - 60$ it has to be worth a shot! Oh and Cyber Mancer, I've looked at the utility link, thanks for that, some great stuff on there.

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Found the original stock BIOS - It's DELL! Now does this cause ant compatibility probs with a non Dell machine? It couldn't be a monitor issue surely?
    For the record I run my display on a Samsung LCD HDTV - model LE19 R8 native resolution 1440 x 900.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  14. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  15. Fahim

Fahim Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RADEON HD 5850 1GB Bl
    Hi,

please check the email. I hope the bios i put in the image helps.

16. thedozyone

thedozyone Guest

GPU:
    2 x MSI 970GTX 4G SLi
    I know this is an old post but I have the same issue did you ever fix this?

I've tried numerous BIOS files but it always fails and says not found.

Is there any way of forcing it? I think it is a vanilla Nvidia 8800GTX card