Shuttle NC01U Smallest Ever PC Solution

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The demand for increasingly small, but high-performance PC solutions has now been met by four versions of Shuttle's NC01U model. These 29 mm slim barebones are based on the latest Broadwell generatio...

Shuttle NC01U Smallest Ever PC Solution

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Seems Raspberry Pi is still the cheapest solution for Mame box...

Is it?

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    There are cheaper options, such as CHIP (a $9 computer). There are also smaller options than RPi, and platforms of similar size but with much more performance; Hardkernel makes a lot of these.

This Shuttle NUC isn't even the smallest x86 PC. VIA has made smaller platforms.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Hardkernel... Nice.

I knew I was wrong ;)

5. Elfa-X

Elfa-X Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 XT
    I'll get excited about a small form factor PC when I can get a 5960X, 16GB of DDR4 3000, a 4TB SSD and a 980 ti in that size.

Hard to get excited about tiny PC's when they have tiny power to match.

6. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    Hi Hilbert,
    i have bought this barebone kit for my brother, thinking it would be great, but to my dismal surprise the FAN is extremely loud, i already installed the latest bios, but in the health monitor section, there are only settings for the fan like: smart auto, ultra low, low, medium, full. If i set it to ultra low it runs with 3800rpm and is already very audiable, if i set it to smart auto, it is turned off until approx 42 degress celsius of the cpu and than it again turns on with these 3800rpm. I find this terrible and surpirsing, as i have several zboxes from zotac with similar specs and these are absolutely silent.
    Have you seen this behavior with your example as well, or should i think that mine is defective? Eventually have you found a program for windows with which to set the fanspeed? ive already tried speedfan, hwmonitor, but neither of them even recognises the fan and wont show the fanspeed (i can only check the fanspeed in bios)?
    thanks

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hey, sorry to hear you ran into issues.

On my side the fan could be heard slightly with the CPU stressed, nothing that worried me though. You will need to regulate FAN RPM in the BIOS (as with any motherboard these days).

My advice would be to remove and reseat the cooler as it sounds like one of the push pins is not mounted/secured properly (and I do hate these push-pin style cooler).

If the problem remains, yep ... RMA it or pick up a low-profile cooler from Noctua or something, ... but that should not be necessary.

8. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    Thanks for the swift reply Hilbert.
    The thing is even under Intel burn in test the temperature doesnt go over 47 degrees on each of the cores, so i think the cooling solution works as intended. What the issue really is, is that even if i set the fan speet to ultra low in the bios it sets it to 3800rpm (in the bios itself), and high is just about like 4500rpm, i think thers something wrong with the bios, not the fan?
    i guess ill send it back and ask for a replacement one... or i could just disconnect the fan and it should be an issue either.