Set CPU Affinity for Afterburner

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by WatchMe, Mar 22, 2012.

1. WatchMe

WatchMe Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5970 2GB
    You guys eventually know that you can limit CPU Affinity for processes.
    I think i noticed that Afterburner always uses the Cores the Game.exe i am recording are set to.

Means if i limit Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning to CPU4 and CPU5 its runs well but when i start recording, those 2 CPUs are used aswell and the framerate drops. So using 3CPUs makes it run fine again.

So might ask "why should you even set CPU affinity in the first place?".

Well actually i want to play Tera Online. That Game is srsly CPU heavy. But i realised that my Phenom II X6 1090T performs way better if i set Tera to a maximum of 4 Cores.

So while this improves my average fps by almost 20 fps in the problematic regions it might cause trouble when i start recording with Afterburner.

Can i somehow force Afterburner to use the other 2 free Cores instead of bullying the ones used by Tera? Maybe even Unwinder could gift me an answer? <3

2. Licaon

Licaon Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX660Ti-OC
    what stops you to assign MSIAB those 2 cores 'TaskManager->afterburner.exe->set affinity-> check 2 cores..ok' ?

3. WatchMe

WatchMe Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5970 2GB
    afterburner just wont use the cores allthoug i set the affinity to them. It always seems to use the cores the game is accessing. So limiting the cores is only possible by setting affinity of the game.

I'm not able to seperate Afterburner and Game.

4. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    I fear that maybe recording is done via some kind of injection or something (dx/full screen recording looks tricky, since most software has special modes for it). So maybe its a limitation.

On the other hand, there are a few programs which are sooooooo light when recording and not so known (i can record BF3 for example at 1080p 24fps (game still runs at 60) resolution with only 2-5fps cost), PM me if you want info (they are not free, so pay or live with a little watermark or..., but well)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012