Intel Skylake Core i7-6700K Versus Core i7-4790K CPU Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Seems like an increase of 5-10%.
    I hate lack of competition.

3. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    i think intel would be better off scrap dual core cpu have the entry level 4 core cpu then replace z97 with 6 core cpus and replace x99 with 8 core or over

4. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    lol. No need to upgrade if you run 2600k or higher. I was hoping for higher but that's not going to happen. I will wait for Guru3d or other big tech sites to review it first but my 4790k is still a beast. my next upgrade will rather be more cores. the -E CPU's but I feel with dx12 I might not need to upgrade for a very long time. Even intel fanboys needs to hope AMD zen brings some real competition to the table at least price wise. It doesn't have to beat the best intel cpu's but even if it compares to a 4c/8t i7 but costs lower it will be a win in my books.

5. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    sandy bridge best ever cpu

at the bottom of the chart, is that single core performance? If so it's impressive.

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I think that is the iGPU part of the test. So waiting a bit more for the next intel processors skipping skylake.

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    WinRAR benchmark and everything is Clear :D
    Rest is BS.... For benchmarkers as always -> New = More but it's BS
    In WinRAR and 7-Zip etc. shows that nothing is really better.

8. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    tbh not expecting much more than this, will wait for Hilberts and various of tech sites reviews, but regardless I'm most likely getting on this chip as I want a new build this year after having my Z77 for 3 years I have an itch that needs to be scratched

The next Intel Chip will be Kaby Lake, and it'll offer about the same as Skylake. If you truly want a mainstream chip to give you a valid reason to upgrade from a 3770K your going to be waiting until at least 2017 for 10nm and Canonlake at the earliest.

The massive leaps in IPC days are gone, have been since Sandy, they won't be back anytime soon. Not until the market actually needs it.

Efficiency and IGP is what Intel are after now end of, if people want more cores thats what Intels X99 platform is for, so don't expect more than 4 cores on the mainstream platform anytime soon either.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Well, maybe if Zen actually performs good Intel can will give us more cores at mainstream. i5's 6core 12Threads would be amazing at 250€ and probably be instant hit.

Btw, is it just me or Skylake performs worse than Broadwell clock to clock? 5775c at 4.2Ghz beat both of this CPU's.

10. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

I hate this so ****ing much. People wishing for ZEN to be good, just so they can then buy better intel cpu`s.

Really scummy. Hope AMD steps out of desktop CPU`s and GPU`s entirely, so you all get what you deserve.

11. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    At this rate there's no need to get a new processor more often than every 10 years tops. Personally I never buy new hardware unless I can get a performance increase of more than 100%, which is going to take almost 15 years if there's only a 5% increase each year. Even if they manage say 7% it's still gonna take 10 years, so Intel won't be getting my money very often. I will probably get a Skylake-E CPU though, since my i7-950 is holding me back quite a bit. Unless the dollar goes further up that is, then I won't buy anything the next few years.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Chill man. No body is steping out, competition is healthy and we all would love prices to go down. I just said whats interesting in my mind. If Zen becomes next Athlon64 i will be first one to buy it.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If AMD can do SMT properly then they get like 20% boost over Excavator CMT just from that. While it would not be enough to get same IPC as intel has, delivering 8Core CPU as they plan for desktops would put any i3/i5 down. And likely any non-K i7 too as without OC that HT does not do that much in non-specialized applications.
    If AMD can get Zen to be really 40% better on IPC side than Excavator, then it will wipe floor even with 4C/8T unlocked i7s. Then there would be only 6C/12T i7s left above that.

But I realistically see Zen to have 20~30% better IPC than Excavator, as AMD not always get all features they plan into release. And there is that another elephant in room, that is how high clock will GloFo 14nm allow.
    And if AMD allows for unlocked TDP. As Kaveri A10-7850k was already very good on CPU side, but it was very limited by TDP.

And yes, If Zen can deliver decent IPC and decent single threaded performance while running 8 threads, I would get one too, but I would get 6-core i5 if it came and was better at time.

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Not too bad considering that it's running at 200 MHz lower speed.

15. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    You really are a hateful individual.
    Intel is the best choice right now. Would you be surprised if people would avoid Zen after seeing how the FX-8350 started bottlenecking games in time? Obviously people would prefer sticking to Intel since their processors have delivered the sought-after features (performance, reliability, low heat).

Myself included. I'd probably stick to Intel unless Zen is really good (like Undying said, Athlon64-grade). I despise some of AMD's practices, cheap marketing being the first thing that comes to mind. 'Best GPU ever made', 'Titan killer' 'Bulldozer is going to be faster than the competition'. Vaporware all over. I am personally not affected because I, as well as many users around here, tend to see through their bull**** and wait for reviews. But the average unknowable fellow won't know better and buy their product only to find out it's not all sunshine and bunnies. That is unforgivable in my book.
    So yeah, I believe I have a damn good reason to stick to Intel. You have no idea how glad I am that I didn't buy the FX-8350 and went for the 2600k instead.

Not that Intel is a saint, they did some horrible **** back in the P4 days like paying vendors to purchase their products in order to maintain marketshare. I just find Intel's screwups more bearable since they hardly affected the regular consumer (us).

Tell me. Why should I trust AMD right now that Zen will deliver?

All of that is assuming DX12 will deliver the promised core scaling and that Intel won't lower their prices. Which they most likely will, if we assume your scenario will be true. And assuming they won't counter with a stronger chip which is quite likely as well.

But since I'm after performance I would probably buy it if it's very good.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015

16. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I'm really liking how well my Westmere (pre Sandy Bridge) 6core / 12 thread X5650 us holding out after all these years!

(my X5680 is still in the post - got sent to wrong address somehow -.-" )

This will easily tide me over until AMD bring out something Interesting with Zen!
    I'd love to see some HBM stuck on the thing as an extra large cache to help tweak performance :)

Intel's "dragging of their feet" though frustrating has really Helped keep AMD in the picture CPU wise. All together I'm sure it will help push CPU advancement forwards after this big lull.

Lots of new high performance cores running AMD's version of HyperThreading and more power efficient what I have would be just fine. 165watts idle I feel over each year a touch running 24/7 - especially in hot summers.

17. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    This is exactly why, when it came time for me to replace my old Phenom system, I went with Intel. Empty promises, delays and vaporware. I enjoyed my 9850BE and my Athlon 64 before that, I had hoped that AMD would release another good CPU to upgrade to.

In the end I went with a 3570k and I don't regret the choice a single bit.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    To Bold: Actually it did bottleneck many GPUs from start. Low IPC and not high enough clock. So if Zen delivers promised IPC and high enough clock, only fools would evade it based on historical reasons.

To Underline: Back then they prevented AMD from getting a lot of money, and current poor situation we as customers are in is partly (not small one) due to AMD not having those money.

With rest I pretty much agree.

19. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    So disappointing, at this point I think even when the kabylake processors come out in a year it will simply be a similar performing cpu with a slightly smaller power draw...just like they all seem to be these days.

I want as 6 core unlocked cpu with a 4ghz base clock for $500, is it too much to ask for?

20. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Bold: I know, I was referring to the current situation. If it really is good and it will be time to upgrade, you'd bet your nuts I'll be getting it. No questions asked.

Under: I'm not sure about that, it was a very long time ago (10 years). AMD has mostly succumbed due to poor management and decisions if you ask me. They did make a lot of money with Athlon64, enough to drive future R&D. They just bought ATI Technologies and went for APUs instead.

Unlike others, I do not believe purchasing ATI wasn't worth it. They did overpay but they also got a lot in return. AMD is doing quite well on the GPU front, even if there's a lot of people bashing them because of rebrands. I might even dare to say that GPUs are keeping them afloat at this point.
    But you could argue that by not purchasing ATI they wouldn't have gotten into this mess. Mixed bag.